Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife was driving into the bank parking lot in her 2010 RAV4, and her water bottle fell out of the cup holder. She took her eyes off the road to retrieve the bottle and ran into a curb in the parking lot, cutting the sidewall on both right side tires. There was more damage than I expected (right front strut/control arm and spindle) and right rear toe arm.

The body shop called and said that the rear suspension was not adjustable before (dealer epoxy recall was done about a year ago) and now it is adjustable! So excited! (not) I explained the recall until I was blue in the face and finally got the body shop manager to understand that since Toyota did the recall already that I can't have it done again for free. They agreed that I should go to the dealer and have the recall done again and send the bill to the insurance company.

It looks like everything on the toe arm is metal, so instead of using epoxy, I am thinking about tack welding it with an arc welder. Since the alignment is set to specs now, locking the adjusting nuts with a weld seems better than epoxy.

Opinions?

BTW, I am an ASE CMAT L1 so you can spare the layman's terminology. :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The epoxy is to prevent water from getting into the thread area and causing rust...that rust then weakens the threads and one day they give out causing the rear all kinds of problems...if it was me I would put the new arm on and cover it with grease from one side to the other...deny water any chance of getting in there...grease it on a regular basis...a small weld will not prevent water from getting into the threaded area and eventually rust will form...that weld would eventually fail...

·
Registered
932 Posts
So my wife was driving into the bank parking lot in her 2010 RAV4, and her water bottle fell out of the cup holder. She took her eyes off the road to retrieve the bottle and ran into a curb in the parking lot, cutting the sidewall on both right side tires. There was more damage than I expected (right front strut/control arm and spindle) and right rear toe arm.

The body shop called and said that the rear suspension was not adjustable before (dealer epoxy recall was done about a year ago) and now it is adjustable! So excited! (not) I explained the recall until I was blue in the face and finally got the body shop manager to understand that since Toyota did the recall already that I can't have it done again for free. They agreed that I should go to the dealer and have the recall done again and send the bill to the insurance company.

It looks like everything on the toe arm is metal, so instead of using epoxy, I am thinking about tack welding it with an arc welder. Since the alignment is set to specs now, locking the adjusting nuts with a weld seems better than epoxy.

Opinions?

BTW, I am an ASE CMAT L1 so you can spare the layman's terminology. :)
I would give these guys a call... ask if this new arm addresses the corrosion issue. You can get them on e bay for 79.00 each.

http://www.spcalignment.com/component/spc/?task=part_description&pid=67805&region=USA&make=Toyota&model=RAV4&year=2006 - 2012&from=USAFrom&to=USATo

Specialty Products 67805 Adjustable Rear Toe Arm for 06 12 Toyota RAV4 FWD AWD | eBay

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies. Now I know the epoxy not only locks the adjustment, but seals it as well.

I'll find out what epoxy they use and take the toe arm off, measure and mark it well, and put the epoxy on and reassemble.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Or you could replace them with the OEM Toyota control arms for the RAV that came out after late 2011. No epoxy "fix", adjustable again.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Isn't the Rear control arms from 2012 RAV4 non-adjustable?
Pretty sure they are adjustable. My friend had her late model 2011 aligned and they charged for 4-wheel. The Toyota USA help desk told me they are adjustable. Forum member Octane said adjustable with a cam bolt. Junebug surmised they were adjustable. Any other votes?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rear alignment on my wife's 2010 RAV4 uses a sleeve/turnbuckle design. The newer RAV4s use a cam and offset pivot bolt at the inboard end. The parts from these two designs are not interchangeable.

I purchased the epoxy kit that Toyota uses : 00289-SW1KT-DS $32.84 cost

Now to find out the exact procedure. Since the alignment was JUST done, if I take off the toe arm, mark it exactly several different ways, take it apart, epoxy the threads, put the toe arm back together and put it back on the RAV4, it should still be like it was before. It seems easy enough, so what am I missing? Oh, the DO NOT REMOVE labels are in the kit also.

I know the dealer will not do the recall again since they have records that it was already done.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
..The rear alignment on my wife's 2010 RAV4 uses a sleeve/turnbuckle design. The newer RAV4s use a cam and offset pivot bolt at the inboard end. The parts from these two designs are not interchangeable....

...I know the dealer will not do the recall again since they have records that it was already done...
Both those contradict what the Toyota USA customer service department told me. Said parts were interchangeable... and if the alignment ever went out, Toyota would be on the hook to redo the recall.

Obviously since yours was in a crash, they wouldn't be responsible, but in the event of normal operation, they said a do-over would be free. They gave me a case number to give to the dealer if mine ever goes out of whack. Of course, maybe this is just what the corporate suits would say, not a mechanic at the dealership.

At least we've established the late model 2011 + do have rear toe adjustment again? I would like to see the old and new control arm parts side by side to see why not interchangeable.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Pretty sure they are adjustable. My friend had her late model 2011 aligned and they charged for 4-wheel. The Toyota USA help desk told me they are adjustable. Forum member Octane said adjustable with a cam bolt. Junebug surmised they were adjustable. Any other votes?
Yes, I had my rear adjustment done last year, and it was a cam bolt. it's a Canadian made 2012

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My wife has been complaining about a bang or knock in the rear since the accident. She is all freaked out because I told her in detail about the toe arm warranty, and that the body shop thinks they did me a favor because now the right rear is adjustable. When I picked it up a few weeks ago, I heard a pop from the front as I was turning out of their parking lot, so I went right back and they crawled under and tightened all the bolts. That took care of the noise in the front. She didn't hear the noise in the rear until a few days ago. This morning I planned to take it to work, remove the right rear toe arm and mark it 1000 ways, disassemble it, use the epoxy kit I got from Toyota, lock it all down and tighten everything back there. When I got it up on the rack, I saw this kind of toe arm :

The body shop did not put on the Toyota toe arm, but rather a toe arm from their NAPA store. This assembly is huge compared to the stock Toyota part, and the tie rod socket is rubbing the lower control arm. There is NO clearance compared to the left rear which has a 1/4" gap between the socket and the control arm. That is the source of my noise.

Now I need to buy the correct part from Toyota, take it to my friends at Dobbs (a local tire/alignment chain) and have them align it after I replace the toe arm. I only have 4 minutes from the time I apply the epoxy to the time it gets the final tightening, so I will have to put it on, take it to them and do it while it is on their alignment rack.

My chances of getting this reimbursed from State Farm are pretty slim.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
My wife has been complaining about a bang or knock in the rear since the accident. She is all freaked out because I told her in detail about the toe arm warranty, and that the body shop thinks they did me a favor because now the right rear is adjustable. When I picked it up a few weeks ago, I heard a pop from the front as I was turning out of their parking lot, so I went right back and they crawled under and tightened all the bolts. That took care of the noise in the front. She didn't hear the noise in the rear until a few days ago. This morning I planned to take it to work, remove the right rear toe arm and mark it 1000 ways, disassemble it, use the epoxy kit I got from Toyota, lock it all down and tighten everything back there. When I got it up on the rack, I saw this kind of toe arm :

The body shop did not put on the Toyota toe arm, but rather a toe arm from their NAPA store. This assembly is huge compared to the stock Toyota part, and the tie rod socket is rubbing the lower control arm. There is NO clearance compared to the left rear which has a 1/4" gap between the socket and the control arm. That is the source of my noise.

Now I need to buy the correct part from Toyota, take it to my friends at Dobbs (a local tire/alignment chain) and have them align it after I replace the toe arm. I only have 4 minutes from the time I apply the epoxy to the time it gets the final tightening, so I will have to put it on, take it to them and do it while it is on their alignment rack.

My chances of getting this reimbursed from State Farm are pretty slim.
Why would you have to buy a new arm? How about the body shop?

·
Registered
397 Posts
In case it hasn't been confirmed before, the above-linked aftermarket rear toe arms fit '06-'11 RAVs. I previously reported incorrectly that there were fitment issues, but that was due to operator error at the auto shop I initially visited to have them installed. Subsequently I brought them to a Toyota dealership, and they were able to install them correctly on my 2008 RAV4 which restores rear toe alignment adjustments. Please note I was advised by the service tech that the installation can be a bit finicky if the installation instructions are not followed to the letter as it will lead to the ball joint end being mounted cock-eyed, and potential rubbing with adjacent suspension components.

- 2008 RAV4 V6
- CSJ recall was performed in 2012
- New tires were recently installed, and I was informed that the rear toe alignment was way out of spec, but since they were epoxied no adjustment could be made.
- I bought the SPC rear toe arms off ebay for roughly $100 ea. and they have resolved my rear toe alignment alignment issue
- note the prices vary widely on the internet - my research yielded prices ranging from $70 to $165 ea. so I suggest shopping around.

A BIG Thank you to focus123 for pointing out this product!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts