Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Can you help me identify the part number?...See the pic. It is in the rear of the roof liner where the seat belt sticks out. I assume there is a plate or cover that won't let it dangle like you see in my pic. It is very annoying to look back while I'm driving on the rear view mirror and see it dangling like that.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
You can push the buckle into the catch to prevent it from dangling. That is why there is that extra cavity.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
You can push the buckle into the catch to prevent it from dangling. That is why there is that extra cavaity
To the best of my knowledge that is correct: there is no cover plate for the ceiling-mounted seat belt.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
The cavity is spring-loaded to hold the end of the belt in place.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried pushing it into the cavity but it won't stick. I'll take a look at it again. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
Keep working at it. Mine has been up there for years and it is flush with the ceiling.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can someone explain to me what that seat belt is used for? It was belted in over my back seat and into a little clip that was poking out from between the seats (like that when I bought it) and I have no idea what it's for? Child car seat? Some kind of third row option? I only ask third row because it looks like there's cup holders in the back on both sides lol.

Really though, what's its intended purpose?

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's the shoulder belt for the middle seat in the back row.
What an odd way to set up a seat belt. That would be right under someones 5th point of contact (butt) if you had three people in the back seat... hm.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Yeah I've never actually given it a try but I imagine the tension pulls it to the side. This post may make me curious enough to find out heh.

There are indeed cupholders in the back for the optional 3rd row but that is unrelated to this belt.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
What an odd way to set up a seat belt. That would be right under someones 5th point of contact (butt) if you had three people in the back seat... hm.
You are correct. I've always thought it was a terrible design, and is caused by pretending what is CLEARLY a 4-passenger car seats 5.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
THe cross over is so that there is enough butt width since the back seat is so narrow. It works ok but a pain for the initial buckling.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Plus you have to buckle the middle person in before the person seated behind the driver can even get in the vehicle.

Dumb!

Lame!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Well I think the intention is to have that end always connected. Only details stowing it for when folding the seats.
Maybe? Given that the person seated behind the driver sits *on* the lap belt of the person in the middle, one would think it would be more difficult for the person in the middle to buckle up if someone is already sitting on a significant part of their lap belt, especially if they need to adjust the length of the belt.

It's a pretty terrible design, copied by at least the Hyundai Tucson (and probably many others). I believe if you look at the normal width of the outboard belt mount points, you'll notice there isn't nearly that much space left between them to seat someone in the middle, which is what would be needed to place the shoulder belt for the middle person entirely within the back seat itself.

I think the best design would be to not pretend to seat three in the 2nd row to begin with. But we gots to have our marketing gimmicks.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I think the best design would be to not pretend to seat three in the 2nd row to begin with. But we gots to have our marketing gimmicks.
Just like Toyota pretended that the RAV4 with 3rd row seats was capable of hauling 7 full-size people?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts