Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

501 - 520 of 543 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all,

I just bought a new 2019 Adventure trim and I'm wondering if anyone else with AWD with the Rear Driveline Disconnect feature has noticed a slight "clunk" noise when braking, right around 19-20MPH.

I'm thinking it is the driveline disconnect re-engaging the rear wheels, because when I set the gauge cluster display to show the engagement and torque vectoring of the AWD system, the noise correlates to when the driveline is engaged and re-engaged on the display. When I put the car in sport mode, which forces AWD all the time, the noise does not happen on deceleration/braking.

It mostly happens during deceleration/braking, but only occasionally during acceleration, right as the display indicates power has been cut from the rear wheels (as I've gotten up to speed).

I took it to a Toyota dealership but the Techs there acted like it was a spaceship that they had never seen before since it is so new, and had no idea it even had rear driveline disconnect, or what that even was. They said it didn't sound "bad" but admitted they heard the noise too.

At the end of the day, I guess I'm asking "Does anyone else's Adventure or Limited with the AWD make a slight clunk noise when braking around 19-20 mph?"
there is a new service bulletin out on this T-SB-0019-20 dated march3,2020 . Just came out Replace electromagnetic clutch assembly in transfer case

·
Registered
74 Posts
Where did you find that? Whats the difference between the old TSB and the newly released TSB?

there is a new service bulletin out on this T-SB-0019-20 dated march3,2020 . Just came out Replace electromagnetic clutch assembly in transfer case
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi im new to the forum because ive been trying to figure out whats wrong with my new 2019 rav4 limited 4WD, a 43k new car ! Basically, i have the same sound, it started around 6k miles into my purchase, just makes the sounds randomly now at whatever speed like a gear change or something/vibration and ive been to the dealership and they said there is no sound and nothing is wrong. However, i caught the sounds on video now and will be going there Monday to see what they say but from what i can read here is not going to be much good news. I will analyze my options as i will not be driving in sport mode to avoid the noise and neither will a wait for them 4ever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been a diehard Toyota customer for 2 decades and have bought 11 new Toyotas across that time. In the last few years, especially with the new generation 2016 Tacoma Off Road and now with the 2019 RAV4 Adventure I have been very disappointed to see Toyota field vehicles with obvious issues (maddening transmission shifting schedule with the 2016 Taco and Transfer Case DTV issue with the RAV4 Adventure). Toyota has largely ignored the outpour of complaints…throwing a TSB bone to their dealers/customers but refusing to design/devise a real fix and issuing a recall. If I had not invested many thousands$ in off road upgrades to my 2016 Toy I would have sold it already. Our longtime Toyota dealership has supported us the best they can with the RAV4 continually worsening “moaning” issue but Toyota Corp is just throwing the SAME PARTS into a TSB smoke screen fix with no real solution in sight. Loosing 5 MPG by having to drive in Sport mode is not an acceptable fix. We decided enough is enough and no longer have confidence in Toyota. We visited the Subaru dealership last week and traded the RAV4 in on a 2019 Outback with all the bells and whistles. Given the number of RAV4 Adventures out there they have been traded in with less than 6K miles in the recent months, we got the best trade in we could and still lost over $8K from what we paid for the RAV4 6 months ago. The 2019 Outback cost $3.5K less than the RAV4 new. It is at least 50% quieter than the RAV4 (RAV4 doesn’t even have sound deadening mat under hood), handles better on highway and on the bad dirt road to our house, has more comfortable seats, has real leather seats, has Android App support, much better BSD indication on outside mirror assy, and accelerates much smoother. Adios Toyota…never coming back.
This is very ironic. I am going back and forth between the Subaru Outback Touring XL and the Rav4 Adventure. I need to tow 3500 which is why I am looking at XL. Both tricked out about the same price. However, I don't always read positive things about the Rav4 Adventure. It's REALLY good looking, and the Subaru is super predictable as it hasn't changed much in looks in years. Still, I live INSIDE the car, and the subie is super nice to drive. When I tested the Adventure, I was suprised when I put the pedal to the metal to check acceleration that it seemed to respond very reluctantly. Noisy, jerky. I wish the damn thing wasn't so cute! OR, I wish I felt better about the way it drove.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New to forum, too. Just started to hear a groaning sound @ 4k miles in my 2019 RAV4 Adventure after 20-40 min driving.

Curious if this is the same noise you all were hearing or something different?

Uploaded to YT:

Groan at 0:05, 0:16, 0:20

·
Registered
605 Posts
That's the telltale noise, but it sounds like yours hasn't progressed to the "mooing" stage yet. Listen to Quickdtoo's video. There's a TSB specifically for this issue, so head on over to your dealer and complain. Bring a copy of the TSB from the Transfer Case TSB thread here for good measure in case they try to blow you off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's the telltale noise, but it sounds like yours hasn't progressed to the "mooing" stage yet. Listen to Quickdtoo's video. There's a TSB specifically for this issue, so head on over to your dealer and complain. Bring a copy of the TSB from the Transfer Case TSB thread here for good measure in case they try to blow you off.

Thanks a lot, figured that was it. Off to the dealer...

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2019 Limited just started doing this last week. Have about 9,300 miles on it. I’m thinking if I get the expected dealer Serivce run around to get this repaired it will be time to trade this in on something else.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My 2019 Limited just started doing this last week. Have about 9,300 miles on it. I’m thinking if I get the expected dealer Serivce run around to get this repaired it will be time to trade this in on something else.
Sigh.... Let me suggest this:

1. Find the new TSB pdf file, and print it out. It has been posted in this thread.

2. Drive to the dealership that you want to have do the work. Bring the printout of the TSB file with you.

3. Show them the TSB printout. Tell them you have the noise. Ask for an appointment to have the work done.

4. Show up at the appointment time.

That's how it works. It's not really very difficult, at all. I had this done a couple of weeks ago, and the dealership I went to duplicated the noise, and replaced the part. All done, warranty work, no cost.

If you have a dealership that treats you poorly, stop purchasing cars from that dealership. And bear in mind that any Toyota dealership can do this warranty repair. I'm actually quite happy with my dealership -- no "run around" at all. They were very well aware of this issue, and they even had the replacement parts in stock. And now the "groan" is gone.

Good luck.

·
Registered
605 Posts
It's too bad people even have to print out the TSB and do their job for them. Finding another dealer, especially a good one, is not always an option either depending on where you live. If you didn't buy your new car from them in the first place, good luck there too.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I did a google and found the new TSB here (also attached) and it states that it supersedes T-SB-0065-19:

They added a whole section related to VIN number

Mine falls into the last category. I think this will be a great help in getting the job done rather than blown off.

Here's something else they added to the new TSB, Apparently, there is damage/wear that can occur:

Attachments

Reactions: XA50_Trail

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great find JFox562, I kinda gave up on the noise after I had the T-SB-0065-19 done back in July 2019 and the noise went away then grew louder month after month. After comparing it to the T-SB-0019-20 there are different parts numbers Electro-magnetic Clutch Assy and the Lock Nut. I will be calling my local Toyota to have this swapped out i guess...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had mine in for the TSB today and can confirm from the service receipt that they did the new TSB. My car did not make the groaning noise all the time so I’ll give it a few days of driving before declaring its fixed.
My VIN falls in the range prior to the one listed for TMMC-W.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did a google and found the new TSB here (also attached) and it states that it supersedes T-SB-0065-19:

View attachment 152795

Mine falls into the last category. I think this will be a great help in getting the job done rather than blown off.

Here's something else they added to the new TSB, Apparently, there is damage/wear that can occur:

View attachment 152796
THANK YOU! I have to go back to do a ride along with a tech to prove this noise. Since my dealership "couldn't hear it" & "couldn't find the noise", I am finally getting this handled today with this update.

·
Registered
961 Posts
THANK YOU! I have to go back to do a ride along with a tech to prove this noise. Since my dealership "couldn't hear it" & "couldn't find the noise", I am finally getting this handled today with this update.
Does your VIN fall into the listing in the new TSB? If so, lean on that fact with your dealer. Toyota know that the failed parts are on your vehicle. They don't have a leg to stand on in the case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does your VIN fall into the listing in the new TSB? If so, lean on that fact with your dealer. Toyota know that the failed parts are on your vehicle. They don't have a leg to stand on in the case.
I think so. I have it printed with my vin number so I am going to show it to him. Since it's a lot warmer, the noise is a lot worse and very clear now. There is no way with me driving it that they can't hear it

·
Registered
961 Posts
I think so. I have it printed with my vin number so I am going to show it to him. Since it's a lot warmer, the noise is a lot worse and very clear now. There is no way with me driving it that they can't hear it
You might try this hint from the TSB. Take it to a parking lot where you can perform this without the tech and see if you can make it happen on demand.

Basically what they would be doing if they were to do it.

·
Registered
392 Posts

View attachment 152795

View attachment 152796
Awesome, thanks for posting that!

Mine has always been clicks and clunks, but I will describe as a buzz from now on so it matches the TSB better :). Got one of the earlier batches of RAV4s, so my VIN is well within the range.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Toyota says clicking/clunking while AWD enggages/disengages is normal. There is a TT about that. Buzzing/groaning is covered under the TSB.

501 - 520 of 543 Posts