Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the safety of my kids and others. My wife has been asking me about it again. Thinking to put a fresnel lense but the tailgate window is just too much. A fresnel would be distracting.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Have you thought of using a rear view camera? And/or sensors in the rear bumper?

Both of these would work, but I would suggest before backing out, just walk to the rear of the vehicle and check that there are not any kids or animals around.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I installed a wide angle lense ($13) on the tailgate window. It's not a perfect solution but it is better than nothing. The spare tire is blocking the best location for the lense. So, instead of sticking the lense at the bottom, I opted to stick it on the top center of the window. It also presented another challenge. It blocked the view of a vehicle at certain distance. I ended cut the lense into half and the blind spot is minimized and now it is obstructing the view of an object that's so far away. Quite satisfy with the outcome. I could view any objects 5fts away from the rear of my Rav4 now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also installed a fresnel lens, ~ 6" x 8" in size. Granted that my primary purpose was improved right side blind spot reduction (and know when I was minimally infront of car being passed on right to pull over without hitting them ;-)

I found the best place to minimize view impact is in the upper corner. I'll try to post pics in album after site stabilizes on new s/w.

More importantly, Costco in Beltsville, MD had an interesting alternative, a wireless backup camera that mounts on the licence plate for 79$ (in store) last week (online 99$ including S&H at http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11255610 "VR3 2 Button Wireless* Backup Camera Complete With All Accessories" Item # 261746)

Model VRBCS300W
Complete with all accessories. Nothing else to buy.
Wide Angle Viewing
Transmits up to 19’
Monitor Mounts on Dash or Visor
For Use with 12 Volt DC Electrical Systems
Great for Cars, SUVs, and Delivery Vehicles!
* Camera and monitor require 12 Volt DC connections

13JUN08 - Added Pictures to my ALBUM to show how hidden cars come into view with fresnel lense mounted top passenger side of rear window http://rav4world.com/forums/album_personal.php?user_id=8838

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think that's the same camera I have seen in some of the local stores here, and if I remember correctly, it had some bad reviews. If anyone has this, or wants to try this, please post your opinion here. I would buy it in a heartbeat if it works well for that price.

·
Registered
125 Posts
fyrftd said:
I also installed a fresnel lens, ~ 6" x 8" in size. Granted that my primary purpose was improved right side blind spot reduction (and know when I was minimally infront of car being passed on right to pull over without hitting them ;-)

I found the best place to minimize view impact is in the upper corner. I'll try to post pics in album after site stabilizes on new s/w.

More importantly, Costco in Beltsville, MD had an interesting alternative, a wireless backup camera that mounts on the licence plate for 79$ (in store) last week (online 99$ including S&H at http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11255610 "VR3 2 Button Wireless* Backup Camera Complete With All Accessories" Item # 261746)

Model VRBCS300W
Complete with all accessories. Nothing else to buy.
Wide Angle Viewing
Transmits up to 19’
Monitor Mounts on Dash or Visor
For Use with 12 Volt DC Electrical Systems
Great for Cars, SUVs, and Delivery Vehicles!
* Camera and monitor require 12 Volt DC connections
I have one of this camera intalled on my Camry. The signal from the wireless camera is terrible. Never get a steady image for few seconds. I would install a wired camera. If you have a Tow Hitch, the Hitch Cover is a good place to install the camera. I have one instlled on my RAV4.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts