Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum - bought a '16 Rav4 Hybrid XLE a few months ago. Noticed some stuff around the hinges of the rear lift back (pictures attached). Wondering if anyone else has the same issue and what it might be?

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
New to this forum - bought a '16 Rav4 Hybrid XLE a few months ago. Noticed some stuff around the hinges of the rear lift back (pictures attached). Wondering if anyone else has the same issue and what it might be?
Looks like white grease to me. More than likely to lube the hinges and prevent rust.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Did the hinges look like that when you made the purchase? If it's not something you did, take the car back, inspect other hinges on other Ravs at the dealership, then demand an appropriate fix.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Mine has a similar substance, only grey. That area is exposed to the elements, so I assume its a coating to protect against corrosion or a sealant applied before assembly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments. I did go to the local dealer and a few new cars had the same thing. They couldn't explain why or what it was. I was surprised to find it applied in a very haphazard manner. Not sure whether to leave it as is or get it cleaned up.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I guess "ignoring it" is not a good option? :wink

I checked and it wiped right off with some mineral spirits. Be interesting to see if it comes back after a rain. Probably another of those things that dealers are supposed to clean up and never do.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've had similar stuff around the hinges on my other liftback - the Matrix. Like mentioned above - it is a corrosion inhibitor - they spray it around the mounting holes prior to securing that hinge. Just another layer of protection to keep possibly rust stains from weeping out of those holes. Some dealerships will "wipe" that away during prep process - some do not. My RAV4 still had leftover pieces of the shipping plastic on and in the car when we bought it. Same with the rust preventative that they spray under the hood and chassis that drips a brown viscous fluid when the weather gets hot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts