Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a heck of a time trying to remove the rear O2 on my 05 RAV. I've already let it soak in PB blaster multiple times and it still won't budge. I know that once it cracks loose it'll come right out; but WTF?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Try to work the O2 sensor free by tightening and loosening it back and forth. Repeat and keep adding PB blaster each time. When it is badly rusted the corrosion is preventing movement.

If that doesn't work you may need to use a special O2 socket with a breaker bar.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips. I ended up taking it to an exhaust shop where they used a torch. Took all of 30 seconds to remove. Now if I could only find a new CAT on the cheap that was NY compliant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Would you be willing to buy a universal cat. Maybe the exhuast shop will weld it on for you for not that much if you buy it before going there.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im interested in knowing the difference between Federal and CARB variants of catalytic converters; Higher cell count? Do all 2004-2005 Rav 4's have a second converter downstream of the rear O2? I'm not all that worried about the CEL light for catalyst inefficiency but the fact that it trips a VSC code bothers me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up using a spark plug non fouler. Problem solved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts