Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought home my new 2017 XLE and noticed that the Rear passenger air vent which is centrally located on the upper Front Dash only seems to function on the left side. The right side of this vent appears to be stationary. Is this by design, or is this a factory defect? Thanks for any help or advice.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have 2017 XLE and both vents operate equally... up, down, right, left and have shut offs. Can you define stationary?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sorry, misunderstood you, you are talking about that wide and narrow vent on the top. Same thing here, only left side is operational and it is static with 1 shut off

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The bit that functions is actually more or less middle of the dash. I suspect this arrangement is for fitment in both LH and RH drive models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just brought home my new 2017 XLE and noticed that the Rear passenger air vent which is centrally located on the upper Front Dash only seems to function on the left side. The right side of this vent appears to be stationary. Is this by design, or is this a factory defect? Thanks for any help or advice.
Yes. That appears to be the way it was designed. We just picked up a new XLE last week as well and we noticed that when we were test driving. We checked a few others on the lot and they all did the same thing. The Rav4 is our family hauler now after getting rid of an almost 10 year old Durango with 3 rows. The Durango had AC vents in the back which was great for the kids. Making sure the backseat had adequate airflow was a big factor in our compact SUV search.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rear passenger Air Vent

Thanks to everyone who provided information in response to my inquiry.

Much appreciated

Happy Rav4 Owner

·
Registered
232 Posts
True, but those are only active with the front floor vents, so no use for A/C unless you manually put it in bi-level mode.
How does that work?
Do 2013s also have them?
TIA.

Sent From the TARDIS at the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
How does that work?
Do 2013s also have them?
TIA.
All RAV4's have heater ducts under the front seats to warm the feet of your back seat passengers. Yes, you can direct cool A/C air back there, but it won't have much effect in hot weather.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
All RAV4's have heater ducts under the front seats to warm the feet of your back seat passengers. Yes, you can direct cool A/C air back there, but it won't have much effect in hot weather.
JuneBug is right, of course. In the Summer it helps to direct AC to the dash vents directed up to glide across the top and some falls into the back seats. It works for me.

If I wanted perfect I would buy a Rolls Royce, and I could, but I won't.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Currently comparing CRV to RAV4. And, stupidly was comparing the under seat vents to the console vents on CRV. Duh - the RAV4 vents are not going to pushing cool air in most cases, and then only on the floor.

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We are a family of 5 and I can say the airflow in the back is adequate. Going down from a 3 row SUV that had air vents in the roof was a concern for me as well. Our search lasted a few months and we considered the CRV, Escape, and Rogue to name a few. The CRV and Rogue had air vents in the center console in the rear. However, I didn't see it helping a whole lot because of the positioning. The center dash vent in the Rav4 seems to do pretty well and I haven't had our kids complaining too much yet. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts