Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

541 - 543 of 543 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same "groaning/buzzing" issue with the rear disconnect on my 2019 Limited AWD since hitting 10,000miles. Now that it has 20,000miles (and due for its 20K service), I finally decided to bring it up to my Toyota service dealer at the service today. I was pleasantly pleased by them, as it was pretty straight forward with my dealership. Their technician verified the noise on a test drive. They did my 20K service and ordered the replacement parts for repairs this coming Wednesday.

Some suggestions as mentioned by others in this thread:
1. Bring a copy of the TSB. It gives the impression that you did some research and they are less likely to BS you.
2. Warm up the car before your appointment. The car has to warm up by driving around for at least 30mins for the noise to appear (at least for my car). But once it starts, it's pretty repeatable during acceleration and braking. I drove around until the noise appeared right before my scheduled appointment. I did this because I knew they will want to "verify" the noise before doing anything. So this way the car is in the "noise making" state when they do the test drive as they likely will just drive around the block and back.
3. Try to do the test drive yourself with the technician accompanying you. You know best the driving behavior that brings on the noise. I wasn't able to for my case as all the technicians were busy, but by doing step#2 above, my noise was verified based on what I saw in my dash cam video(*see side note).

*Sidenote - highly recommend installing a dashcam in your car. I installed a Viofo 129 Duo Pro (front and rear) in mine and hardwired it for parking mode. It's great for insurance purposes when there's an accident. But in this case, it was entertaining when I brought my car in for service. I saw the whole video of the technician(s) driving my car and trying to verify the noise. It captured them driving around the block, the audio of the noise and one of them saying "did you hear that?...there's that noise". And since I have parking mode enabled (such that the dash cam continues to capture video/audio with the car off) I got to see how they treated my car during its service, where usually they drive it off and I just wait in the waiting area.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Got the car back from the service center that Wednesday night. Been driving it in "Normal" mode since then on my normal route to and from work (which is about 30miles each way) and haven't heard any noise from the transfer case. Before the repair, I would always hear it on that route. Will update if the noise returns (the noise didn't start on my original transfer case until ~10K). Would be good to hear from those who had the transfer case repair work done if the noise returned or not after putting a lot of mileage on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, I think it came back after transfer case repair. 2019 Adventure @ 4700mi, still hearing the noise after dealer TSB service.

Here is sound before TSB 0019-20:
Groan @ 0:05, 0:16, 0:20

And here is sound after TSB 0019-20:
Groan @ 0:07, 0:13, 0:24, 0:30

General impression is that it's lower volume, very short duration, occurs less often. Really don't have time to debug, bringing it back to dealer again, they have a tool to listen to engine noises.

541 - 543 of 543 Posts