Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

281 - 300 of 426 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
This brings up the main concern I have about this whole thing. Toyota is going to fix it for free - great. They are going to fix it by replacing the entire engine - great, but also scary. An engine replacement was quoted as a 16 hour job by someone earlier in this thread and obviously sound really complicated. However, I am wondering if it could be a blessing in disguise. Is it possible that a full engine swap could actually be easier and less error prone versus changing out parts of an engine? Here's my analogy - imagine you had to repair an audio/video amplifier. You have the option of unscrewing the whole PCB/motherboard from the case and swapping in an entirely new unit or you have a repair that needs to desolder some delicate surface mount components, wires, capacitors, etc. Which one is harder? I think unplugging some connectors and swapping in an entirely new populated board seems much easier.

I am obviously not a mechanic but can someone who has experience with cars chime in? Is an engine swap possibly considered an 'easy' job; something that might actually take less skill than replacing a major part of the engine?
It's kind like replacing motherboards and pcb boards but more screws and connectors involved and have to tighten it all to spec. On youtube there are plenty of engine replacement videos. It's "easy" if you done it before but it is very time consuming job

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
You're totally right. I bet they did but I think if you believe that then you should also agree that they probably won't let a car swap happen. You'd think that by the time they figured it out, they would have recalled all cars on lots and on ships, before they reached customers hands. Then they could fix it and release them. Surely that would be cheaper and less of a PR nightmare than letting it get to customers hands and having to recall it then for a (complicated?) engine swap. But they decided to go with the latter route. This cost analysis is interesting to me and there must be factors we're missing.
It's a numbers game. If the number wasn't that high They might have thought they could fix the ones that come in under warranty.

Or maybe it was reported to some agency and they needed to respond.

Don't forget Toyota got fined 1.2Billion in 2014 for holding back info on the gas pedal problem they had.

Now they routinely release recalls without parts to fix them.
I waited 9 months for a replacement cowel on my 2011rav4

·
Registered
770 Posts
It's not only Toyota. My 2009 BMW X3 had a recall for a heated PCV valve which could catch fire and burn the car to the ground; there's video's. I was concerned since I parked mine in my garage when I had it and the garage was under the house. I actually thought about getting a smoke detector for the garage just in case. The recall went on for more than a year. Every time I asked about getting it completed, they said there was no fix yet. The funny thing was they were bugging me months after the car got totaled to get the recall done. No, it didn't catch fire.

·
Registered
178 Posts
And there's the qualifier, a competent mechanic. Finding one is the problem. I live in a small town and there's one dealer. I don't even trust the techs at that dealer to do an oil change properly, let alone replace an entire engine while trying to stay within the flat rate hours they'll get allocated to perform the operation. Hell, even when I had that simple ECU update done, the supposed "master tech" forgot to reinstall that red plastic positive battery terminal cover. I mean come on, it's RED and requires a second to snap back on. So what gets "forgotten" when installing all the myriad parts required for changing out an entire engine, especially when they're getting paid perform that operation in a fixed amount of time, a time that Toyota probably comes up with during an "ideal" engine swap under "ideal" conditions. No thanks. I don't even trust them to fix the transfer case properly if that issue crops up on my Adventure.

I remember my brother telling me about the Tacoma frame swaps during the rust debacle. He works out on Swan Island, which is close to where the importers ship in their cars. He told me about how Toyota took over an entire warehouse just to have who knows who "workers" pull the entire bodies and drive hardware off of brand new Tacoma trucks just to swap out entire frames. Makes one wonder how many supposedly "new" Tacomas went out to customers with all sorts of weird problems because things weren't put back together right because it was probably done in a hurry by questionably trained techs.
This where I got lucky with the dealership I landed @, full disclosure I contacted ALL of them in Ontario and just went with the one that had the trim we wanted (1 in all of Ontario...). I got lucky, this dealership we went with is close to our major race track and see's many sports car's (saw 2 nice modified supra's in the bay), so I fleshed a relationship there albeit it's a longer country drive.

For those still on the fence with finding a go-to dealer, maybe look around your most major race track if it's close enough, not that there's a definitive correlation on quality, but they might have better talent with passion in there than a major city dealer that looks @ customers like cattle.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
It's not only Toyota. My 2009 BMW X3 had a recall for a heated PCV valve which could catch fire and burn the car to the ground; there's video's. I was concerned since I parked mine in my garage when I had it and the garage was under the house. I actually thought about getting a smoke detector for the garage just in case. The recall went on for more than a year. Every time I asked about getting it completed, they said there was no fix yet. The funny thing was they were bugging me months after the car got totaled to get the recall done. No, it didn't catch fire.
Yes. It's ALL manufacturers.
That's because Toyota got such a big fine . Now they all report right away to avoid the same thing.

I remember when a recall meant something and they had the parts to fix them right away.

What if you have to wait 9 months or a year to get the engine replaced. They already got your money so they may not be in any kind of hurry.

I doubt they will be taking them off the assembly line .

Hopefully I'm wrong

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's a numbers game. If the number wasn't that high They might have thought they could fix the ones that come in under warranty.

Or maybe it was reported to some agency and they needed to respond.

Don't forget Toyota got fined 1.2Billion in 2014 for holding back info on the gas pedal problem they had.

Now they routinely release recalls without parts to fix them.
I waited 9 months for a replacement cowel on my 2011rav4
You didn't calculate brand value and reputation.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I picked-up my new RAV4 end of October and have driven 3600 miles without any of these symptoms. Fortunately I have a schedule maintenance appointment early March.

·
Registered
315 Posts
This brings up the main concern I have about this whole thing. Toyota is going to fix it for free - great. They are going to fix it by replacing the entire engine - great, but also scary. An engine replacement was quoted as a 16 hour job by someone earlier in this thread and obviously sound really complicated. However, I am wondering if it could be a blessing in disguise. Is it possible that a full engine swap could actually be easier and less error prone versus changing out parts of an engine? Here's my analogy - imagine you had to repair an audio/video amplifier. You have the option of unscrewing the whole PCB/motherboard from the case and swapping in an entirely new unit or you have a repair that needs to desolder some delicate surface mount components, wires, capacitors, etc. Which one is harder? I think unplugging some connectors and swapping in an entirely new populated board seems much easier.

I am obviously not a mechanic but can someone who has experience with cars chime in? Is an engine swap possibly considered an 'easy' job; something that might actually take less skill than replacing a major part of the engine?
Well, you have all the A/C lines, the transmission and the drive train connections. Then you've got the belt driven components, the fuel rails and lines, manifolds, vacuum lines, coolant that has to be drained and lines disconnected and reconnected and every electrical connection to the engine that has to be disconnected and reconnected as well. I'm not even sure if the brake system has to be disconnected on this car to pull the engine. Sometimes the entire drive train gets dropped out from under the car because it's easier to get at the engine that way, necessitating disconnecting the brake system. Depends on the procedure Toyota is going to use. No, it ain't simple and yes, some tech in a hurry could happen to not tighten something right or forget to connect something important, causing some nasty issue when you're out tootling down the freeway at 70mph.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Our 2020 Camry hybrid LE is affected. I will have to wait until a solution becomes available.

Title
SAFETY RECALL 20TA04 (Interim Notice 20TB04) - Multiple Models - Certain Engine Blocks May Experience Coolant Leakage Causing Engine Stall (non-hybrid) and/or Fire Risk
Status
Remedy Not Available
Description
Some of the subject vehicles may be equipped with an engine block that was manufactured incorrectly. This issue may cause coolant to leak internally and/or externally during normal engine operation. This can lead to engine noise, engine smoke, warning lights/malfunction indicator illumination, an audible chime sounding, and/or, in some cases, engine overheating and possible internal mechanical engine damage. If this occurs in a conventional gasoline vehicle, it is possible the vehicle could stall while driving at higher speeds without prior warning, increasing the risk of a crash. For both hybrid and conventional gasoline vehicles, the mechanical engine damage could cause engine oil to leak, which, in the presence of an ignition source, can lead to an increased risk of fire. NOTE : If the engine stalls in a hybrid vehicle , the vehicle will enter a fail safe driving mode, allowing the driver to operate the vehicle at reduced power for certain distances to maneuver the vehicle to a safe location.
Remedy
Toyota is currently preparing the remedy. When the remedy is available, Toyota dealers will inspect the engine block casting serial number to determine if it is involved. In the cases where an involved engine block is identified, dealers will replace the engine including the engine block with a new one FREE OF CHARGE to customers.
As per the National Safety Board, There are only three recalls on some 2019 RAV4 Gas Models, one for a backup camera issue, and the other for other two are for labels about weight capacity the need to be changed. No engine, transmission, or Drive system problems. There are 190 complaints similar to some things folks here are complaining about That is being handled at Toyota Dealer level only. My 2019 RAV4 FWD Limited Gas Model is running perfectly as is my father in laws 2019 RAV4 XLE adventurer AWD gas model. I have over 8000 miles on it so far. I work with many folks who have both the 2019 and 2020 Hybrids and they both have problems with their gas tank not filling up and Dealer is waiting on solution from corporate, both told me they take their time at the pump and can eventually fill it up, but very slow process with patience. This board is blowing a lot of problems out of proportion especially since only 190 complaints out of hundreds of thousands of 2019 RAV4 were sold in the US alone. My dealer provides a lifetime warranty on the powertrain of all new Toyota gas models only to the original owner and it can be serviced anywhere in the US and Canada, sounds like they are pretty confident. Check out Slidell Toyota Website to validate what I am saying.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'll be a happy camper IF Toyota can get the shifting on my trans right (which is A OK in their minds right now, happy trails) AND down the road I don't have transfer case issues with my Adventure's AWD system. The fact it "clicks" right now when decelerating below 20mph is a sign that's not boding well for no issues down the road. And for major repairs like this, I'm NOT happy. It's a new car. It shouldn't end as a refurbished car repaired by techs just learning the job all because of a major fix that has to be done, free or not. Unfortunately, the sweet spot for 2019 builds was in between June and August of 2019 and I jumped the gun. Could be worse. I could've gotten a September build with the bum engine block or a hybrid with a bad fuel tank. Just lovely.

·
Registered
266 Posts
one of the reasons why I got a new Toyota instead of an used one was the hope that the thing would have been solid and that I would not have to visit the service department for a long time. I do my own maintenance and service. ToyotaCare, no thanks. But with all these recalls...I feel that despite all my efforts, my RAV4 will end up at the hands of the dealership mechanic hacks at some point and they will destroy something as they usually do. I am not even sure I want those hacks to replace my fuel tank. I'd rather they order the part and I can figure out how to do the work and do it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm with you. Most of the time I end up repairing some "professional tech's" screwed up work anyway. However, an engine transplant is getting ridiculous.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I swear I spend more time looking over my cars inspecting for things they've messed up after they've been in the hands of dealership techs than if I'd just repaired it myself. Invariably, I can guarantee you I will find things not hooked up or messed up in some form or fashion. I've even heard of people driving off in their cars after an oil change and having uuh "issues" because the tech forgot to put in oil in the engine. Scary. Here's a couple to curl your hair.

OH GAWD!

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/2hiwex

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2020 Rav4 Hybrid Limited is not listed. It was built, I mean, assembled in Canada on Nov 21 and delivered Dec 8th 2019.

281 - 300 of 426 Posts