Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I solved this problem. traded it in. It had the I4 also, so between the Stealership screwin us over and the foreboding oil consumption, we thru in the towel. It was a good car while it lasted for 10 years, so no regrets.
Y'all enjoy and good luck.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had the epoxied suspension arm recall done also and two years later I needed an alignment. The dealership said too bad and $500 please?? I bought the arms from them for about $200 and installed them myself, then went for an alignment at a local garage.
I felt cheated by Toyota so I left a little message on Toyotas facebook page and was contacted within 24 hrs. They refunded me the cost of the arms and I'm going through an oil consumption test which I hope to fail! Social media is a powerful tool......

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the epoxied suspension arm recall done also and two years later I needed an alignment. The dealership said too bad and $500 please?? I bought the arms from them for about $200 and installed them myself, then went for an alignment at a local garage.
I felt cheated by Toyota so I left a little message on Toyotas facebook page and was contacted within 24 hrs. They refunded me the cost of the arms and I'm going through an oil consumption test which I hope to fail! Social media is a powerful tool......
How easy was the install?

I think replacing them myself may be the best solution for me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
How easy was the install?

I think replacing them myself may be the best solution for me.
Really easy......just for the outside bolt , you have to lower the shock mount. I took it off but you may be able to lower it enough to get the bolt out. This has to be lowered because the bolt is in the wrong direction.There are two 17 mm bolts I think, (17 or 19) facing up under that mount. Good luck....

·
Registered
42 Posts
A word of advice regarding this recall. If your original arms are OK and don't show any signs of corrosion then don't get the recall done! I had mine done just because it qualified and regretted it because after it's done you can't get the rear aligned without replacing the arms!
My problem was that the dealership didn't get the alignment right and this was shortly before I went on a long driving vacation. Half ways through the trip (about 1000 km) I noticed the rear tires were showing accelerated wear and the rear of the vehicle would 'step out' when one of the rear wheels would hit a sharp bump . By the time I got home the rears were very noticeably worn more than the fronts. To add to the concern, the wear was more on the outside of the tread despite running negative camber at the rear. Seemed like a toe-in problem.
Long story short, after 2 separate alignment checks at the dealership which showed everything was 'fine' I had my regular alignment shop do a check and lo and behold it was toed in by quite a bit on the rear. Looks the the alignment machine at the dealership was out of calibration. The dealership came though and gave me 2 new links for the rear and reimbursed me for my shops alignment and the cost one of my set of new tires (they were about 1 season away from needing replacement anyway). They couldn't install the links without adding the epoxy because of potential liability. I had my alignment shop install them, do an alignment and now everything is good again.
Wow, that's my situation exactly except I waited longer to get the rear toe in fix (2 inches on each side) and instead burned through hundreds of dollars in tires. I just paid $885 at my local mechanic for 3rd party control arms made by MOOG, and another $110 for alignment. Ouch. My wife and I have decided to keep the Rav4 long term so we are opting for the 'do it right' solution.

I also talked to my Toyota dealership where I *used* to get regular service. I told them what my local mechanic wanted to do (replace the control arms) and they said the mechanic is misleading me and that if I brought it in to Toyota they would simply 'crack open' the epoxied arms, re-adjust, and re-epoxy. I think the Toyota suggestion is bull**** because the epoxy encasement looks indestructible and the sticker on it says DO NOT ADJUST, plus the Toyota part is inferior anyways.

Here is the infamous part: https://photos.app.goo.gl/LBDbGMFUQNq8QuMP2

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nine months ago we bought a 2009 RAV4 which has had all the recalls done. Since we've had it we have put 20,000 miles on it. So far there has been no problem with abnormal tire wear. If or when it should ever become a problem I'll just replace those control arms with aftermarket parts available on Amazon. The control arms aren't expensive and the labor appears to be no big deal. I'm retired so when it snows I can stay home. They should get very little exposure to road salt.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts