Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been experiencing a knocking noise coming from the rear end of my 2010 AWD Rav4, and cannot figure out where its coming from. It happens usually when going over rough stretches of road when the rear end starts to bounce a little more, not so much when I hit a single bump or crack in the road. Sounds metallic and I think I can confidently say it's coming from both sides of the car, but closer to the center than it is the wheels. My first thought was the rear stabilizer bar bushings, I had replaced the front bushings last fall and figured it would make sense that the rears were shot. As far as I can tell they feel ok, nice and tight. Not the links either, those were replaced last fall. Anyways this has been going on for a little while now, just a knocking noise, until a few days ago. In addition to the knocking I am starting to get a loud popping noise from the same area, usually when I am driving slowly and the car get rocked a little bit (like pulling into a driveway or parking lot). Sounds like something briefly binding then popping free. This generally doesn't start happening until the car has been driven for a little bit.

Yesterday I spent some quality time under the car looking for anything that could be making noise when I noticed the inner axle has a bit in and out play, I can move it enough that I can create a decent clunk. I also can feel a slight tick in the joint when turning the wheel by hand. I'm not too familiar with the axles on the Rav, but it looks like this is how they are supposed to be installed, with a little bit of movement. I did ask a shop and was told it most likely not the axles because they rarely go bad, but I cant see any other cause for this noise. It does have over 200k on it, so there's bound to be some wear.

Two videos, one with my phone in the car as I moved the joints around, the other shows the movement.
Untitled

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, decided to take them all apart this morning. Turns out the new links I put in last fall spit out all their grease and seized up. The nuts holding the sway bar on loosened up slightly while the bar rubbing stripped the threads, giving me the illusion that everything was tightened down. Everything got pinched in there enough that it felt tight until I took it all apart. Got some new links and all is well.

side note, not that it’s giving me any issues, is that much movement in the inner axle normal? The only other car I’ve had with rear cv axles was a forester, and I seem to remember them snapping in a little more tight to the diff. I could be wrong though, I never really had a reason to give them much thought.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Yeah, decided to take them all apart this morning. Turns out the new links I put in last fall spit out all their grease and seized up. The nuts holding the sway bar on loosened up slightly while the bar rubbing stripped the threads, giving me the illusion that everything was tightened down. Everything got pinched in there enough that it felt tight until I took it all apart. Got some new links and all is well.

side note, not that it’s giving me any issues, is that much movement in the inner axle normal? The only other car I’ve had with rear cv axles was a forester, and I seem to remember them snapping in a little more tight to the diff. I could be wrong though, I never really had a reason to give them much thought.
Which brand was the old ones?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They were a set of Moog ones from Rock Auto. One was far worse that the other. What grease was left inside the boot looked like it had a bit of a sandy salty mess from the winter. The second seemed a little rough but not bad, might have just gotten a bad batch. Picked up a set of Duralast ones from the local store, we’ll see how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts