Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to put in a set of Firestone air bag in my 2010 sport and the shoving in method and my hands didn't agree. I want to remove the springs and insert the air bags for better access. What do I have to disconnect to get them out. I am getting an alignment next week so not worried about that. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I lifted the wheel so the suspension would extend, and then I think I used a piece of wood and a metal flat bar jammed in between to separate even more a set of coils. On my old car I had removed one bolt from the suspension arm that was not adjustable to gain even more room. It's not easy but it's doable.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
We just got our RAV4 so I don't know if it's similar to my 3rd gen 4Runner but to get the rear coils out on the 4Runner I had to disconnect the lower shock bolt and also the rear sway bar end link to get good flex to pull the coils out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll give it a try. I typically like to watch it done on youtube first but there are no videos of a 4.3 doing it that I could find.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spring removal was pretty easy. Remove the bolt at the hub on the lower arm that the spring sits in and then the sway bar link. The airbags just twisted in through the bottom of the coil in 5 seconds. Putting it back together I took off the lower shock mount and it was easier to align the bolt for the arm back into place. I also used a second jack to lift the arm.
Routing the air lines... well my car is under oiled, I was a mess.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put in Firestone Coil-Rite Air Helper Springs from etrailer.com to level the car when I have a heavy load in the back and trailer. I bought a T fitting as well so I only have one fill spot in the trunk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts