Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some may think this is unnecessary or stupid, but I like lights on my car, but not something too tacky or overly done lights. I don't have any use for LED offroad pods or anything since I drive a SE FWD, I live in LA, and the weather is great here, and I don't offroad. But I've had a couple of European cars that came with a factory rear fog lamp/European parking lamp that lit up, and I really liked it. For some reason, there are plenty of these after-market lights for Gen 4.5s and other vehicles, but not many for Gen 4.4, and I found these "universal ones" and wanted some opinions about it.

What I'm interested in Amazon Link
What some may have, if they have the towing hitch, but I don't since I drive an SE model Amazon Link
For Gen 4.5, which I like since it matches with the factory LED tails Amazon Link
What I also found on eBay but overpriced and not a fan of the design eBay Link

Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
If you know where to look, you can find them from Toyota. Only thing is you have to wire them to 12 volts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For the factory ones, what happens to the backup/reverse light then?
The Toyota part number linked and listed is actually just the bulb/socket combo, it is not a new housing or lens. I have not had that lens housing out of the bumper, but it is likely that the North American market housings would need the hole cut out for the fog light socket to mount into and then, as Mikey D. pointed out, a wiring solution would be needed. The reverse light should not be affected, as it would be maintained in the other half of the housing.

I just took a closer look at the housing on my 4.4 and it is difficult to tell if the red section in that light is clear red or just a solid reflector. There is a possibility that on NA market cars the red part is opaque and would not be able to transmit any light from behind it to begin with. Maybe someone who has had this housing out can verify?

·
Registered
2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid XLE
289 Posts
Well... it's definitely not a factory OEM look, but I've been pretty happy with my super cheap strip lights off Amazon... And they do seem to be readily visible to drivers especially being higher up on the vehicle. They worked out pretty well in inclement weather and fog this winter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
shouldn't there be a factory wire parts for these, since this housing is factory???
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I believe it's Part # 82182-42060. Perhaps some member here who lives in Europe can confirm since this is a European option. I can't find it on Toyota USA website.

·
Registered
2013 RAV4 XLE Plus
172 Posts
I'm not from the EU Union (although I would love to since they get all the cool cars) but here are the part numbers that I have researched, waiting to get a nice rear hatch and bumper to buy these to do the conversion, I'm not sure what the connector would be but I may have someone who could figure that out once I have the LED lamp.

- 81456-42060 RH Rear Fog Lens
- 81456-60031 LH Rear Fog Lens
- 81455-42060 Rear Fog Lamp

Cheers

·
Registered
2013 RAV4 XLE Plus
172 Posts
I wasn't planning on getting the entire harness for this project, I was just going to get the connector housing with terminals and crimp to my own wire. Run a wire from the rear fog relay spot that is located in the engine bay and figure out how to energize the relay. I believe I saw a designated spot for the fuse as well located underneath the dash.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
If you look at the rear reflectors on the NA model RAV's you'll notice the round area where a bulb and socket should go. I would drill that out and formulate an LED setup to put in the opening and operate as a rear fog light. You'll still have to get 12 volts to that spot to make the LEDs operate though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts