Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received a letter from Toyota today saying that there is a "interim" repair to replace the wiper crank sub-assembly. It stated to call my Toyota dealer to have this "interim" repair performed as soon as possible.

Called my dealer to make an appointment and they said they no nothing about an "interim" repair, do not have the parts and said to wait until I get a second letter for the "remedy" repair.

OK, I called Toyota and they said YES there is an "interim" repair for vehicles that are in a cold climate (like mine in NJ) apparently dealers are not aware of this. If you lived in CA or FL there is no "interim" repair. Toyota said they will explain this in a letter to the dealer and I should hear back from them in 2 days.

Does this mean that they are fixing it twice?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Only Toyota knows for certain - or perhaps they don't know . . . the "interim fix" may involve the dealers' service departments squirting some anti-corrosion glop onto the wiper linkage until the "final fix" arrives . . .

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't think so. Dealer called with an appointment and said it will take 1 to 2 hours and the parts are on order.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Y09 Wiper motor linkage replacement

I received the first letter in November 2015 and the second early this month (March).

I made my appointment with the dealer in town and they replaced the crank sub assy #04005-47342 no charge. I had them do a maintenance service at the same time so I'm not sure exactly how long the wiper procedure took but the front desk suggested it would take approx 45 min to complete. I was told a journeyman would be doing that part of the service and regular mechanic would do the rest. According to the bill the wiper took a half hour.

For clarification….the second letter contains this on the back page…. "Toyota will provide a two-phase remedy at no cost to you. Due to parts availability, each phase will be released at different times.

Phase 1 Replacement of the front wiper crank arm sub assembly with an improved part.

Phase 2 Replacement of the cowl louver with an improved part."

When I dropped my RAV off at 7:30 AM there was 4 Rav's ahead of me lined up for service….. yikes!

Hope this helps!

Reactions: BOBSfromNJ

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. They are also going to check for "growl" noise.
Bob

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think were you live is definitely a cold place. Glad it all worked out. They are also going to check for that "growl" noise at the same time. Going in on the 30th.
Bob

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Don't think so. Dealer called with an appointment and said it will take 1 to 2 hours and the parts are on order.

Are the parts which are on order for the permanent fix? I had my RAV in to the dealer for normal maintenance last week and the service advisor told me about two recalls - the wiper mechanism and rear seat belt abrasion problem. I told him that I had received the recall notices from Toyota which noted that no fixes were available. The service advisor said that the repair parts for the windshield wipers still weren't available. He also said that no fix had been devised for the rear seat abrasion problem.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I received the first letter in November 2015 and the second early this month (March).

I made my appointment with the dealer in town and they replaced the crank sub assy #04005-47342 no charge. I had them do a maintenance service at the same time so I'm not sure exactly how long the wiper procedure took but the front desk suggested it would take approx 45 min to complete. I was told a journeyman would be doing that part of the service and regular mechanic would do the rest. According to the bill the wiper took a half hour.

For clarification….the second letter contains this on the back page…. "Toyota will provide a two-phase remedy at no cost to you. Due to parts availability, each phase will be released at different times.

Phase 1 Replacement of the front wiper crank arm sub assembly with an improved part.

Phase 2 Replacement of the cowl louver with an improved part."

When I dropped my RAV off at 7:30 AM there was 4 Rav's ahead of me lined up for service….. yikes!
Good report. ROLLTIDE had experienced one of the phases of this issue earlier, sounds like they replaced the underlying mechanism for him also.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/97-4-3-exterior/220897-wiper-mechanism-recall-done-but.html

I guess we can live with multiple letters, interim repairs, and time frames depending on the winter ice quotient in your area, lol.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Well then. I went and checked the Toyota owners site to see if it was there but found an entirely different new interim recall.

Safety Recall G0F (Interim G1F) - Interim Notice 2006 - 2012 Model Year RAV4 2012 - 2014 Model Year RAV4 EV Rear Outboard Seatbelts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like it is just the "interim" fix, the wiper crank sub assembly. There still doesn't seem to be viable repair for the seat belt issue.
Will post again on Wednesday to see what they actually do.
Bob

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Additional Info

Looks like it is just the "interim" fix, the wiper crank sub assembly. There still doesn't seem to be viable repair for the seat belt issue.
Will post again on Wednesday to see what they actually do.
Bob

OK so was at the dealer this morning. They did replace the Wiper Crank Sub-Assembly part # 04005-47342 for the Interim Recall (F1S, F2S)

While I was there I asked them to check for the Rear Coupling Growling Noise. I don't think I ever heard the noise but apparently they did. They replaced the Coupling Sub-Assembly part # 41303-42023

Just waiting now for the seat belt recall.
Bob

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
OK so was at the dealer this morning. They did replace the Wiper Crank Sub-Assembly part # 04005-47342 for the Interim Recall (F1S, F2S)

Just waiting now for the seat belt recall.
Bob

Your post indicated that the fix which was applied to your RAV is for the Interim Recall. Did they tell you what is to comprise the permanent repair?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe the defective parts are under that black shroud (sorry for the spelling) and the final fix has not been determined yet. I can assume is a replacement shroud that will not water into that area to rust the wiper linkage.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I believe the defective parts are under that black shroud (sorry for the spelling) and the final fix has not been determined yet. I can assume is a replacement shroud that will not water into that area to rust the wiper linkage.

Bob - Thanks for your reply and explanation. Out here in the West I haven't heard anything since I received the original notice about the problem.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
According to my conversation with Toyota the Interim fix was only for vehicles in the "colder" temperature states, whatever that means. The permanent fix would apply to everyone. You might want to give Toyota a call to see where you fall. My dealer had no clue and I was the first one that was done with a Interim fix. Good luck.
Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts