Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me 05 AWD, got front quiet down with new sway bar links. Then new tires rides like a dream. Now I hear a dull clunk in the rear going over bumps. I've searched the forum but didn't see anything that fit. I want to fix it myself, I paid someone on the front links. I could have done it myself but didn't have the time and wanted it fixed asap. Any hints where to start at the rear. Has 194,800 miles, shocks look to be originals. underside is pretty clean. I'm third owner second was family that had it for 8 years (girl driven) Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Start simple: change your shocks. An easy job for starters. That many miles on original shocks: need to go. I had a clunk on my CUTE 1997 two door with only 67,000 original miles (!!!) and changing shocks took care of a lot of problems, including the clunk. 2 hour job with coffee breaks......:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Roadjunkie, I think that's what I'll do, I got to get it registered that's going to cost me 500.00 from what I'm hearing so after that I'll get on the shocks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea when I get around to it I was going to try Monroes I heard from a front end man he said he didn't like Gabriels. Me being cheap I loosened up the lock nut on top and was able to tighten the other nut up I know I was compressing the bushing down alittle further over all didn't help. I rechecked the spare it was tight. The lower trim panel on the back door (outside panel) was rattleing some I crammed some foam in behide it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I think me tightening up those nuts on top of the shock is making the clunk louder. I was on EBAY and saw some shocks for 38.44 free shipping so I ordered them. Their Sensen brand. I read some reviews on them some good some bad. The main bad ones were their struts. So maybe the shocks will hold up for a bit. Suppose to be here next Friday.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That is what I put on the front and rear of my RAV4. The rear work great and stopped all the noise. The front are a bit weird. They seem to bounce a bit more than I like, but I honestly do not remember what it was like when the original struts were in good shape.

I do not recall paying 38.44 for them though. I bought them off Rockauto if I recall and they were a fair amount cheaper.
Yea I read somewhere somebody picked some up for 8.00 a piece, I thought 38.44 wasn't to bad compared to the name brands out there and free shipping. Its worth a try got to be better that what I got now. I got on the web site for that company they seem ok, its in China. Im looking forward to putting them on plus I got a radio coming for it also the T1808 Scion one. New Shocks came in today, so will be putting them on this weekend so Ill post when I get them on to see if it takes care of the clunk.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well got the new shocks on today and the CLUNK IS GONE, so we'll see how long these will last. The old shocks showed signs of leaking that I didn't see before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts