Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my rear seats is stuck. One of the rear foot locks is somehow jammed into the floor hole and will not release when I lift the rear foot lock release. Dealer wants $475 to fix. Does anyone know how to disassemble rear seat foot locking mechanism. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Noticed there wasn't much response.....so.....
This is just a guess.......but have you tried unloading the latch by having someone heavy sit on the seat while you work the lock release.........maybe even have them bounce on it slightly while you keep a constant pressure on the release.......
It's possibily jammed with the carpet or something that has fallen in the recessed opening......
GOOD LUCK!!!!!....and post what you finally have to do, as any one of us could be next........

·
Registered
875 Posts
um....

..if it were me and i had already taken a look and couldn't figure out he mechanism, i'd probably just keep yanking and wobbling the chair at the same time with a buddy. It can't get any worse right? Next time you hop into the dealership, walk past the "DO NOT ENTER" sign and speak with one of the mechanics directly. Usually if you call them by their name (printed on their shirts) they'll be pretty nice to you and help you deal with it w/o cost.

If they wont' help you, move on to the next dealership around your area. Something like this shouldn't have a charge. Power seats however would be a different story.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just as a side note. When I was looking for my RAV I challenged every salesman I talked to, to remove the rear seats.

Let's just say it was quite a comedy act to first see them fail, then stumbling over words, then merely giving up.

:D :D :D

I haven't even tried to remove them yet after 35,000 miles. Guess I'm afraid of failure :lol:

·
Registered
471 Posts
dtro said:
just as a side note. When I was looking for my RAV I challenged every salesman I talked to, to remove the rear seats.

Let's just say it was quite a comedy act to first see them fail, then stumbling over words, then merely giving up.

:D :D :D

I haven't even tried to remove them yet after 35,000 miles. Guess I'm afraid of failure :lol:

hahaha lmao good 1 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seat Removal

This has to be the most difficult thing to do (notice there are like 3-4 stickers telling you how to do it), but once you get them out, keep them out. You free up 80 pounds of dead weight if you don't need them, plus 68 cubic feet of space. People are amazed at how much room is back there with the seats removed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've taken my seats out a number of times, for the added storage space. I have to keep putting them back in though because I frequently carry a few passengers.

I can't offer much more advice on getting them out than what's already been posted. I've never had any trouble getting mine out, I usually have problems getting them back in again (lining up the hooks correctly).

Aside from the dealer / mechanics, maybe try jiggling it as you're trying to unlatch it? Or whack it a couple times and see if that jarrs it loose?

-Stephanie

·
Registered
147 Posts
Stephanie said:
I've taken my seats out a number of times, for the added storage space. I have to keep putting them back in though because I frequently carry a few passengers.

I can't offer much more advice on getting them out than what's already been posted. I've never had any trouble getting mine out, I usually have problems getting them back in again (lining up the hooks correctly).

-Stephanie

Just a tip, when removing the rear seats ALWAYS make sure they are set back as far as they will go, this makes putting them back in very easy. (my dealer told me that when I bought it and I've never had any problems)

·
Registered
875 Posts
FIXED!!!!

Rear seat initially could not be removed. 3 Toyota techs couldn't remove it either. If finally did it and here is how:

PROBLEM:
When rear seat is slid to the most FORWARD position, the lever on the back of the seat becomes lose and does not catch onto the proper mechanism to get the seat out.

When the rear seat is slid to the most BACKWARD position, the lever on the back of the seat does not budge. Don't force it!

WHAT'S HAPPENING:
When the seat is too far forward, it doesn't catch. When it's too far back it doesn't catch. Find the middle ground where it will catch and release the seat.

HERE'S HOW:
1. Start with the rear seat in the forward most position and the backrest down in the folded position so you can access both levers comfortably.

2. USE ONE HAND to access the bar that controls the sliding forward and backward of the seat. USE YOUR OTHER HAND to access the rear tab thingy that is normally used to pivot the seat up.

3. While slowly sliding the seat backward, use your other hand to pull the tab up. You'll find that the tab comes up too easily. Keep pulling thes seat backward slloooooowly while continuing release and pull the tap up again. Repeat until it works; each time sliding the seat more and more backward milimeter by milimeter. If you find that the tab cannot pull up as easily, you have slid the seat too far backward. You're almost there! Slowly slide it forward again while pulling up the tab. If you're patient enough, you'll find yourself sighing of relief b/c you just saved yourself over $400 and a day without your lovely rav4.

4. Give yourself a pat on the back, brag to your friends about your accomplishment and go out for a drink (non-alocholic).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts