Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

461 - 477 of 477 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Toyota’s report detailing the entire investigation for the recall was extremely detailed to me. If your block wasn’t included, there is no reason to believe there is a problem.
maybe you missed post 435 above regarding Toyota's durability test where 75% (3 of 4) engines from the "suspect production period" failed. Toyota did not say they used 4 engines from the bad block pool. Wouldn't they have if they did? I'm sure their notice was reviewed word by word by the legal and marketing depts for accuracy before release. this is potentially a $250,000,000 issue. Please tell me where I am wrong.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Of course one could argue either way but the lesser of two evil's is probably that the inspection indicates that there is no problem. I'm inclined to believe that having a vehicle with a swapped engine would hurt resale value if nothing else.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm confused. Did you take your car into the dealer or not? It would seem that you must have in order to have gotten the block id number and clearance. I wonder why the dealer inspected a car not mfr'd at a suspect location which the VIN should have reflected.

Congratulations? At this stage of the recall, with no extended warranty and limited info from Toyota, I believe the only congratulations are to those who need a new engine now. The rest have to live with not knowing if their engine is gonna blow up and the loss of market value. Please tell me if I am wrong.
I sensed a feeling of relief by Denzu619 that he got his engine checked and Toyota cleared his block from the recall. As a fellow Rav4 owner potentially impacted by the recall, I just wanted to congratulate him on that. You can believe Toyota knows what they’re doing in this recall or not. But for the pessimists on the forum I’ll add “the Sky is Falling!”.

·
Registered
178 Posts
maybe you missed post 435 above regarding Toyota's durability test where 75% (3 of 4) engines from the "suspect production period" failed. Toyota did not say they used 4 engines from the bad block pool. Wouldn't they have if they did? I'm sure their notice was reviewed word by word by the legal and marketing depts for accuracy before release. this is potentially a $250,000,000 issue. Please tell me where I am wrong.
Correct, they tested engines constructed using 4 out of the 250 suspected faulty blocks and 3 out of the 4 failed. Suspected production period. Thus, they proved the suspected issue existed. Take a chill pill, Scooter. It’s all right there in the report. I suggest you reread it because it says right there in black and white that you’re wrong. You asked, I’m telling you you’re wrong lol.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I can understand why many of the 37,000 owners who get "recall clearance" want the issue to be considered settled and go away.....it protects resale value. But I believe the issue will truly only go away if owners keep pressing Toyota, right now, for better transparency. Did the 4 test engines come from the 250 bad block pool or the larger 37,000 production pool? What are the bad block id numbers and how do they match up with the so-called 250 bad blocks?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I can understand why many of the 37,000 owners who get "recall clearance" want the issue to be considered settled and go away.....it protects resale value. But I believe the issue will truly only go away if owners keep pressing Toyota, right now, for better transparency. Did the 4 test engines come from the 250 bad block pool or the larger 37,000 production pool? What are the bad block id numbers and how do they match up with the so-called 250 bad blocks?
I think it’s unclear how ”resale value” would be affected in this recall. One could argue that buying a used rav4 with 40,000 miles but with only 20,000 miles on a new engine might actually increase resale value for this vehicle. How are all those millions of vehicles that had Takata airbags that were replaced valued in the resale market? Shouldnt a car with a new airbag be more highly valued than one that’s 5 years old? I doubt most buyers of used cars even consider recalls and replaced parts in their evaluation of a car they are purchasing.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Alrighty, delayed response - but I got a clean bill of health, no engine replacement needed! I updated my thread in the hybrid forum to put closure with attached docs I received. Confirming the dealership level has the ability to validate whether you’re affected or not.

Take this next tidbit of info with a grain of salt, but while I was chatting it up with the owner, little birds told me there are within Canada approximately 54 of the 250 needing the replacement (all models listed in the recall), and the remainder in the states.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I think it’s unclear how ”resale value” would be affected in this recall. One could argue that buying a used rav4 with 40,000 miles but with only 20,000 miles on a new engine might actually increase resale value for this vehicle. How are all those millions of vehicles that had Takata airbags that were replaced valued in the resale market? Shouldnt a car with a new airbag be more highly valued than one that’s 5 years old? I doubt most buyers of used cars even consider recalls and replaced parts in their evaluation of a car they are purchasing.
Simple decision for me. If I have the choice of identical vehicles except one has had an engine swap I'm picking the one with the original engine. Many people do consider this today and with the help of Carfax it's often very easy to check what major work has been done.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Updated my thread over in the Hybrid sub-forum, received the dealer letter towards the recall campaign for those wishing to see it:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got my limited checked today. He said mine is one of the good ones, no problems(y)
My engine only has 1800 miles on it so I was hoping it wasn't bad.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Where is the engine block casting number? - How do you access?
Thx 😃
It’s in my previous post, there is a PDF on how to find it. Doesn’t look fun to look up in your garage.

461 - 477 of 477 Posts