Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 477 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Highlights - So if you read the whole bulletin, which I think is new:

44,000 vehicles -

"Information about automotive recalls, including but not limited to the list of involved vehicles, is current as of today’s filing date" (which I think was Feb6)

"and is subject to change thereafter" - so they may add vehicles, however this is standard verbiage from all their recalls - so hopefully no more.

I entered by vin in both databases can got nothing. Fingers crossed.

"Toyota is conducting a safety recall involving certain Toyota and Lexus vehicles - Toyota USA Newsroom

·
Registered
747 Posts
I love how this has been the worst toyota launch ever and people keep saying well what about Honda oil dilution etc?

I wish I had gotten a Pilot or last gen Highlander with proven tech or a Mazda cx5

·
Registered
670 Posts
I love how this has been the worst toyota launch ever and people keep saying well what about Honda oil dilution etc?

I wish I had gotten a Pilot or last gen Highlander with proven tech or a Mazda cx5
If my Rav4 needs a new engine, I'm done. Just curious though, you have expressed a lot of discontent with your Rav4 on this forum. What's keeping you from cutting your losses now and getting the vehicle you really want?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I sold my 2012 no drama Prius Five for this... sigh...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I’m glad I’ve kept mine!
This is yet another clear indicator that Toyota rushed this POS Rav4 Generation into production for the 2019 year with a lot of untested issues. Even the 2020s went into production with many known problems. Toyota basically admits that by significantly expanding the warranty for the 2020 model.

·
Registered
570 Posts

I would agree that this generation of vehicles - from all manufacturers - is becoming more prone to problems. I could list all the fleas from all the manucturers, but suffice it to say all the complexities are leading to more issues.

Having said that - the last generation Rav4 was like 7mpg less highway rated than the current, so everything is a trade off.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
^^^Cars are just getting more complex than manufacturers (and their dealer service departments) can handle. Even their engineering groups are struggling with overly complex features like LTA, Remote Control, etc.
Hell, I would be happy to be able to buy the 2012 cars with just a few safety additions and slightly improved mpg. This self-driving push has really jacked complexity over the moon.

·
Registered
452 Posts
If there is any good news about this recall is that it does not cover early 2.5 engines from the 2018 Camrys unless I misread the notice. This means that the issue is not an engine design issue, its probably a plant specific manufacturing issue. Still bad news as I just can't see my dealer changing an engine as I have issues when the tires are rotated by them. This along with the beginnings of what looks like a 2020 electrical problem are not good news. My 2019 has the gas tank issue but everything else is perfect with almost 6K miles.

If I have an engine recall I will be looking to trade or attempt to get a refund via a lemon law if they cant fix it correctly. Either way I will lose $1000s that I cannot afford to lose.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
If I have an engine recall I will be looking to trade or attempt to get a refund via a lemon law if they cant fix it correctly. Either way I will lose $1000s that I cannot afford to lose.
You and me and lots of others on this site.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just wonder if there are more problematic engines than the 44,000 identified which may not necessarily rise to the level of "recall." Are these 44k just the worst of the worst? I may be wrong but I don't believe Toyota ever recalled Highlander/Sienna/etc oil-sludge engines from the late 90's and early 20's. Customers were blamed for not changing oil at shorter intervals. Swapping engines is expensive!!! I hope Toyota fully explains what happened but I am not holding my breath. That's the problem with these things. You have to rely on the tight-lipped manufacturer and it usually takes lawsuits to get more info. IMO this is a big black eye for Toyota. Sloppy manufacture, sloppy design or both? Who knows? It may take years to find out. Did Toyota ever fully explain the transmission issue?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Our 2020 Camry hybrid LE is affected. I will have to wait until a solution becomes available.

Title
SAFETY RECALL 20TA04 (Interim Notice 20TB04) - Multiple Models - Certain Engine Blocks May Experience Coolant Leakage Causing Engine Stall (non-hybrid) and/or Fire Risk
Status
Remedy Not Available
Description
Some of the subject vehicles may be equipped with an engine block that was manufactured incorrectly. This issue may cause coolant to leak internally and/or externally during normal engine operation. This can lead to engine noise, engine smoke, warning lights/malfunction indicator illumination, an audible chime sounding, and/or, in some cases, engine overheating and possible internal mechanical engine damage. If this occurs in a conventional gasoline vehicle, it is possible the vehicle could stall while driving at higher speeds without prior warning, increasing the risk of a crash. For both hybrid and conventional gasoline vehicles, the mechanical engine damage could cause engine oil to leak, which, in the presence of an ignition source, can lead to an increased risk of fire. NOTE : If the engine stalls in a hybrid vehicle , the vehicle will enter a fail safe driving mode, allowing the driver to operate the vehicle at reduced power for certain distances to maneuver the vehicle to a safe location.
Remedy
Toyota is currently preparing the remedy. When the remedy is available, Toyota dealers will inspect the engine block casting serial number to determine if it is involved. In the cases where an involved engine block is identified, dealers will replace the engine including the engine block with a new one FREE OF CHARGE to customers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Does anyone know if VIN database affected up to date ? Toyota recall VIN look up service. Tomorrow I will call in Canada Toyota customer to ask clarification.

Seems, all these vehicles affected by this recall are manufactured at Kentucky plant. I understood it is engine problem which can be shipped to Canada for RAV4

·
Registered
78 Posts
Our 2020 Camry hybrid LE is affected. I will have to wait until a solution becomes available.

Title
SAFETY RECALL 20TA04 (Interim Notice 20TB04) - Multiple Models - Certain Engine Blocks May Experience Coolant Leakage Causing Engine Stall (non-hybrid) and/or Fire Risk
Status
Remedy Not Available
Description
Some of the subject vehicles may be equipped with an engine block that was manufactured incorrectly. This issue may cause coolant to leak internally and/or externally during normal engine operation. This can lead to engine noise, engine smoke, warning lights/malfunction indicator illumination, an audible chime sounding, and/or, in some cases, engine overheating and possible internal mechanical engine damage. If this occurs in a conventional gasoline vehicle, it is possible the vehicle could stall while driving at higher speeds without prior warning, increasing the risk of a crash. For both hybrid and conventional gasoline vehicles, the mechanical engine damage could cause engine oil to leak, which, in the presence of an ignition source, can lead to an increased risk of fire. NOTE : If the engine stalls in a hybrid vehicle , the vehicle will enter a fail safe driving mode, allowing the driver to operate the vehicle at reduced power for certain distances to maneuver the vehicle to a safe location.
Remedy
Toyota is currently preparing the remedy. When the remedy is available, Toyota dealers will inspect the engine block casting serial number to determine if it is involved. In the cases where an involved engine block is identified, dealers will replace the engine including the engine block with a new one FREE OF CHARGE to customers.
Does that show up for you when you look up VIN at Toyota or NHTSA?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Does anyone know if VIN database affected up to date ? Toyota recall VIN look up service. Tomorrow I will call in Canada Toyota customer to ask clarification.

Seems, all these vehicles affected by this recall are manufactured at Kentucky plant. I understood it is engine problem which can be shipped to Canada for RAV4
What makes you say the recall is associated with RAV4s manufactured at the Kentucky plant?

·
Registered
78 Posts
What makes you say the recall is associated with RAV4s manufactured at the Kentucky plant?
Simply I searched where Camry, Avalon, ES 300 are assembled. They are assembled there in North America. In that plant they make engines too. Just assumption. May be I am wrong. However, one of the posts up show the owner talks about Camry hyprid 2020 recall. I wish he/ she give more information.

This link gives idea where Toyota assemble vehicles

This link gives idea which vehicles affected by this recall

·
Registered
16 Posts
search through nhtsa and it tells me “an error occur”, but on Toyota recall website I get this

please don’t tell me I’m affected by it!!! 2020 TRD

41 - 60 of 477 Posts