Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SO was driving and got cut off, then rear-ended by someone.

Kind of a bummer since we've had the car for a month, but nobody was hurt, and the bumper damage is probably not a big problem.

Has anyone else noticed more near misses because of the full-power brake assist or auto-braking?

in this case, it sounded like if the car didn't stop as fast as it did, she hits the jackass who cut her off.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The collision avoidance system should never be relied on for braking or anything else, its there for when you're not paying attention. Anyway, it does not apply "full braking" unless a crash is immanent. IOW if you didn't actually hit the obstruction it wasn't applying full braking.

Not to be confused with the RASS speed control system which slows the car in a different way. If the collision avoidance system is activated you get all the beeps and warnings, RASS quietly slows the car.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,730 Posts
I think he's talking about Electronic Brake Assist, which all RAV4's have had since 2006 at least. When you brake quickly, the computer considers it emergency braking and applies full braking force to the wheels. In any event, the fault lies with the guy who rear-ended her because he was following too close or not paying attention.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think he's talking about Electronic Brake Assist, which all RAV4's have had since 2006 at least. When you brake quickly, the computer considers it emergency braking and applies full braking force to the wheels. In any event, the fault lies with the guy who rear-ended her because he was following too close or not paying attention.
Yeah this is what I was referring to.

It happened on one of the very notorious intersections in Mass, so you could lay some blame on the idiots who built the road. It's a rotary over a goddamn highway with a hotel in the middle (over 90 in Newton).

It literally makes no sense and has multiple blind curves and insane lane change requirements.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Yes, I hate tailgating for this very reason. When you look in the rear view mirror, and the car behind is so close, you can't see their headlights, that is too close. I have found success with putting on my left turn blinker, when people tailgate.
As far as your vehicle is concerned, even if you can get it repaired, when you decide to sell it or trade it in, you will suffer an unfair penalty, by having your vehicle classified as having been in an accident, which reduces its value.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I hate tailgating for this very reason. When you look in the rear view mirror, and the car behind is so close, you can't see their headlights, that is too close. I have found success with putting on my left turn blinker, when people tailgate.
As far as your vehicle is concerned, even if you can get it repaired, when you decide to sell it or trade it in, you will suffer an unfair penalty, by having your vehicle classified as having been in an accident, which reduces its value.
Apparently, you can recover some of this by going after a 'diminished value' from the other person's insurance.

I'm not entirely sure we'll do that. I've also had weird luck with cars having insurance claims and repairs that don't show up on their record.

In this case, there isn't any frame damage, so the car will be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts