Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just noticed it now when I was cleaning the snow off the wheel well that I dont have a liner on my rear right side of my rav. But on the left side it does have a liner. I hope im not confusing you guys with my terms. But if you look above the left rear tire, you will see a cover kinda like a cardboard but more durable. And compare it to the right side. Don't know if they just forgot to put mine on or its how it is.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
60 Posts
just noticed it now when I was cleaning the snow off the wheel well that I dont have a liner on my rear right side of my rav. But on the left side it does have a liner. I hope im not confusing you guys with my terms. But if you look above the left rear tire, you will see a cover kinda like a cardboard but more durable. And compare it to the right side. Don't know if they just forgot to put mine on or its how it is.
No, that's the way it is. When I first noticed that I drove to the dealership to check the ones in the showroom and they are the same.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Good to know. Thanks. But I wonder why they did not put a liner on the other side.

Same reason they didn't light up the lock/unlock or window buttons, why we didn't get LED running lights, why some models don't even have lock/unlock on passenger side.... MONEY!! Every manufacturer is doing it... if they can save $0.08 cents per vehicle, they will.

EDIT: I *suppose* it could be a "design implication". For instance, I noticed that the passenger side rear wheel well area can get ice/snow build up. once this falls off, it wedges between the bumper and muffler! This got me to thinking about the design a little (cause I was irked that I kept having to remove ice/snow from touching the muffler)... I wonder if the muffler/exhaust gets too hot and by leaving this open, it doesn't trap as much heat. That or maybe they would have had to make a liner of some kind of thermal material that costs too much money... or maybe they are just cheaping out!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
That is so weird. I only noticed this yesterday. I don't know how I could have missed it before as I'm usually observant about details like that. I regularly check the tire pressure. I could swear that I would notice something like that while crouched down in front of the wheel well. In fact, I was so convinced that something was amiss that I thought the tech had removed it for some reason related to replacing the wheel bearing on that particular wheel.

Glad to know that it was never there... I think...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed this too just a few days ago..and an on-line search for a replacement part lead me here..I was skeptical until I looked again in the wheel well and saw that there are no screw holes to attach a liner as there are on the driver's side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2020 trail. So that sort of carpet covered heavy cardboard is supposed to be the finish inside the wheel wells? Seems like it will get filthy and absorb water and dirt.
Just wanted to know if that's how it's supposed to be and there isn't something missing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just bought a 2020 trail. So that sort of carpet covered heavy cardboard is supposed to be the finish inside the wheel wells? Seems like it will get filthy and absorb water and dirt.
Just wanted to know if that's how it's supposed to be and there isn't something missing.
I have a 2018 RAV4 Limited AWD. Same as original person discussed. No interior liner in rear passenger wheel well. The left side/ driver rear has a liner material. It's there to protect gas tank filler tube or something. Without it the wheel well area does have a thick protective coating to prevent rust and such. Would of been nice as All RAV4's could use more Sound Proofing from road noise. Another thing, If the material or inner liner falls out it would be damage and useless. You could try to find an Arch Liner if concerned from some aftermarket prefabricated place. For DIY, get yourself a degreaser/ Cleaner and clean the wheel well with water and dry, then use an Undercoating Spray to thicken the wheel well. Make sure it is completely dry, no moisture and to apply Undercoat properly as don't want rust to occur. Mask tape the exterior to prevent any overspray getting onto the RAV4 body paint. Avoid getting any undercoat on your brakes/ caliper / rotor. Remember to do all this with the tire removed as makes spraying a lot easier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts