Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

301 - 320 of 426 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts

If you’ve just bought a new Toyota or Lexus, your vehicle may need its engine replaced. Over 44,000 cars and SUVs from the 2019 and 2020 model years are being recalled because they may overheat, stall, or even catch fire.
Affected vehicles include 2020 Toyota Camry, Toyota Camry Hybrid, Toyota Avalon Hybrid, and Lexus ES300h sedans, and 2019-2020 Toyota RAV4 and RAV4 Hybrid SUVs.
The recall is due to an issue with the engine block, where combustion takes place. Because of a manufacturing error, the engine block could leak coolant or oil, which may lead to a stall or fire while the engine is in use. Drivers may first notice warning lights and chimes, increased engine noise, and/or engine smoke.

In a written statement, Toyota announced that about 250 out of the 44,191 recalled vehicles will actually need their engine replaced, but dealers will have to check the serial numbers on the engine blocks in recalled vehicles to determine whether they were part of the faulty batch.
The problem started in September 2019 at a Toyota-owned factory in Tennessee that manufactures engine blocks for Toyota and Lexus vehicles. According to a written statement from the automaker, a water flow meter at the factory failed while some engine blocks were being cast. As a result, these blocks did not cool properly, which caused cracks to develop.
Toyota said it discovered the problem when it found vehicles with coolant leaks during inspections of new vehicles at factories and dealers. Although the majority of affected vehicles have already been sold to consumers, some are still on dealer lots and cannot be sold until they have been repaired.
When contacted by CR, a Toyota spokesperson would not comment on whether there have been any crashes or injuries related to this problem.
The Details
Vehicles Recalled
• 2020 Toyota Camry sedans manufactured from Sept. 12, 2019 through Jan. 15, 2020
• 2020 Toyota Camry Hybrid sedans manufactured from Sept. 16, 2019 through Dec. 19, 2019
• 2019 and 2020 Toyota RAV4 SUVs manufactured from Sept. 12, 2019 through Nov. 20, 2019
• 2019 and 2020 Toyota RAV4 SUVs manufactured from Sept. 12, 2019 through Nov. 20, 2019
• 2019 and 2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid SUVs manufactured from Sept. 12, 2019 through Dec. 10, 2019
• 2020 Lexus ES300h sedans manufactured from Sept. 16, 2019 through Dec. 18, 2019
• 2020 Toyota Avalon Hybrid sedans manufactured from Sept. 16, 2019 through Dec. 13, 2019
The problem: Due to a manufacturing issue, the engine block may be cracked. As a result, the vehicles may overheat, stall, or catch fire.
The fix: Dealers will check the serial number on the engine block to determine if it is part of a faulty batch. If it is, dealers will replace the engine free of charge.
How to contact the manufacturer: Toyota said that recall is expected to begin April 6, 2020. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-888-270-9371 or Lexus at 1-800-255-3987.
NHTSA campaign number: 20V064. Toyota's own number for this recall is 20TA04. Lexus' own number for this recall is 20LA02.
Check to see whether your vehicle has an open recall: NHTSA’s website will tell you whether your vehicle has a recall that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
the VIN #, bj

what are the first four letters of your VIN from left to right?

I was looking for an Adventure made in Japan, but I could never find one.
I got an Adventure made in Japan but I think they're almost like unicorns. Took 3-4 months for it to arrive in Hawaii.....and Hawaii is its own Toyota region so all the options are packages aren't like the "mainland" for better or for worse (Adventure doesn't have adventure roof rails believe it or not, adventures have standard moonroofs across the board, adventure comes in paint options other than the US brochure, etc.) Kinda nuts.

Luckily so far, I don't think I'm on the recall list.....but I still don't know if the Japan vehicles are any better. I previously had a California corolla which served me faithfully for 13 years with very few problems.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Something smells fishy. Out of 44,000 vehicles only 250 are affected! Maybe right now. Those that are clearly leaking. What about the future after years of heat/cold. I would stay away from any vehicle that is listed and built during the date range. Who knows what's in store down the road after the warranty expires. I can just hear Toyota....."sorry, you didn't kibbish the kibbidle like you were supposed to. That will be $6,000."

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
They must have produced 250 defective parts which got mixed up with good parts and didn't discover until those parts got installed/tested. Could have been a very short range but they wanted to be on the safe side. Also we may have just a few ravs or none at all that will need engine replaced since there are bunch of other models involved. Just speculating though

·
Registered
110 Posts
  1. Something smells fishy. Out of 44,000 vehicles only 250 are affected! Maybe right now. Those that are clearly leaking. What about the future after years of heat/cold. I would stay away from any vehicle that is listed and built during the date range. Who knows what's in store down the road after the warranty expires. I can just hear Toyota....."sorry, you didn't kibbish the kibbidle like you were supposed to. That will be $6,000."
    This goes back to how in the world did Toyota screw up engine inventory? 250 IMO is just the facts on the ground, meaning that’s 250 returned to dealers that prompted the recall. This recall wasn’t initiated by the factory otherwise the engines wouldn’t have been shipped. Regardless. I have my case number. A loaner might be in order if I’m paying Toyota to potentially end my life.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Stop. Just stop. It clearly reads 250 engines need replacement out of the 44000 VIN numbers effected, and they traced the exact cause down to a water regulating device that was supposed to control how the blocks cooled. Enough fear mongering.

