Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

221 - 240 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Oh, another kick in the pants. So they tell me 89.99 for an alignment check, and I say go with it. I visit their website and they have a coupon for an 79.99 alignment. WTH? The advisor didn't even tell me.

I didn't do a FTF because they told me last week not to wait for the car, they didn't know when it would be available. So I dropped it off last night with my wife following me there, she wasn't able to do so this morning.
I always check here for coupons before I go to any dealer. I don't think I have had a service done yet in almost 6 years without one.

Local Service Offers - Toyota.com

·
Registered
90 Posts
Picked up the car, got fed the company line, and it's all for now. Getting my 3rd alignment check Wed, and waiting to hear back from what you folks experience.
They gave me $10 off the alignment check begrudgingly.

Looked at a 2015 Rav 4. Salesman sure tried to sell me one, I told him Nissan and Honda were next visits. He said "please call me before you do anything" ...... yah ok.......We'll see..........

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem - had new tires put on today, rear is way out of alignment, Toyota says this is at "customer cost" but they'll put the dealer in touch with me. Big woops, the dealer already told me there's no way to align it and the other guy's numbers "must be wrong"

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the same problem - had new tires put on today, rear is way out of alignment, Toyota says this is at "customer cost" but they'll put the dealer in touch with me. Big woops, the dealer already told me there's no way to align it and the other guy's numbers "must be wrong"
LOL, they said my alignment guy must have made a mistake. The shop I took t too is one of the leading bodyshops in the NY area, I trust them.
I'll see on Wed when a 3rd party does the align check, who made the mistake, my guy or Toyota.

The company line is "customer pays". This should not fly.

We really need to get in touch with someone to escalate this. I'm going to start with Toy's corporate management with emails. Also going to hit Facebook with some comments.

But first, so I don't get egg on my face, I'll wait for the next align.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My guy "was wrong" too, another excuse added to the growing list of BS. :mad: We'll see in 2 days, if I'm wrong then it is what it is. If not, I go nuclear.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would never have had the recall done had I known the rear suspension would have become non adjustable.[/QUOTE]

Me either....my bad for not asking, their bad for not telling me!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had that done and Maui Toyota and Maui Toyota destroyed the struts in doing so. They fought me but ended up replacing my struts free of charge without admitting fault. Apparently this happened to up to or possibly more than 100 vehicles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oil usage test

Has anyone had the oil usage test that was issued as a matter of concern by toyota? This has not reached a recall status yet but I just returned from Maui Toyota to have this test performed and on the 2nd phase of the test at 1150 miles after a full service, i had burned 1 full quart of oil and was told that is normal oil usage? Anybody else out there burning ridiculous amounts of oil and being lied to about oil usage by their service departments?

·
Registered
3 Posts
AGREED!

LOL, they said my alignment guy must have made a mistake. The shop I took t too is one of the leading bodyshops in the NY area, I trust them.
I'll see on Wed when a 3rd party does the align check, who made the mistake, my guy or Toyota.

The company line is "customer pays". This should not fly.

We really need to get in touch with someone to escalate this. I'm going to start with Toy's corporate management with emails. Also going to hit Facebook with some comments.

But first, so I don't get egg on my face, I'll wait for the next align.
I'm in, whatever you need me to do - I'm great at letter writing. I already posted on the toyota facebook page and they gave me the 1-800 number to call and talk to them. Already did, thanks people!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm in, whatever you need me to do - I'm great at letter writing. I already posted on the toyota facebook page and they gave me the 1-800 number to call and talk to them. Already did, thanks people!

If that's the Toy customer service number, I've already called. They gave me the company line there too.
The "fix" was done, it's "permanent", " you hit a pothole" and "you pay for any repairs". Maybe you'll get a different story, and better results, you never know.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Ok just got a call from dealer. Says that the alignment was out and that there is a service bulletin that states to loosen lower arms and jump on vehicle(LOL) to see if it aligns the car. Said that if that did not work they were instructed by Toyota to do the recall over again. He said mine went in alignment when they did this so the vehicle in now within specs.He than tried to sell me 4 new tires and a Battery which I declined. I am leaning towards getting 4 new tires and having the alignment checked by Tire Plus. I'll have to ask what the TSB number is.

TSB-0042-14

https://www.eautorepair.net/app/TSBS_ALL.asp?S0=16384&S1=0&SG=NewUser&YR=2011&MK=173&MD=1554&SM=0&MKN=Toyota&MDN=RAV4&PS=2&MA=15

Does anyone have access to TSB's? Admin?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Has anyone had the oil usage test that was issued as a matter of concern by toyota? This has not reached a recall status yet but I just returned from Maui Toyota to have this test performed and on the 2nd phase of the test at 1150 miles after a full service, i had burned 1 full quart of oil and was told that is normal oil usage? Anybody else out there burning ridiculous amounts of oil and being lied to about oil usage by their service departments?
Hi rav49er
You probably want to move your question to the oil consumption thread linked below or to the relevant thread in the TSB section. But to quickly answer your question...yes, I have taken the test and failed it. I believe if you are down 1qt (or more) in 1200 miles then you qualify for the repair which Toyota are currently working on.
Go ahead and move your post and with any luck others will reply.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/177753-oil-consumption-5.html

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok just got a call from dealer. Says that the alignment was out and that there is a service bulletin that states to loosen lower arms and jump on vehicle(LOL) to see if it aligns the car. Said that if that did not work they were instructed by Toyota to do the recall over again. ................
So what did they really say? :laugh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Toyota corp, customer must pay

Took our rav4 in for service on Sat, was told it needed a rear wheel alignment, when we went back to get the car we were told that the alignment could not be done because the recall put epoxy on the adjustment arm. We were never told the recall would make it impossible to realign in the future, had we been told that up front the recall would never been done. Spent over an hour on phone with Toyota corp today and was basically told any repairs were now at our expense. How stupid is it to make any adjustable part unadjustable, I would love to meet the idiot engineer that came up with this solution. My next call tomorrow is the NHTSA. If anyone starts a class action suit please let me know. In the meantime I just might send the estimate of $400 for parts and labor for a rear wheel alignment to the state of Arkansas since it was their pothole that I hit.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Took our rav4 in for service on Sat, was told it needed a rear wheel alignment, when we went back to get the car we were told that the alignment could not be done because the recall put epoxy on the adjustment arm. We were never told the recall would make it impossible to realign in the future, had we been told that up front the recall would never been done. Spent over an hour on phone with Toyota corp today and was basically told any repairs were now at our expense. How stupid is it to make any adjustable part unadjustable, I would love to meet the idiot engineer that came up with this solution. My next call tomorrow is the NHTSA. If anyone starts a class action suit please let me know. In the meantime I just might send the estimate of $400 for parts and labor for a rear wheel alignment to the state of Arkansas since it was their pothole that I hit.
Your experience is exactly what I and others had. Sign me up for the lawsuit.

·
Registered
933 Posts
What are the parts that they want to replace?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would never have had the recall done had I known the rear suspension would have become non adjustable.
Me either....my bad for not asking, their bad for not telling me!!![/QUOTE]

I did ask about that on this forum. The answer was it's safety related, especially for northern climes where salt is used. Upstate New York being that, I got the recall.

Since you're in Canada, that would be something to consider.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also, I received a PM from a forum member last evening. She advised that a dealer, not her local one, replaced the suspension parts at no cost to her. So, the repair work is up to each dealer not company policy like my dealer is spouting.

She can chime in should she like to reveal herself, but if not, that's ok as well.
I did post earlier about it.

I got the recall work done up at Northway Toyota in Latham, where I was working at the time.

Afterwards, my independent mechanic did 90,000 regular service and gave me a readout that the toe was out in the rear, both wheels. They wanted to align there, I said no.

I took it back to Northway and showed them the readout. They did not seem surprised about it. They scheduled an appointment for a alignment check and a re-do of the recall work. They mentioned they needed to replace parts, and it would take a few hours. I came back for the appointment, and after the work they gave me an alignment readout showing it's correct.

No charge.

Now, I haven't been elsewhere since for an independent alignment re-check. But it was a different experience than ladder13's.

221 - 240 of 276 Posts