Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

241 - 260 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Northway Toyota sounds like a stand up dealership, kudos to them.

Did they epoxy the new parts?
I assume so. It's a re-do, not a different procedure as far as it was described to me.

I found them easier to deal with in general than my local, whose identity we'll keep to the private exchange we already had - I still need to use them sometimes, given all these recalls.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Soooo, I had another independent shop check the align, their results were even worse than my first check by an indy. The rear is out of spec.

So 2 indy shops say the align is off, Toyota says it's in specs. :confused:

I think I've decided on a new CUV, since I was going to start looking anyway before this issue came up, but it won't be another RAV 4.

I'm still in on any lawsuit if one gets going though.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Soooo, I had another independent shop check the align, their results were even worse than my first check by an indy. The rear is out of spec.

So 2 indy shops say the align is off, Toyota says it's in specs. :confused:

I think I've decided on a new CUV, since I was going to start looking anyway before this issue came up, but it won't be another RAV 4.

I'm still in on any lawsuit if one gets going though.
Here is the TSB 0042-14 (thanks to jakub4)

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/attachments/4-3-mechanical/44010d1429720659-tsb-tsb-0042-14.pdf

I would probably go to another dealer with this info and your 2 alignment reports. On a side note my brother has a 2012 CRV and loves it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did post earlier about it.

I got the recall work done up at Northway Toyota in Latham, where I was working at the time.

Afterwards, my independent mechanic did 90,000 regular service and gave me a readout that the toe was out in the rear, both wheels. They wanted to align there, I said no.

I took it back to Northway and showed them the readout. They did not seem surprised about it. They scheduled an appointment for a alignment check and a re-do of the recall work. They mentioned they needed to replace parts, and it would take a few hours. I came back for the appointment, and after the work they gave me an alignment readout showing it's correct.

No charge.

Now, I haven't been elsewhere since for an independent alignment re-check. But it was a different experience than ladder13's.
I had the recall done about 600 miles ago and the dealership gave me a print out as well. Had it checked last week by a high end alignment shop and the toe is off on the rear. So at this point, I don't even trust the dealership results.

Here is the TSB 0042-14 (thanks to jakub4)

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/attachments/4-3-mechanical/44010d1429720659-tsb-tsb-0042-14.pdf

I would probably go to another dealer with this info and your 2 alignment reports. On a side note my brother has a 2012 CRV and loves it.
Ive been thinking about trading my car in for a 12-13 CRV as well.

Do you happen to know if the ride is softer than our Rav? My rav is a sport but any imperfection on the road, and the interior and suspension make noises even though I replaced every component in the front end...

·
Registered
90 Posts
The shop I went to today kind of laughed at Toyota's "solution" to the suspension problem. They had no skin in the game, weren't going to attempt an align.

One of the service guys mentioned he had a Honda Element, from the factory with no adjustments. He said he installed aftermarket fully adjustable suspension. Why can't Toyota?

I took a 2015 Rav out for a drive while at the dealer, not impressed whatsoever.

Going to look at the CRV, Rogue and Mazda CX 5.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I had the recall done about 600 miles ago and the dealership gave me a print out as well. Had it checked last week by a high end alignment shop and the toe is off on the rear. So at this point, I don't even trust the dealership results.

Ive been thinking about trading my car in for a 12-13 CRV as well.

Do you happen to know if the ride is softer than our Rav? My rav is a sport but any imperfection on the road, and the interior and suspension make noises even though I replaced every component in the front end...
Yes I would say its softer... drives more like a car..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Made a very good deal on a 2016 Mazda CX-5 this past week. Trading in my RAV4 and picking up my car on Saturday. A Toyota salesman called the other day to offer "a great deal on a 2015 RAV, it's my end of the month sale". What?, It's the beginning of the month now, go away.
I'm thrilled to buy a highly rated small suv like the Mazda and even happier the dealer made a good offer on the trade.

http://link.caranddriver.com/540611283b35d0fe288c0d442k2hh.a/VT-zM8PoMwagGpXkA4776

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-mazda-cx-5-25l-awd-test-review?src=nl&mag=cdb&list=nl_dvr_news&date=050415

Goodbye and good riddance Toyota, and your endless recalls. Hope you find a solution to the rear suspension debacle.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Made a very good deal on a 2016 Mazda CX-5 this past week. Trading in my RAV4 and picking up my car on Saturday. A Toyota salesman called the other day to offer "a great deal on a 2015 RAV, it's my end of the month sale". What?, It's the beginning of the month now, go away.
I'm thrilled to buy a highly rated small suv like the Mazda and even happier the dealer made a good offer on the trade.

Car and Driver

2016 Mazda CX-5 2.5L AWD Test – Review – Car and Driver

Goodbye and good riddance Toyota, and your endless recalls. Hope you find a solution to the rear suspension debacle.
That's one way to fix the problem... good luck with the new ride.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,447 Posts
Interesting. Good luck with your Mazda. These folks went in the other direction:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/181417-bought-new-rav-today.html

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/178642-question-2015-rav4-owners.html#post1715794

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good for them, I don't feel the Toyota love. Wait until the next recall.

I've had Mazda's before, they run great, get fantastic MPG and look good as well.

Guess I'll find the CX5 forum now. lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
A good news story

Sure enough, Toyota's recall solution bit me in the butt too...but this one has a happy ending.

It started about a month ago when I noticed my ride quality was suffering. I took my RAV4 to my mechanic,who informed me I'd worn through the edge of one front and one rear tire...partially the fault of all the $&;:/) potholes down here in the D.C. area and partially my own fault, as I'd not kept up with rotating the tires. In any event, I eventually agreed to replace all 4 tires (same price as TireRack.com) and get an alignment. Well, replacing the tires and getting the front end aligned wasn't too tough...but you guessed it...the recall solution (installing epoxy around the tie rods) meant he couldn't adjust the rear tires and they were so far off "toe" wise, that he really didn't want me driving the car without getting it addressed.

So I took my car in to Toyota of Bowie, showed them the recall notices (still had both), the Service Bulletin provided by focus123, as well as the print out of my mechanics alignment efforts...and they fixed the issue (I.e., removed the old tie rods, installed new tie rods, aligned the tires and then reinstalled the epoxy) at NO cost to me. Not sure what happens in 4-5 years when I need another set of tires and alignment, as it will be out of warranty...but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

BillK

·
Registered
933 Posts
Sure enough, Toyota's recall solution bit me in the butt too...but this one has a happy ending.

It started about a month ago when I noticed my ride quality was suffering. I took my RAV4 to my mechanic,who informed me I'd worn through the edge of one front and one rear tire...partially the fault of all the $&;:/) potholes down here in the D.C. area and partially my own fault, as I'd not kept up with rotating the tires. In any event, I eventually agreed to replace all 4 tires (same price as TireRack.com) and get an alignment. Well, replacing the tires and getting the front end aligned wasn't too tough...but you guessed it...the recall solution (installing epoxy around the tie rods) meant he couldn't adjust the rear tires and they were so far off "toe" wise, that he really didn't want me driving the car without getting it addressed.

So I took my car in to Toyota of Bowie, showed them the recall notices (still had both), the Service Bulletin provided by focus123, as well as the print out of my mechanics alignment efforts...and they fixed the issue (I.e., removed the old tie rods, installed new tie rods, aligned the tires and then reinstalled the epoxy) at NO cost to me. Not sure what happens in 4-5 years when I need another set of tires and alignment, as it will be out of warranty...but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

BillK
Glad it worked out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same experience too. They re-did the recall repair and re-aligned the tires at no cost to me. Unfortunately, they did nothing to the front so I had to go back and get a front alignment the next day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dealer has a solution (apparently)

Had the recall done about a year ago, then needed to replace the shocks and struts. The shocks and struts place said they couldn't align the back end because it had been apoxied in the recall. So, I took it to the dealer and they said they were able to an alignment but with a little bit different technique (they had to remove 3 bolts instead of the standard locking nut). According to their numbers it is now aligned. They charged me a standard alignment fee. I don't know what might happen next time, although I am not planning on keeping the car another 90k to replace the shocks and struts again :)

241 - 260 of 276 Posts