Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AHH!! Last day of school of an early week, all happy to get home, go to work for a couple hours, then hang out with my friends for the next 3 nights. Well...here goes my story.

I was pulling out of the school on a small 2 lane road, my friend Chelsea was behind me in a f150, theres a small opening for other cars to pull out before we turn, and the lexus went ahead of her. It was a mom of a student picking him up from school. Well me and my friend Omar were behind a black mustang (with part of back bumper hit off). He starts slowing down then slams on his brakes, and I do the same, just thinking nothing of it (basically happens every day, I hate that road).

Apparently the lady wasn't looking and hit me doing 30-40 (speed limit is 35) Chelsea says. I held onto the brakes unconsciously luckily or my front end would have been gone. I put it into park but realized there were a lot of cars coming so I went back into drive and pulled off into the grass. I got out of the car kinda pissed (after swearing some) and kinda slammed my door shut, which she probably saw and thought I was mad.

I went up to her car and kinda just stood there, she got out almost crying. I didn't want to be a jerk and told her that it wasn't completely her fault and it was ok because everything that was damaged could be replaced. She said the cop was a jerk that was directing traffic so we pulled off to the nearest neighborhood about 50 yards away and I guess he called for someone, and a motorcycle cop came up and we went through the whole thing. She said she was very impressed how someone my age acted during this. I was lucky my friend Mitchell saw it and pulled around and stayed with me the whole time, we talked while the cop was doing his business and we looked our cars over. I wanted to get a look under her hood to check the radiator, in case the hood hit it. She said she lives on the road on the way to my work (its all in a couple-mile area) and might come up to my work tonight.

It seems the spare tire absorbed most of it. There were scratches on her bumper, and her hood was bent up, but that seemed like the only bad thing for her car. Luckily my muffler was ok, even though there were marks on her bumper from them. The pipe from the cat to the muffler and the muffler supports were bent. I think it affected me the most in my head, I was shaking like crazy, but I was just like "damnit.." most of the time. I'm just glad she wasn't a bitch, and my taillights were ok. 1st picture is the rav. 2nd is the muffler pipe bent, and the 3rd is the lexus.

·
Registered
26 Posts
And how are you?

Sounds like you've got a good control of your wits in a situation such as that. Be proud.

Hope the rest of the weekend is better.

The used Rav I just bought was rearended at 7000 miles and repaired. 114,000 miles later it's in great shape & fit in the back - good build, good repairs or both.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was pretty shaken. Me and my friend were just like "sh**". Yea I"m pretty pround how I responded. I'm just happy we didn't argue and she wasn't a b****. The cop was nice, too. My mom ended up coming up to see the damage. My 2 friends were there so I had some company and I think that was a major thing. Having someone there really made it easier. I'll show the repair pictures, and tell you guys what happens if she comes up to my work tonight and hopefully I can take it up to the repair place this weekned.

If she was going 30 and I was at a dead stop I'm pretty surprised how it happened. The only thing she hit really was the spare tire, which pushed the door in from that point, she did scrach a little of the RHside bumper piece, but could probalby just be painted back.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is ok....

I noticed your rear taillights are completely clear.. you may want to paint part of it red, because that could get you in problems... I don't know what your state laws are in regards to that.... I know alot of the newer cars like lexus have clear tails, but I believe the housing has some metallic reflector that enhances the brake lights...

Anyways, I hope the repairs to your RAV go well... Make sure they check the frame is still straight....

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
:wall Well, just tell the insurance company you want a new rear door. Check for any chassis, suspension or any other damage. If your RAV4 was in gear, check the transmission for slip age. under the side doors. A rear collision can do more damage then we think. Some problems don't come up until it is too late. Remember that the estimate must have a detailed description of all damage and cost. Take it to a Toyota Dealer to have an estimate and if they can do the installation and paint job. This is the best place for a quality job.

I'm pissed :twisted:

·
Registered
542 Posts
yap, it's always a bummer to get rear-ended!! last time i got rear-ended by a hyundai the guy had the cheek to say "look what you did to my car"!!!!! what a knucklehead.. i said "ha, you hit me"!

turns out this guy works for one of our subcontractors and his car is under a company loan..

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
peterpogi2005 said:
yap, it's always a bummer to get rear-ended!! last time i got rear-ended by a hyundai the guy had the cheek to say "look what you did to my car"!!!!! what a knucklehead.. i said "ha, you hit me"!

turns out this guy works for one of our subcontractors and his car is under a company loan..
I've would of told him "Yea, look what I did to your nose, lights out" :doh: That is one of the basic skills of driving. Keep distance and watchout for the other guy. :roll:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Glad to hear that you are okay and the RAV is repairable. Accidents do tend to happen, and it is a good situation when everyone is cool about it. 8) I am sure the lady driver was just as shocked as you about the accident and she appears to be an honest person about it.

I too received rear bumper damage 2 years ago right before X-mas. Yeah, great christmas present to receive. :lol: Anyways, it all worked out. The old lady that hit me just gave me her insurance info. and the company did an outstanding job in making sure that everything came out alright. :thumbs_up:

This year, during X-mas; my wifes Camry got hit from an hit and run old lady. My wife caught her license plate and reported it to the cops. The cops investigated and said there was nothing they could do about it because there were no witnesses and the old lady claimed she did not do it. :evil:

Pancake, I hope your situation works out favorably for you. Good luck. :D

S

·
0 Posts
Pancake, at least you are alright. I have had a few accidents (all in my former Maxima), and I can tell you, staying calm and acting mature like you did is the best way. Really, after it has happened, there isn't much you can do, just adapt to the new situation. Besides, a car can be fixed, or a new car can be bought. So congrats on being an intelligent human being.

Now then, Derek, I know how it goes wit those old people. My Brothers Durrango seems to be a magnet for them. He has haed two accidents so far, one while he wasn't even at the car. An old Lady basically tried to park her boat of a car into the spot that is painted blue around the handicap spots. Needless to say, she didn't fit. She drove away, but there were witnesses. I can't remember what the cops said, apparently it wasn't the first time she had done it though.

Second time was as he was driving down the road, some old guy (once again in a boat of a car) pulled into the road in front of him. Luckily for that guy my brother swerved and hit the engine bay instead of his driver's side door. His car (80's model with a steel frame), totaled. My brothers, minor damamge to the bull bar, and minor damamge to the front bumper and hood where the bull bar bounced into it. :twisted:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DJ: The taillights dont matter, I've had numerous cops drive behind me, as long as the lights are red, they dont care. I also had white lights as my turn signal (or in that case, emergency lights) and nothing was said.

Mensa: I'm not sure how I'm getting it checked out, apparently my dad talked to our insurance company already.

I just cracked my neck at work, felt good. when it happened, my whole body moved, not just my head :)

Peter: Yea some people aren't that bright, and unless you were going in reverse, you didn't hit him :wink:

Derek: Thanks, everybody at work was asking me if I was ok, and I told them "no, my car is hurt :cry: " the moment I got hit I was thinking about my muffler and the taillights :roll:

SZR: I didn't really know what was going on, I wasn't really thinking. First I wanted her not to freak out and cry, I would have felt bad then. I guess I just accepted it right away, I just remember right after I got hit just kinda looking forward thinking "shi**" and my friend said the same thing. After that though me and the woman just talked.

My mom read the papers and saw the womans last name, she might be a teacher from my old school, I'm not sure if she was one of mine though.

Also my check engine light went on, I took it to Advanced Auto for a free diagnostic check and it said it was the O2 sensor before the cat. I guess the blow, even though the pipe bending cushioned it a bit, knocked it loose. Thats the 02 sensor on the header that had to be welded differently. I'm pretty sure Tuffy will do it for little or nothing, they're cool.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Having been rear-ended twice in my previous car (but not yet in the Rav, fingers crossed) I must say that the spare tyre is a real problem when it comes to this. First, it sticks out which means that drivers behind you may misjudge the distance. Second, just look at all the pics. You are rear-ended and the door goes. This is a bummer. Without the spare tyre the bumper would take it (and only with a heavy collision would the door be damaged).

I am sure they will fix it 'good as new' though. Whenever I have been rear-ended the car came back from the repair shop better than it had gone in. I think my Rav was rear-ended before I bought it - the VIN etching on the rear window is different from the car, the bumper is immaculate and the rear door nice, shiny and scratch-free. My muffler is also rust free (evidently not as old as the car).

That Lexus will cost someone though! Ouch.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On the papers the cop gave me it said the lexus was a rental.

I might also have little door dings and dents and a pretty large dent on the roof fixed at the same time. If thats the case then it will definately come back better than new.

I think without the spare tire, my frame would have been messed up, and every piece thats in the back.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm glad to hear that your not hurt.

My RAV4 has been rear-ended twice. The most recent rear-ending accident happened little over a year ago. That one was a little worse than the first time.

Each time, I had it repair at a AAA approved body shop, and only asked for "NEW" Toyota OEM parts. Both times, the same body shop did an excellent job in the repair. Both repairs was a little over $2000 to replace the entire back door and trim (including spare tire cover and lower cladding).

Repairs took about a week. If your RAV4 sustained more damage beyond the back door, the repairs will take longer. From the looks of the photos you provided, your damage looked similar to mine.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Wow! That's a fairly expensive repair!

The damage to you RAV4 was more extensive than what your pictures show. Let's hope the bodyshop where your RAV4 is being repaired returns it back to it's original factory condition!!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, I'm just glad I dont have to pay for anything. It sucks that it even happened to begin with. Today after school there was a 3 car crash. It rained for the first time in a while, and a big ram type pickup hit a mustang (completely took out rear) who hit the saturn in front of it, also taking out rear and really messing up the mustang. From the looks everybody was ok, but it sucks, there are a lot of bad drivers out there :(

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not paying for repair is always nice. However, dealing with the whole situation is just a hassle. You're life is interrupted for a few weeks or so.

All drivers are not created equal, that's for sure! You can be the most defensive and safest driver out there, but there a lot more drivers out there who aren't as "responsible" as the rest of us. Those are the ones you need to keep your eye out for. Basically, once you have spotted such a driver, keep a safe distance....

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today I was speeding (58ish on 45) trying to get to work fast and this guy in a matrix comes up behind me, gets on my ass then switches lanes quick and floors it, and I do the same (minus changing langes :)) That really made me mad when I was already doing 10+ mph over and that wasn't good enough for him, we got in a school zone and he was forced to get behind me. It's people like that... :evil:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts