Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a couple old threads on this, but didn't ever see anything conclusive on how to fix the issue. When I reach about 75 mph, the rear passenger seat shakes almost violently. I can see the headrest vibrating in my rear view mirror. I've checked all the accessible bolts to ensure they're tight. However, I can feel the whole car shake a little at that speed as well, but it's most visible and manifest in the back passenger seat. Perhaps based on how it's fastened compared to the other seats? I had the tires balanced, but it didn't help the issue. I owned a 2009 RAV4 before I purchased this 2012, and it didn't have this problem. I appreciate any help!

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Have you or a mechanic check the rear shocks if it is worn out?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I found a couple old threads on this, but didn't ever see anything conclusive on how to fix the issue. When I reach about 75 mph, the rear passenger seat shakes almost violently. I can see the headrest vibrating in my rear view mirror. I've checked all the accessible bolts to ensure they're tight. However, I can feel the whole car shake a little at that speed as well, but it's most visible and manifest in the back passenger seat. Perhaps based on how it's fastened compared to the other seats? I had the tires balanced, but it didn't help the issue. I owned a 2009 RAV4 before I purchased this 2012, and it didn't have this problem. I appreciate any help!
"Having the tires balanced" might leave a lot to be desired. Tires could be defective, rims bent or damaged. As mentioned in DL175's post, shocks as well as driveline issues could be present.
If nothing else, try having someone sit in that rear seat while you drive and see what happens to it. My say is it's not a seat problem.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Is this problem new, or has it been one for some time? If it is a long term problem, despite having had the tires balanced one or more could be out of round. Also, unless the tire balancing has been done dynamically (with the wheels being turned at speed) the balancing may not have been accurate. Otherwise, the other suggestions already posted could identify the cause.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
Have the wheels & tires checked for runout (not round). It could be tires, wheels, or both. If the wheel is out of round the tire must conform to it and will "bounce" at speed rather than roll. Same if a tire is out of round. From what you've described it's not the back seat, that's a symptom not the cause.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Having the tires balanced" might leave a lot to be desired. Tires could be defective, rims bent or damaged. As mentioned in DL175's post, shocks as well as driveline issues could be present.
If nothing else, try having someone sit in that rear seat while you drive and see what happens to it. My say is it's not a seat problem.
The rear passenger side wheel is a bit damaged (scraped much more than any of the other wheels) on the outer edge. I wonder if the previous owner hit something and threw the wheel out of round. I have owned it about 9 months. It only has about 45K miles.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
The rear passenger side wheel is a bit damaged (scraped much more than any of the other wheels) on the outer edge. I wonder if the previous owner hit something and threw the wheel out of round. I have owned it about 9 months. It only has about 45K miles.

Suggest swapping the most damaged wheel with the spare tire wheel (properly inflated) and see whether that resolves the problem.

Reactions: rdiddy

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
There you go! See post #5 again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts