Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 RAV4 LE FWD. I take about 4 trips a year camping or to the beach. On average no longer then 250 miles. I carry 3 people, all my camping equipment, tents, cots, air mattresses, cooler filled with ice and food, etc.... I have a cargo box on top to store some of the stuff and a hitch bike rack with 3 bikes. So most of my heavy weight is from the cooler, 3 passengers and the bikes. My rear end sags especially when I put the bikes on. I figure the three bikes weight about 100lbs. The RAV4 always seems to drive fine I have no problems getting up or down hills, driving on the highway or through winding mountain roads. My first questions is should I have any real concern about carrying all this on my 3-4 trips a year? My second question is there anything I can do about the rear end of the RAV sagging down? It just bugs me.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
rear air bags, I have firestones on my 2012, keep them at 5psi for daily driving, and inflate them to 25psi when I pull my travel trailer, or have lots of weight in the back

·
Registered
248 Posts
I also have used air bags, in heavy loaded situations, with very successful results. Not on my Rav, but on a previous SUV. The nice thing about them is they are so quick to inflate and deflate, and there is no ride penalty at all when the vehicle is unloaded and not being augmented by them.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The max payload for a 2014 is 1,050lbs. Which you are easily exceeding with 3 passengers and gear and thus could have warranty ramifications if Toyota somehow found out. Modding with air bags would alleviate that sag problem.

Roof racks are also only rated to 132lbs too. So don't put too much up there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did do some quick numbers and made sure not to be conservative with them and with the 3 bikes + bike rack, 3 people, and cooler filled with ice I'm still slightly under 800lbs I figured. The only thing left is a tent, bag chairs, a bin with some food(chips cookies) and pans in it, sleeping bags, and air mattresses. Although I think I might be close to that 1000lbs limit I think I'm still probable under it. If I am over it can't be by much at all. I do make sure not load the cargo box too full. I can actually fit everything without it I just use it to make it a little easier to pack.

Thanks for the info though!

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts