Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Rear Licence Plate / Frame - RUST

9K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  WTTNWA 
#1 ·
Washed and waxed my 2015 XLE this weekend. I removed the rear licence plate and the plastic dealer frame as I wanted clean and wax behind. To my surprise the plastic frame has been rubbing on the paint and now I have 3 rust spots and the paint is bubbling. It is in a line right where the frame sits. There were no foam / rubber pads to protect from direct surface contact. Obviously I am more then choked as this will need to be ground out and painted at the dealers expense. Lucky for them that they are closed on Sunday. They installed the plates and their plastic dealer frame on the vehicle when I purchased the new vehicle. I cleaned up the area and applied a coat of wax. I took a couple pictures and I suggest everyone check their plates to ensure that this has not happened to you.. So why doesnt Toyota stick some foam or rubber pads where the license plate comes into contact with the paint?...I have to wonder if this is a PDI issue or has someone dropped the ball???

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Kayak
#4 ·
I purchased it brand new from a Toyota dealership in the interior of BC and no protective pads were applied by the dealer or from the factory. The plastic frame has been rubbing against the paint, trapping the road salt and debris for one short mild winter of driving. I added another picture of the damage.

Attachments

#6 ·
I purchased my white 2016 RAV4 SE two weeks ago. I inspected the vehicle before I sign any papers to make sure it's low mileage and everything is good. During the inspection, I noticed there was already two small strip of black foam where the license plate would go. I also noticed all the other new RAV4 on the lot also have these two strips of foam tape.

When I got home, I took the plate out and added four more strips of closed cell foam tape under the plate. I wanted to take preventative measure and not have to deal with rust and paint rubbing off in case there was contact.

The are also two yellow strips of tape where the holes are. These were just masking tape. These masking tape are really thin and not very strong and kinda flimsy. I put more close cell foam tapes around the hole in case they get rub off by the screws and or license plate.

See attached picture.

Attachments

#8 ·
Hmm. Wondering if the foam pads are a regional thing - as they are present on mine. Just picked up my 2016 RAV4 XLE last month - but haven't gotten around to taking the dealership plates frames off. Still waiting for my wife to pick out ones she wants. I not a fan of providing free advertising for dealerships either, already peeled off the dealership vinyl banner from the tailgate. Once I pickup the mudflaps and cross bars from my dealership this weekend (thrown in as part of the deal, they had to order them), the plate frames are coming off.

#9 ·
Yep - I replaced the dealer licence plate frames with ones which I had bought. Don't like providing free advertising for the dealer, either. I did have to supply and install foam backing for the frames on my RAV myself and also for our plate frames on my wife's CR-V.

#10 ·
I had the same issue with my 2013 XLE. I spoke to my dealership about the problem. Service manager covered the rust repair and paint no questions asked. They also installed a new frame with large bumpers underneath. Did a very nice job.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I definitely do not have any of the yellow tape. The dealership installed the licence plates and frame on the vehicle before I took delivery. I just assumed - huge mistake - that they would have ensured some foam / rubber backing existed on a brand new vehicle. I plan to go into the dealership on Friday see what their response will be.

#13 ·
I had the same problem with my 2013 RAV4. Rust chips around plate. It really should be part of pre-delivery SOP to use foam pad under the plate/plate cover.
I addressed it during warranty period and they repainted tailgate last year. Still pisses me off, but at least it's done.

#14 ·
The raised area at the top screws holds the top of the license plate away from the paint and the rubber tape holds the bottom of the license plate away from the paint. So if you have just a license plate with no frame, then you really don't have a problem. This post made me start thinking, so I pulled off the frame that I had purchased and it was rubbing on the paint. So I have removed it until I can find some foam tape that will hold the frame away from the paint.

I always remove the dealers name off of my vehicles. That would be like buying a house and have the contractor put his name on the front of your house. If the dealer wants to advertise on MY car, then they can pay me to advertise for them.

#15 ·
I always remove the dealers name off of my vehicles. That would be like buying a house and have the contractor put his name on the front of your house. If the dealer wants to advertise on MY car, then they can pay me to advertise for them.

My exact sentiments!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#16 ·
I went to the dealership on Friday and explained the situation. The service manager was out so I spoke with the sales manager. He photographed the rust and said that he would pass the information onto the service manager. The sales manager admitted that he didn't know enough about the PDI or the tape / foam issue. Late on Saturday, I received a call from the service manager who agreed to repaint the tailgate at their expense and they would provide me with a courtesy car. I am glad that I didn't have to argue with them but at the same time I am not impressed that my new RAV needs a paint job. Not only did they miss the tape and foam during the PDI but they also missed it when they installed the plates and frame holder. I shake my head and wonder what else did they not complete or overlook during the PDI. I know that people make mistakes but I think the whole PDI thing is simply a cash grab by the dealership....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.