Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After gathering information from this forum I ordered 4 6,5" focal speakers and just tried to install the rear speakers. Replacing speakers on a Rav4 is a lot more laborious then I'm used to on other cars, but hey, no pain, no gain.

After trying to replace the front speakers and discovering that I also had to get some adaptors, I had no expectations the speakers would fit right away in the back. But I'm worried if the will fit at all.

The hole in metal is too small anyway and I wonder if an adapter will solve this.

Do the people who have installed 6,5" rear-speakers in a 4 door wagon used adaptors (which?, online they offer them but I'm not sure if they are for the 2 door or 4 door) and do you have a picture? (some threads have missing pictures)

The two speakers compared

Too big

·
Super Moderator
845 Posts
I found the pictures I mentioned in the pm, but I guess there is no point in posting them since the answer is simple enough.

It seems that the size of the "hole" for the rear speakers varies according to the version of the Rav.

I fitted 6.5" size speakers using this adapter
SAK-2901 Rear Car Speaker Adaptor for Toyota Rav 4 | eBay just to further support the mounting of the speaker.
The hole itself was big enough to accomodate these speakers even without the adapter:

Your Rav seem to suppport 4-3/4" size speaker for the rear.

In this (http://www.rav4world.com/forums/84-4-1-accessories/80497-speaker-help-2.html) thread, I discussed a similar issue regarding front speakers. I also had to buy adapters for the front ones because of the differences among different versions of the Rav.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thnx for the info...

I did see those adapters on ebay and will order a pair... but I guess some metal cutting will be in order.

I'll post the results here.

·
Super Moderator
845 Posts
I should note here that, if you install them the way I portray in the pictures above, the rear panels MAY not fit when you start the assembly process! :wall

I eventually had to place the adapters behind the metal hole and mount the speakers like this (glorious schematic ensues):

The first vertical line represents the speaker rim, the second one the metal vehicle "wall" and the third one the profile of the adapter.

I firstly secured the adapter using four bolts with washers (portrayed here by two black horizontal lines) placed through the predrilled holes of the metal "wall".
Then I used three self tapping screws provided with the speaker to penetrate through the metal "wall" and screw into the plastic of the adpater (represented by the three red lines).
I also used some kind of thick insulation tape where the "wall" made contact with the speaker on one side and the adapter on the other.

·
Super Moderator
845 Posts
In other words, you don't have to buy the adapters. You could always screw the speaker on the "wall" using self tapping screws. My method just added ridgidity and justified the purchase of the adapters ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
In other words, you don't have to buy the adapters. You could always screw the speaker on the "wall" using self tapping screws. My method just added ridgidity and justified the purchase of the adapters ... :rolleyes:
ah... too late... I already ordered them

but knowing this I went to work this afternoon an installed my speakers... those adapters will find their way on ebay.

here's what I've done

my speakers need a hole of 141mm in diameter.

the hole in my 96 model is 126 or someting mm.

after cleaning the surface with brake-cleaner I taped the edge of the hole

Before starting I made a template hole in card-box so I could easily draw the outline I had to remove.

using a jigsaw I cut out the cirkel.... which was not easy because of the bumps.
toptip: use earplugs and safety glasses... you really need to see where you're going and pieces of metal fly around... and it makes a hell of a noise.

Tadaaaa

after drilling holes for mounting the speaker I cleaned the surroundings thoroughly so I could place a dynamat speaker dampening mat.

great stuff...

the provided mounting material with the focal speakers was not so great. I couldn't thighten them without overturning them... luckily I had some more robust ones.

anyway... all looks, sounds and feels great.
both the rear have been mounted.... now waiting for the door-adapters so I can do my trick in the front.

and I also have tor run in the speakers.... funny :p

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Is jaloers. Wil ook Focal speakers. Herman Kardon is wel prima (in mijn beemer), Focal toch echt beter. Ach ja, weer iets voor de wensenlijst.

Nicely done and good documented. Only small typo (break should read brake ;) )
Greetz

Pim

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is jaloers. Wil ook Focal speakers. Herman Kardon is wel prima (in mijn beemer), Focal toch echt beter. Ach ja, weer iets voor de wensenlijst.

Nicely done and good documented. Only small typo (break should read brake ;) )
Greetz

Pim
I stand corrected ;)

feels good to finally finish some upgrades. I kept on bumping into new problems.

I also had some battery issues. after standing still for 45 minutes with the alarm lights on.... or another time when I was standing still for 10 minutes with the radio on, my rav wouldn't start. a ticking starter motor gave the impression it was a battery problem.
the dealer where I bought the car said it was normal this would happen after these "actions". for me that was baloney. but when I dropped by he could measure that the battery was not up-to-par. the fact it was a 40 instead of a 45 AH battery didn't matter according to the dealer. anyway, he replaced the battery (guarantee) with a new 45 AH one and today I could work an listen to the music for a few hours and starting was no problem. but the dealer still kept to his story that 30 minutes alarm-lights or radio, without a running engine, could drain the battery enough to have starting problems.

any opinions / experiences?
if I get problems again I go for an optima ;)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
45 AH means it can produce 2.25 amps for 20 hours.
Usually enough to have 3 hours of bombastic music and then start the engine.
And i honestly think 45 AH is a bit on the low side for the RAV4, 80 AH is more appropriate if you regularly have loads on or behind the RAV4.
Greetz

Pim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts