Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my 09 for about a year-and-a-half, purchased used, never had any issues with it and have driven about 40,000 miles. after I got front and rear brakes done, there is now and new rubbing noise that the brake place can't figure out where it's coming from so they have replaced the rear rotors the pads and the passenger rear calipers and still the original new noise continues on the driver side that the caliper was not replace. they can't figure out what it is. I saw a YouTube video called Matthews RAV4 noise that was similar but the brake place said my e-brake pad is fine and its not the caliper pin. It happens intermittently (hard to reproduce on demand) on any grade, straight or turning but only at low speed, 5 mph, anybody else have any experience with this?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Perhaps the new rotor on the rear driver's side has an irregularity, in other words it is not true. Or if the sound occurs mostly with the vehicle's first use each day it could be the parking brake as the drums often develop rusts spots as moisture condenses on them when parked for a period of time and need to wear off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The noise was there prior to the new rotors. Doing testing now by not using my parking brake. So far it's still making the noise.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Have had my 09 for about a year-and-a-half, purchased used, never had any issues with it and have driven about 40,000 miles. after I got front and rear brakes done, there is now and new rubbing noise that the brake place can't figure out where it's coming from so they have replaced the rear rotors the pads and the passenger rear calipers and still the original new noise continues on the driver side that the caliper was not replace. they can't figure out what it is. I saw a YouTube video called Matthews RAV4 noise that was similar but the brake place said my e-brake pad is fine and its not the caliper pin. It happens intermittently (hard to reproduce on demand) on any grade, straight or turning but only at low speed, 5 mph, anybody else have any experience with this?
Correct me if I'm not following you.....first they replaced F&R pads only, then you started hearing the noise. Then they replaced both rear rotors, pads and the caliper on the passenger side. Still had the noise.
My question would be why did they decide to replace only the passenger side rear caliper when you say the noise seems to come from the drivers side? Why not go ahead and finish the job by replacing the driver side rear caliper?:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The brake place was just shooting in the dark about the caliper replacement. Clearly not the patch they were hoping for.

Status: no drivers rear noise but the rubbing noise i was talking sbout is still there and coming from the rear passenger consistently again.

Testing:
Brake place released the tension on the parking brake. I drove 2 days using parking brake, still noise. drove 4 days without using parking brake and rubbing noise went away. drove a week more without using parking brake and the noise has slowly started again and has gotten louder.

I'm going in tomorrow to replace the emergency brake pads etc.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
The brake place was just shooting in the dark about the caliper replacement. Clearly not the patch they were hoping for.

Status: no drivers rear noise but the rubbing noise i was talking sbout is still there and coming from the rear passenger consistently again.

Testing:
Brake place released the tension on the parking brake. I drove 2 days using parking brake, still noise. drove 4 days without using parking brake and rubbing noise went away. drove a week more without using parking brake and the noise has slowly started again and has gotten louder.

I'm going in tomorrow to replace the emergency brake pads etc.
Good luck. Be curious to know how you make out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts