Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

As you know there is a small lever to allow each rear seat base to hinge forward and fold behind the front seats

There are two, one for each rear seat

One works the other does not - it does not seem to be attached to anything as it offers no resistance at all - so the seat is locked in the standard position

Is there a fix for this? I have tried moving the seat position

The grey material tab that one pulls to release the entire seat seems jammed as it does not open the hinges to allow the seat to be removed

Any ideas, solutions most welcome.

Many thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
solved

There was more movement possible to slide the seat back

then it did fold correctly so my apologies for an unnecessary post

I now wonder if there is a way to secure with an extra strap the seat in its folded position as I dont want it to fall on a dog seated behind on the floor - It seems unlikely but even so the seat is heavy and could cause damage

·
Registered
47 Posts
you could tie a rope on it and have it loop around one of the headrest pegs of the seat in front

or...remove the seat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

Thanks very much for your reply

Yes that is what I have done for the moment

I am planning to make a three sided box, with a floor, out of wood, so this will 1) protect the dog if I have to brake hard 2) Protect the dog if the locking mechanism of the seat unlatches and lets the seat fall. Not ideal, as it would be better if the seat actually folded further forward towards the front seats and was less likely to fall back. I don't want to remove the seat entirely but that may be the best solution even though I never know when I may need it!

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
OK: on our 2005 4.2 (same model) there are two latches on the front-bottom of the seat: the REAR one is for latching the seat to the floor and should fit in the REARMOST bar on the floor fitting. The FRONT one is for keeping the seat secure when it is tilted forward and latches to the FRONT bar on the floor fitting. We have tried to get the latching (rear) fitting into the tilt (forward) floor fitting and it doesn't work. SO: two things have to happen for that to latch: 1) the rear seat back needs to be folded flat against the sitting part. 2) the FRONT seat ahead of it needs to be moved ahead to allow the now tilted section of the rear seat to get past the back of the front seat; otherwise it won't tilt forward enough for that front fitting to latch. Then you can move your front seat back to your driving position. To release the rear seat to go back to a sitting position is the same fabric pull strap that allows you to tilt the seat forward or remove the seat. In the older models there is a bar you swing out from the bottom of the seat that latches to the wheel well bump to keep it upright. The newer method is much cleaner.:smile

1 - 5 of 5 Posts