Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a rear spoiler with LED brake light, painted satin black to match the rest of the trim (ebay.com). I had to reshape it some because it didn't fit quite right on my 99 RAV4, and I didn't have a mounting bracket (if that's was supposed to be part of it) so I drilled through the back door to attach the spoiler with stainless steel screws. The wire for the brake light was run through the door with rubber grommets to protect the wires from chafing and wired to the existing third brake light.

Pictures to follow.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
eodgator, I have the Bomex rear wing spoiler somewhere in my garage. But it came with a corny installation kit. Looking at the kit and looking at the spoiler I don't know how the hell to install it, much less paint it. But painting it isn't a problem. How did you install it? This is the one I got.

This is the installation kit.

I mean, whats up with that? :surprise:nerd

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had this laying around about 6 months because it didn't fit well and I didn't have a mount for it, but screws and a sander to reshape it did just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I said earlier it had no mounting kit or instructions, it also had a large gap either at the top or off the rear window depending on how you oriented the spoiler so I modified it to make it fit properly. I mounted it to the rear with 2 stainless steel 3/4 inch #12 screws. Including painting to match the other plastic bits on my RAV4, it took about 3 hours to complete. Had it fit properly, probably about an hour and that's waiting for the paint to dry.

Sorry I didn't get the pics out, I need to move her so that she's not half in the shade, hard to get a good photo.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
edogator - Where are the pics?

Mensa - I thought there were instructions / pictures that came with the installation kit ? Aren't there holes in the spoiler where half of the brackets would mount, while the other half is attached to the rear door ?
It has been a while since I have seen what the spoiler and the kit looked like together... If you can't get it to mount, you can sell it back to me, and I will figure out how to install it on mine... :D

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No instructions at all, it did come with a couple of stick on pads, bolts and washers, there was a bolt on location that was under the spoiler, no way to really use it particularly since the reshaping (sanding) left that area pretty thin.

Sorry I didn't get to the pics yet, I have to move her out of where I'm working on her to get a good photo, difficult to do with the interior stripped.

Putting in sound deadening material, new head liner, ceiling speaker pods, leather seat covers, and an overhead console from a 2000 GMC Jimmy but those will be covered in new threads.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
edogator - Where are the pics?

Mensa - I thought there were instructions / pictures that came with the installation kit ? Aren't there holes in the spoiler where half of the brackets would mount, while the other half is attached to the rear door ?
It has been a while since I have seen what the spoiler and the kit looked like together... If you can't get it to mount, you can sell it back to me, and I will figure out how to install it on mine... :D
:D:D:D Not a chance DJ, not a chance. :D:D:D Nice seeing you in the forum again. But I have a feeling that you were in the background just watching. Going back to the RAV4, all the stuff you and the other members sold me many years ago. I still have them and they are worth more. I knew that sooner or later our RAV4 was going to be hard to get parts for. All are clean, painted, and is storage. :wink:nerd

PS BTW, PR I guess you and the world know this. But man, we were hit HARD by a Hurricane, it was horror at its best. I live in a block cement house, two floors, and I touched the wall when the winds were at 180 MPH (for eight hours straight) and I felt the wall move.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I would love to find an extended roof spoiler for my 2011. Toyota made one for their research-n-design electric. They claimed it was effective. Anyone seen one?

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here at long last a few photos.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can scan it into your computer, go online and use Babble to translate it. You won't get the best translation but you can usually figure it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts