Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RAV4 2012 V6 was just in for an oil change at dealer (under extended warranty, so I let them do it) and I was told the front and rear diff. fluids needed to be replaced, quoted $187. I called another Toyota dealer for price comparison, they told me the front/rear/transfer case each were about $65, so the price seemed reasonable for all 3. I called back the original dealer and was told the quote was only for the front and rear diff, that the transfer case was part of the transmission and fluid change on that was totally separate. I admit confusion about the transfer case on this vehicle....can anyone help out here?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm not up to speed with all the mechanical terms they use these days, but you have a front and rear differential gear box. The transmission is separate. What they call a transfer case is a question for them.
That's a good price if you can't do it yourself. Ask the dealer specifically to explain to you what they are referring to.

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
Gee, our 2006 V6 with 140,079 miles hasn't had ANY of those fluids changed and is running just fine. Maybe I should start thinking about them but I do understand "all the mechanical terms they use these days" and realize that unlike engine oil there is nothing continuously contaminating them and they'd probably come out looking new. And my dealer understands that I understand so they don't try to scare me into unnecessary work.

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
Oops, I just remembered while answering another thread I did replace the rear differential oil. With it out and sitting on the floor it just made me change its fluid. As mentioned it came out looking virtually new.

Makes me wonder with all the unnecessary upsell service dealers and shops push these days how much superfluous liquid and solid waste is generated, much of it in good condition. But I guess that helps the waste management companies too.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
My RAV4 2012 V6 was just in for an oil change at dealer (under extended warranty, so I let them do it) and I was told the front and rear diff. fluids needed to be replaced, quoted $187. I called another Toyota dealer for price comparison, they told me the front/rear/transfer case each were about $65, so the price seemed reasonable for all 3. I called back the original dealer and was told the quote was only for the front and rear diff, that the transfer case was part of the transmission and fluid change on that was totally separate. I admit confusion about the transfer case on this vehicle....can anyone help out here?
If you have FWD you have a front differential which is part of the transmission. Both are in one housing so the fluid is just transmission oil.

If you have 4WD you have a transfer case and a rear differential. The transfer case is in the front (next to the engine) and the rear differential is at the rear. Both use the same gear oil. Using synthetic gear oil will give you longer service intervals and better temperature range.

Just for your fyi to do both the transfer case and rear differential it takes 1 quart. (require a 1/2 quart for each)

These are easy if the shop have a lift so no need to take it to the Toyota dealer which charge higher rates. Draining and refilling gear oil is not complicated so most mechanic can do this. Lastly these can never be over filled otherwise the seal will leak.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
... I called back the original dealer and was told the quote was only for the front and rear diff, that the transfer case was part of the transmission and fluid change on that was totally separate...
What DL175 said--There are 3 different services for the AWD RAV:

**The front diff is in the same housing as the transmission, and bathed in the same ATF fluid. So when they say they are doing a "front diff service" in reality they would be changing the transmission fluid.

**The transfer case is separate housing, nearby to the tranny, uses gear oil.

**The rear diff is at the rear of the drive train, uses gear oil

·
Registered
3,122 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone here had to replace the breather/vent valve on the transfer case or rear differential yet? My front axle shaft seal is leaking on a 2013 RAV4 with than 50k miles.

If its not the breather valve being stuck/defective, then is it due to fluid overfill? Dealer replaced the Torque Converter and had to top off ATF/transfer case fluids,
but have no idea why front axle shaft seal would be leaking other than "bad luck." It didn't leak before Torque Converter replacement and car is out of warranty now.

What a bunch of useless professionals being paid for diagnostics and can't give possible root causes why it would be leaking. This is why I don't let dealers
work on my car unless it is a recall.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Anyone here had to replace the breather/vent valve on the transfer case or rear differential yet? My front axle shaft seal is leaking on a 2013 RAV4 with than 50k miles.

If its not the breather valve being stuck/defective, then is it due to fluid overfill? Dealer replaced the Torque Converter and had to top off ATF/transfer case fluids,
but have no idea why front axle shaft seal would be leaking other than "bad luck." It didn't leak before Torque Converter replacement and car is out of warranty now.

What a bunch of useless professionals being paid for diagnostics and can't give possible root causes why it would be leaking. This is why I don't let dealers
work on my car unless it is a recall.

Thanks.
Well the only thing I can think of is that the dealer may have over filled the transfer case oil. I highly doubt the breather vent valve will be stuck due to the bottom engine shield protecting it from the road debris. You can take it back to them to see what they say. Just be there when they take the fill cap off to see if there is a lot of fluid coming out. They may not admit fault so you would be screwed in which they will say you need a new transfer case at some ridiculous amount of money.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I checked the tranfer case shaft seal today and it doesn't look like it is seated evenly around the transfer case output shaft (passenger side). Looks like they (dealer or factory) pushed the seal in too far? Does that look normal to you? I looked at pictures from Google Images and almost all the seals evenly cover the round opening.

Could not check the breather value since the exhaust was blocking access to the top of the transfer case housing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts