Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silly question, but what way up should the rear springs be on a 1999 4.1? I've looked but can't find a picture.

The Left rear spring had come out of it's mounting at the bottom as if the spring had failed. The springs are not cracked though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't honestly see as it matters that much as a spring will compress by specific amount when a load is applied and won't make a difference whether the spring is upside down or horizontal.

The thing that will matter though, is how the spring ends meet up to the 'spring seat'. Usually the spring seat at one end of the spring is capable of being rotated to get the alignment correct (often at the top of the spring).

If you suspect the spring has been fitted upside down at some in the past, then it may never fit the seats correctly until you remove the spring and rotate it 180° (end for end).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bob, yes I suspect the spring came out of it's mounting as applied the wrong way up! Should the "close" section go up or face down?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Did the right rear on my 2004 RAV4 a few months ago and I think the tighter coil was on top. There is a 4.2 gen 2005 RAV4 rear coil replacement vid on youtube.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You, Both had the tighter coil on the top, yet nearside had definitely popped out (slightly) at the bottom.

Going to try switching the springs then replacing them.

I asked in-case both were inverted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts