Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While re-installing the rear seat of my 2007 RAV4 (rear driver side, the smaller of the 2 rear seats), I somewhat stripped the front, passenger-side bolt.
When I tried to unscrew it, the bolt came partly out and now it wiggles and I have no idea how to remove it.
I say "stripped", but something different happened, because I was still able to partly unscrew it until it started rotating with no resistance.

I could cut the bolt, but then I would not know what to do. It looks like there is some sort of nut on the back of it, but definitely not easily accessible. I look underneath the car and really could not see a way to access it.

Does anybody know how to access the nut (or whatever is holding the bolt in place)?

Is it something I should be worried about? I can still remove the seat by leaving the rails attached and unscrewing the seat from the rails. It's not as easy, but it doesn't bug me. I am just afraid of having 3 holding bolts instead of 4.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I can't see 3 bolts being a problem. After all, it's the seatbelt that holds a passenger in, not the seat.
However, I'm curious....your last paragraph gives me the impression that removing the seat is something you do regularly. Is that right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the seats once to pressure wash them. Since they weren't fully dry when I put them back on, few days later I started to smell mold and I decided to remove them again to lay them in the backyard to dry.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Can you use a crowbar or something to exert upward pressure on the bolt head while at the same time attempting to unscrew it? It may be that the bolt is anchored to the floor by a nut which could be welded to the floor panel and the weld has broken. If so, upward pressure on the bolt could press the nut up against the floor metal with enough resistance to allow you to unscrew the bolt. However, all four bolts ordinarily should be tight ordinarily to secure the seat while driving. In the event of a crash the seat belt should not be relied upon to hold both a passenger and seat in place.

Pressure washing a seat? Not something I would do - instead suggest using upholstery cleaner. I cover the seat with a removable cover so that it can be tossed into the washing machine when it needs to be cleaned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts