Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was following our 05 RAV4S home the other day and noticed the back tires seem like they are pinched in at the top, like it was carrying a huge load. The vehicle has 8k miles on it. I took it to the dealer who promptly told me that they would check the alignment, but if it was fine, I would have to pay the $70 for an alignment. If it was off they would align it for free. Dealers.... Might as well have taken it to the local alignment place.

So I checked out the other Ravs on the lot, and sure enough, they all looked like mine. Optical illusion?!?

Has anybody else had this experience?

Thanks!

·
Registered
682 Posts
not an optical illusion. all ravs have negative camber from the factory. if i remember right its -0.5 degrees at the front and -2.0 degrees at the rear. gives better handling. most cars with irs have negative camber. just make sure you rotate your tyres regularly to even out the tyre wear.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Back to Zero degrees

gascooter, I too noticed the negative camber when I first brought my RAV home. In fact I would look at other RAV's on the road to see if they were the same.

Is it my imagination the AWD's seem to have a more negative camber than the 2WD?
Is this because the OEM tires on most AWD are slightly wider and have fender flares giving it the illusion?

Im planning to plus-size my tires and rims around the first of the new year.
I was wondering with wider tires and rims is the negative camber more pronounced?
Has anyone set their camber back to (zero) and does it cause negative effects with handling performance, suspension parts or cause safety issues?

Ravon~* 8)

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have plus sized tyres on my RAV and the negative camber does look more pronounced. Don't think you can change the camber to 0. Best thing is to rotate the tyres more often.

B

·
0 Posts
Re: Back to Zero degrees

RAVon said:
Has anyone set their camber back to (zero) and does it cause negative effects with handling performance, suspension parts or cause safety issues?

Ravon~* 8)
I have not set mine to 0, but approximately halfway between the factory setting and 0. This has helped with tyre wear a little and not adversly affected handling. I suspect that 0 may be a little too much and would affect handling. I.E. The handling would go from neutral to overstear especially in the wet.

On each back suspension, there are two settings. One for camber (upper swing arm) and one for toe in/out (front adjuster on trailing arm). The camber adjuster affects toein/out, so it must be adjusted last. There are adjustable spiral washers with marked calibrations that can be moved once the bolt is loosened. The markings are a guide only and are not absolute settings.

You must consider that it is very difficult to get the toe in/out correct once you have tampered with it unless you have professional equipment or know someone who will do it for you.

Brian

·
Registered
875 Posts
I noticed that too!
I pointed out a neighboring rav4 driving alongside mine only months after I got mine and noticed the weird angle....then I looked into the cabin and saw that it was loaded with 5 people! I guess the extra weight made it all the more apparent.

Later I noticed that some other parked cars had the same appearance...but of course not as extreme. I guess that's the way it is. Maybe it's a flaw,....like the weird bump on the hood of an old generation Eclipse or the back door of the older model Exterra.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Negative Camber

Mohit: “Best thing is to rotate the tyres more often”

My car is still under service warranty so the tires have been rotated at every oil change. Not a problem yet at 13,400 miles on the ODO.

Brian: “On each back suspension, there are two settings. One for camber (upper swing arm) and one for toe in/out (front adjuster on trailing arm). The camber adjuster affects toein/out, so it must be adjusted last. There are adjustable spiral washers with marked calibrations that can be moved once the bolt is loosened. The markings are a guide only and are not absolute settings”

I’m somewhat of a Gear Head and have done several Mod’s to my daily runner which include suspension work. I know you can add or subtract shims to adjust the camber. Just not sure if that would be the case on an AWD system. I’m going to get underneath the car this weekend to see exactly what you’re referring to...than maybe have a talk with the Technician.

Brian, Did you adjust the camber or did you have a shop do it for you?

Thanks Ravon~* 8)

B

·
0 Posts
Re: Negative Camber

RAVon said:
Brian, Did you adjust the camber or did you have a shop do it for you?
I do all my own wheel alignment, as I don't trust the average shop to put in the time necessary to get it right. If you knew someone who did this work and let you direct as the work was done that would be ok.

Shimming is not nesessary on the rear as Toyota have provided a fully adjustable system. It is very tricky though as the slightest stear of the back wheels will cause crabbing, so it is essential to not only get the toe in/out right, but also facing straight ahead as well. When the camber is adjusted, it affects the toe but not nesessarily the same on each wheel.

This is made even more difficult as the camber of the wheels is also dependant on the height of the car which means that if you jack it up to do something, it does not settle immediatedly, so all adjustments and measurements must be made with the car in its standard position.

Brian

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Brian, that is interesting info. Thanks for your informative posts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts