Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

441 - 460 of 477 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Everyone here is running around with their heads on fire. 'OMG ENGINE RECALL!'
Worst case scenario here is that you'll end up with a brand spanking new, 0 km/mile engine under the hood without a penny spent out of your pockets.
What is most amusing is that people who don't even have the engine problem or any problem for that matter are whinging like little girls in a play yard about the possibility of things going wrong and wishing they've purchased a Mazda or Nissan or whatever.
The fact is, it happens to every motor company and more then often, to American car manufacturers. Ford & GMC had and still have their share of manufacturing defects, recalls and problems without any possible solutions.
Toyota had this issue with some of the vehicles all of which are built in the US.
Do you guys see a pattern here?
Toyota is as reliable as it was ever before or at least the vehicles manufactured in the 3 plants in Japan.

And even with all the problems, they always acknowledge there is a problem and work out a solution. Always.
Unlike Ford facing class action law suits for unacceptable transmission behavior and yet refusing to accept there is any such issue.

You might be easily assuming I'm a Toyota fan boy but I assure you, I am not.
Vehicles I have owned to this day in chronological order are:
Fiat Tempra
Ford Mondeo
Ford Focus
Alfa Romeo 156(this was one spectacular shitbox that i loved)
Suzuki Swift
Toyota 86
Ford Fiesta
And lastly Toyota RAV4 AWD Hybrid.

If anything, my history should make me a Ford fanboy and yet all I can say is, NEVER AGAIN.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not sure if you guys have taken your Rav4's in for the Safety recall 20TA04-20LA02. My engine had 650 kms on it. Hoping and praying, mine wasn't 1 of the 250s. And so far the Block ID number did not match. the message read 'The block ID number entered has been verified and the vehicle is NOT affected. Campaign Complete'

My block ID was D43xx. And from what i heard from the techs most of the Rav4's have been delivered to USA. So suggest calling your local dealership and take yours in and get it over with.

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
287 Posts
I haven't gone in yet, my app is scheduled for this coming Wednesday. I'm wondering, should I be present during the inspection or just hang in the lobby area - Has anyone else stayed near their car during?

I inquired if I can be present during the oil change just to check it out and they sounded cool about it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Can anyone explain why Toyota doesn't publish the bad block numbers if it's only 250. Why do I have to be inconvenienced going to the dealer for something I can easily do myself, especially if I have FWD where the block ID is easily visible? Is Toyota keeping it close to the vest so they can control any bad PR? It will probably take a lawsuit to uncover the extent of the issue. Right now all we know is there are 37,000 RAV4's under recall not 250. To those diehard fanboys why don't you ask a friend if they'd be interested in buying your RAV4 which just cleared recall. Maybe..... for book value less the cost of an engine replacement!!!! That could be $250,000,000 of market value lost by owners. (6,000 x 37,000). Don't you think Toyota should be a little more forthcoming?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Can anyone explain why Toyota doesn't publish the bad block numbers if it's only 250. Why do I have to be inconvenienced going to the dealer for something I can easily do myself, especially if I have FWD where the block ID is easily visible? Is Toyota keeping it close to the vest so they can control any bad PR? It will probably take a lawsuit to uncover the extent of the issue. Right now all we know is there are 37,000 RAV4's under recall not 250. To those diehard fanboys why don't you ask a friend if they'd be interested in buying your RAV4 which just cleared recall. Maybe, for FMV less the cost of an engine replacement.
Or at least publish the time frame that the defective engines were produced.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Not sure if you guys have taken your Rav4's in for the Safety recall 20TA04-20LA02. My engine had 650 kms on it. Hoping and praying, mine wasn't 1 of the 250s. And so far the Block ID number did not match. the message read 'The block ID number entered has been verified and the vehicle is NOT affected. Campaign Complete'

My block ID was D43xx. And from what i heard from the techs most of the Rav4's have been delivered to USA. So suggest calling your local dealership and take yours in and get it over with.
You didnt mention whether your vin # returned (e.g. on the Toyota recall query page) that it was included on Safety Recall 20ta04-20LA02, but I would assume it was... so congratulations on getting cleared. For the rest of us Rav4 owners I assume that dealers will not do the engine block check unless your vin is included in the recall list or otherwise has mechanical symptoms of a defective block or engine (E.g. Leaking coolant/oil, stalling, etc.).

·
Registered
15 Posts
You didnt mention whether your vin # returned (e.g. on the Toyota recall query page) that it was included on Safety Recall 20ta04-20LA02, but I would assume it was... so congratulations on getting cleared. For the rest of us Rav4 owners I assume that dealers will not do the engine block check unless your vin is included in the recall list or otherwise has mechanical symptoms of a defective block or engine (E.g. Leaking coolant/oil, stalling, etc.).
Toyota Recall website returned No recalls. I had to call Toyota and get the info as i already knew looking at the label on the driver side door panel it was within the time frame of the recalls. I have mentioned it in my earlier post. Good luck to you guys

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Looks like it is costing about an hour of time at the shop for inspection. They have put the manufacturing ranges off manufacturing dates. Seems like they caught a bunch at the engine facility, some at the assembly plants of various vehicle types and suspect some got through. Read here that there is not a direct correlation to what number went to what plant.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Toyota Recall website returned No recalls. I had to call Toyota and get the info as i already knew looking at the label on the driver side door panel it was within the time frame of the recalls. I have mentioned it in my earlier post. Good luck to you guys
So just for completeness, what month was your car manufactured and which country (e.g. Canada or Japan Or USA)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
M
Woodstock is not mentioned in the Defect Information Report PDF, just Cambridge(TMMC) and Georgetown(TMMK).
My Bad, its 1 of the 3 plants in Ontario,Canada. TMMC has 3 plants - Woodstock (west), Cambridge North & South. My Rav4 was part of the recall period and Toyota.ca confirmed it was using my VIN. Hope that helps

·
Registered
79 Posts

I'm confused. Did you take your car into the dealer or not? It would seem that you must have in order to have gotten the block id number and clearance. I wonder why the dealer inspected a car not mfr'd at a suspect location which the VIN should have reflected.
Congratulations? At this stage of the recall, with no extended warranty and limited info from Toyota, I believe the only congratulations are to those who need a new engine now. The rest have to live with not knowing if their engine is gonna blow up and the loss of market value. Please tell me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Congratulations? At this stage of the recall, with no extended warranty and limited info from Toyota, I believe the only congratulations are to those who need a new engine now. The rest have to live with not knowing if their engine is gonna blow up and the loss of market value. Please tell me if I am wrong.
Toyota’s report detailing the entire investigation for the recall was extremely detailed to me. If your block wasn’t included, there is no reason to believe there is a problem.

441 - 460 of 477 Posts