Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Rear end seized at 60 !!!!!!

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ThePhatRav4 
#1 ·
Hello, I had my rear end seize at 60 mph today :eek::eek:,,what a ride me and the dog had,,,WOW!! Had some tools so i took the pumpkin cover off and didnt see any pieces,so i put the cover back on and took the inner cv flange off and hung the cv joints with wire to make it home and the rear end still made plenty of noise(inside) but as i was in the middle of nowhere i had to do it! When i drove it i had to lock in the differential cause the front end wasnt working without ,,is that normal?I thought it was all wheel drive?
So i was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this or knows what it could be. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 ·
Figured it out!!

Well, took the diff apart today:mad:, and found that the inner pinion bearing came apart and one of the bearings(roller) must have stuck in between the ring gear and the pinion gear and i just missed it checking it on the side of the road the other day(less than ideal working conditions though,in my defense).
Anyway made it home safe and lived throgh it,good thing i was on a straitaway instead of windy mountain roads with 100' dropoffs as i was the day before!!:eek::eek:. Still skidded about 50 yrd's brfore doing a 180 and ending up on the other side ditch facing backwards!! WOW WHAT A RIDE!! And the dog did not like it either.
Later,Mikeinmaine

#3 ·
Do you really have a 4.2? Didn't know the 4.2 came with lockable center diff?

And yes, you would have to lock the center diff, as it is just that, a differential, just like the one you have in the rear and in the front. Without locking it all the power goes to the wheels that spins the fastest, in your case the disconnected rear wheels.

If I'm not wrong though (feel free to correct me here), the 4.2 has a torsen center diff that locks up gradually if the front and rear wheels are spinning at different speeds, while the 4.3 instead has a diff lock?

#4 ·
cheetah

Sorry but i wrote 2001(do have one too)but i meant 1999 that is the one that did this(own 2 ravs). Anyway i bought a used rear end and threw that in and all is well now.:) But my dog is now traumatized ,he acts like its going to happen again whenever he rides now,always bracing himself and acting woorried,lol,hopefully he gets over it.
Thank for explaining the diff for me though.
later all,,,,,,,,,,,mikeinmaine

#6 ·
Alright so I'm doing 60mph on the way to the airport for work. I'm about 5 mins away and CLUNK.
Well that was obviously not goo-CLUNK.
Didn't know 4wd would drift so easily.
I'm now perpendicular to a busy backroad inches off the shoulder and here's the symptoms.
No CEL. Coolants reading normal. Engines running fine.
I shift into drive give it some gas and I get an attempt to move but it's more like I'm holding the e-brake. Only revs to 2000. Shift into reverse. Same deal. Shift into neutral, give her some gas, engine revs freely past 6k. Shift into park same deal. Have no visual loss of fluids, no visual destruction of the drivetrain.
Got it towed home.
Just spent 5 hours getting the front differential assembly off the transmission because originally I suspected the rear diff locked since the rear wouldn't spin. Lift the back end up and wheels turn smoothly by hand. After having the diff out I can feel that something is wedged inside stopping the gears.

Bought this car a few months ago and swapped the motor. Neglected to check gear fluids and I haven't done the trans filter either.
Guess what I'm going to buy tomorrow.

Anyway wanted to share as many details to some strangers with the same love of rav4s.

2001 Silver RAV4 auto. #4bangr #driftlife

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.