Consecutively made parts like engine blocks don’t roll off of an assembly line and straight into consecutively manufactured vehicles. I’m sure they were mixed up after being taken out of the cooling process and carried on for other finishing processes. I’ve toured many firearms production facilities: I’ve seen first hand how this applies to items like pistol slides.

There is no special Toyota Quality machine that their organization possesses. Quality is free. They said so themselves in the graduate quality management course I’m taking. Thankfully their processes and documentation allowed them to narrow down this problem to a specific process and trace the issue to the vehicles that may have been effected.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts

If you’ve just bought a new Toyota or Lexus, your vehicle may need its engine replaced. Over 44,000 cars and SUVs from the 2019 and 2020 model years are being recalled because they may overheat, stall, or even catch fire.
Affected vehicles include 2020 Toyota Camry, Toyota Camry Hybrid, Toyota Avalon Hybrid, and Lexus ES300h sedans, and 2019-2020 Toyota RAV4 and RAV4 Hybrid SUVs.
The recall is due to an issue with the engine block, where combustion takes place. Because of a manufacturing error, the engine block could leak coolant or oil, which may lead to a stall or fire while the engine is in use. Drivers may first notice warning lights and chimes, increased engine noise, and/or engine smoke.

In a written statement, Toyota announced that about 250 out of the 44,191 recalled vehicles will actually need their engine replaced, but dealers will have to check the serial numbers on the engine blocks in recalled vehicles to determine whether they were part of the faulty batch.
The problem started in September 2019 at a Toyota-owned factory in Tennessee that manufactures engine blocks for Toyota and Lexus vehicles. According to a written statement from the automaker, a water flow meter at the factory failed while some engine blocks were being cast. As a result, these blocks did not cool properly, which caused cracks to develop.
Toyota said it discovered the problem when it found vehicles with coolant leaks during inspections of new vehicles at factories and dealers. Although the majority of affected vehicles have already been sold to consumers, some are still on dealer lots and cannot be sold until they have been repaired.
When contacted by CR, a Toyota spokesperson would not comment on whether there have been any crashes or injuries related to this problem.
The Details
Vehicles Recalled
• 2020 Toyota Camry sedans manufactured from Sept. 12, 2019 through Jan. 15, 2020
• 2020 Toyota Camry Hybrid sedans manufactured from Sept. 16, 2019 through Dec. 19, 2019
• 2019 and 2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid SUVs manufactured from Sept. 12, 2019 through Dec. 10, 2019
• 2020 Lexus ES300h sedans manufactured from Sept. 16, 2019 through Dec. 18, 2019
• 2020 Toyota Avalon Hybrid sedans manufactured from Sept. 16, 2019 through Dec. 13, 2019
The problem: Due to a manufacturing issue, the engine block may be cracked. As a result, the vehicles may overheat, stall, or catch fire.
The fix: Dealers will check the serial number on the engine block to determine if it is part of a faulty batch. If it is, dealers will replace the engine free of charge.
How to contact the manufacturer: Toyota said that recall is expected to begin April 6, 2020. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-888-270-9371 or Lexus at 1-800-255-3987.
NHTSA campaign number: 20V064. Toyota's own number for this recall is 20TA04. Lexus' own number for this recall is 20LA02.
Check to see whether your vehicle has an open recall: NHTSA’s website will tell you whether your vehicle has a recall that needs to be addressed.

If this is true then TOYOTA has the WORST PR FIRM on the PLANET!

Why didn't Toyota put that is was only 250 engines in the original Press Release?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Maybe that number is a little too optimistic? I mean, how did they figure out 250 engine blocks out of 44K were defective in the first place and how did they nail it down to a cooling issue with the molding process? After they were installed in cars and sold? (n)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Maybe that number is a little too optimistic? I mean, how did they figure out 250 engine blocks out of 44K were defective in the first place and how did they nail it down to a cooling issue with the molding process? After they were installed in cars and sold? (n)
Pure speculation, but they probably solved the problem backwards. An engine block had the problem described in the recall. They thought, what the hell? Why is this block cracked on a brand new vehicle? They searched backwards through their process documents (required with ISO certification) and traced the issue to the process described.

Mistakes happen. You hope to catch them before they leave the factory, but somebody %#!t the bed that day and didn’t notice the error that was made. The error was found as a failure when the product was deployed.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Not a good way to do process control, catching it later after the car gets through the entire manufacturing process. I bet someone at Toyota had a coronary when this was discovered.

301 - 320 of 426 Posts