Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guy! i just recently bought a Gen 5 Rav 4 :cool: Because i'm in the auto industry and some friends of my wants to start modding my Rav 4 lol and send me an idea on an add-on piece goes between the tail lights i wanna know what you guys think:unsure: kindly drop a line on how ya'll feel about this :D

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Moved to 4.5 Exterior
Looks similar to the LED strips added across the bottom of the bed on pickups. How does this one get connected?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello guy! i just recently bought a Gen 5 Rav 4 :cool: Because i'm in the auto industry and some friends of my wants to start modding my Rav 4 lol and send me an idea on an add-on piece goes between the tail lights i wanna know what you guys think:unsure: kindly drop a line on how ya'll feel about this :D
View attachment 150898
I love it! Please let us know if this makes it to market!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Interesting. I would like to see the active and how it integrates visually with the other lamps in the back.

You might also want to consider something for the OEM tails on the hatch door to include illuminating when the brake pedal is pressed. Would make a very nice addition.

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 Hybrid XLE + Cold Weather, Ruby Flare Pearl
91 Posts
Interesting. I would like to see the active and how it integrates visually with the other lamps in the back.

You might also want to consider something for the OEM tails on the hatch door to include illuminating when the brake pedal is pressed. Would make a very nice addition.
I have this harness and it makes a huge difference:

To meet US homologation requirements brake lights don’t count if they’re on a moveable hatch. The harness ties the tail lights on the tailgate to the CHMSL, and the tail lights on the rear quarters to the adjacent brake lights, while ensuring the brake lights and CHMSL don’t light up when the brake lights are on.

In the case of this bar that you’re looking at, I’d probably get the ACC/Air Runner harness and tap off of that for illumination.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have this harness and it makes a huge difference:

To meet US homologation requirements brake lights don’t count if they’re on a moveable hatch. The harness ties the tail lights on the tailgate to the CHMSL, and the tail lights on the rear quarters to the adjacent brake lights, while ensuring the brake lights and CHMSL don’t light up when the brake lights are on.

In the case of this bar that you’re looking at, I’d probably get the ACC/Air Runner harness and tap off of that for illumination.
In this rare case I am not worried about the legalities of the inner hatch lights counting as brake lights. I rewired my Sonatas trunk to include the inner trunk lamps and it looked even and parking lights and brake light operated as the outer assemblies did. It looked balanced. I looked at that harness but it only provided parking light illumination and it really appears that the inner hatch assemblies are single stage lighting. I guess what I am going more for is the Lincoln and Challenger rear panel look.

What is the ACC/Air Runner harness you are referencing? I did a basic Google Machine and seems to be dealing with suspension. But maybe I didn't understand it totally correctly.

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 Hybrid XLE + Cold Weather, Ruby Flare Pearl
91 Posts
Right, I forgot to mention that homologation defines which features can be on cars when the manufacturer sells them. You can do basically whatever you want to your own car as long as you meet the minimums.

I was referencing the harness in the video. There’s an email address in the video description ([email protected]); I just ordered by email. Air Runner mostly does air suspensions, and my guess is someone in the company (or one of their customers) has a Rav4 and got annoyed by the brake lights. The harness doesn’t seem to be listed on their website but as far as I can tell from a quick glance they don’t have a search function and their site contents aren’t indexed by google so I really can’t be sure.

In your case, wanting to illuminate the panel - which I think will look sick AF as long as the brightness is right - that harness already has the important wires pulled out, so tapping into them will be easier than getting into the loom and you’ll be able to choose whether you want illumination with brakes when lights are off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Moved to 4.5 Exterior
Looks similar to the LED strips added across the bottom of the bed on pickups. How does this one get connected?
My friends from the industry said it will need to run wires inside to align with either with the brake light power of just the parking power wire to turn on when the light turns on. Personally i would like it to be functional with the brake light function.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

What a great input, that would be a good idea, i will forward the suggestion over to my friend :cool::love::ROFLMAO:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts