Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! I have recently noticed a very concerning side to side sway of the rear end of my 2010 RAV4. Has about 110k miles. I have replaced the rear sway bar end links, rear struts, and rear lower control arms, all to no avail. I still experience a bad sway (yaw). This is not a roll. Any ideas!? I’ve done a lot of inspection and I’m not seeing anything wrong. When I’m doing anywhere around 60 mph and slightly move the steering wheel back and forth, I can feel the rear end sway back and forth and then straighten back out. I’m lost. Thank you!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Easiest thing to check (hate to say it as I’m sure it’s been done) is proper tire pressures in all 4 tires. I’ve had cases on other people’s cars where the tires are down by 10lbs and there’s a lot more motion than there should be.

Having checked that, at your RAV’s age and miles, have you checked the bushings in the suspension components? Specifically the mounting bushings of the sway bars (front and rear) and the control arms to the subframes. You’ve done the obvious ones, but there may be something in these... make sure to check the front axle too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. I have actually checked all tires and they’re all perfectly inflated. :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
Take it in to get an alignment / check? Maybe you hit some potholes and something got shifted to where it's not noticeable in terms of a component?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Loose wheel bearing? Do you have the same tires (size, brand, model) on the front and the back?
Yes, all tires are the same. I just remembered that I removed the wheel bearing hub assembly a while back when trying to remove the axle to replace the axle seal at the diff, so I tore it back apart and noticed the wheel bearing is completely shot. That’s gotta be my issue. New part ordered and arrives in 2 days. Thanks everyone for your help! Greatly appreciated. Wish I could post the video of the wheel bearing 😜

·
Registered
54 Posts
Glad you found the problem. I asked about the tires because I used to drive all kinds of old beaters with mix and match tires, sometimes creating squirmy handling.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It feels so good when you finally find the problem your self, isn't it ? :) Nice!

Let me ask, there was not any sound from the wheel bearing at all? It was just the movement i guess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It feels so good when you finally find the problem your self, isn't it ? :) Nice!

Let me ask, there was not any sound from the wheel bearing at all? It was just the movement i guess.
Yes! There really wasn’t any sound. If I hit a big enough crack in the road in town, I could almost hear a slight ‘knock’, but that was it. I would have thought there would have been a grinding sound or something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
New wheel bearing hub replaced and tight. Wheel no longer wobbles when I try to move it at 3&9, 12&6, but the rear end is still swaying terribly. What now!? It feels like the rear sway arm isn’t attached to the body or something. All bushings felt tight and didn’t look damaged.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well if everything with the suspension/steering is tight, I would continue to check all the wheel bearings, dragging brakes (check if one wheel is warmer than the other after a drive) defective tire(s); are your rims OEM spec, tires one of the recommended sizes? Broken spring? Weak front struts? With that mileage, they're getting there (you don't have struts in the back) Any changes to the exterior affecting aerodynamics? Extra weight? You might need a good inspection and alignment check...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Going over the rear suspension parts for my own knowledge.. noticed there are control arms that are adjustable for toe in-out. Are those the ones you changed? The other two (upper and lower) don't seem to have any adjustable features. If the rear alignment is off the back of the vehicle will hunt around on the road instead of findings it's happy place behind the front wheels.

·
Registered
995 Posts
New wheel bearing hub replaced and tight. Wheel no longer wobbles when I try to move it at 3&9, 12&6, but the rear end is still swaying terribly. What now!? It feels like the rear sway arm isn’t attached to the body or something. All bushings felt tight and didn’t look damaged.
How are the toe links. Your are the turn buckle kind that are suppose to be epoxied tight. I have a bad toe link on another car that made the rear end dance around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts