Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In mid December my wife and I began looking into buying a new car. We started looking into Highlanders figuring we could get a good deal on a 05 model. We had the opportunity to by a fairly loaded (most options except leather and stereo upgrade) Highlander Limited for about 25200. I was happy with the price but never thrilled with the Highlander's bland styling and my wife was beginning to think it was too large --- then we found out about the new RAV and decided to hold off until we checked them out. We test drove a 4wd limited and decided it would meet our needs though I'm still holding off until I can check out the V6 with front wheel drive. (Side note - we don't feel we need 4wd. Can anyone whose driven both comment on the ride difference?)

In the meantime, the dealer provided me three quotes

Limited 4x2 - $25680 plus tax etc.
stereo upgrade/9 spkrs
front side & curtain airbags
leather seats
daytime running lights
floor mats

Sport 4x2 - $23510 plus tax etc
tonneau cover
cd changer/6spkrs
drl
front side/curtain airbags
floor mats

Base 4x2 - $22515 plus tax etc
17 allow wheels
tonneau cover
roof rack/cross bars
drl
floor mats

So what do you guys think of those prices? Basically we're only considering the Limited but I'm posting the others for the forums benefit.

Also, my dealer only had a silver and beige one at the time we looked though we're interested in the green metallic or the lighter blue color (pacific i think). I haven't seen either of these outside of toyota's website -- anyone have pics of these?

Sorry for the long winded post...been lurking here for awhile now and finally decided to post.. Thanks in advance for any info!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Welcome to the forums Milagro, nice to see another person from Hawaii join the forums. :D

Those prices seem to be good, not too much more than what the 4.2 model RAVs were selling for. I can't vouch for the 4WD because my 1998 RAV is 2WD and is sufficient here unless you do some offroading. The 4WD will weigh more and decrease mileage in my opinion.

May I ask where you were able to test drive the new RAVs? I just went to Windward Toyota the other day and there was none. The local newspaper, radio and TV ads has just appeared; so I would have to guess that they have just released them to the dealerships.

If you do decide to get the RAV4, I am sure you will be very pleased with your decision. I love my 4.1 RAV and probably will stick with Toyota vehicles from now on. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Milagro
I might be wrong, but I don't think you are going to need a 4WD in Hawaii. It does not add really anything to normal driving (highway-city, no snow), and I can't picture anybody doing any serious offroading in that new RAV either. Gas mileage will be worse and the overall riding might be harder.

·
Registered
214 Posts
milagro said:
Sport 4x2 - $23510 plus tax etc
tonneau cover
cd changer/6spkrs
drl
floor mats
Hmmm. If that's a V6 model, then that's a pretty good price overall. On par I think for what I paid for my 2005 S model (of course I had negative equity so that bumped it up a bit)...

Wayne

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies -- this seems to be a great forum!

Howzit Derek? Cool to find out there are other people from Hawaii here. I test drove the new RAV at Toyota City in Mapunapuna but I am guessing they may also have the new ones in town/Kaimuki. During the test drive we drove over Red Hill to the Halawa exit and back with 4 adults in the car (myself included) and I was pretty happy with the 4 cylinder--but I just have to check out that V6. I noticed you live on the windward side. Do you feel that fourbanger is good enough to go over the Pali/H3 day in/out?

Just to clarify, we are only interested in the front wheel drive models, especially if there are no noticeable differences in ride quality during normal city driving.

Thanks for the pic flyingn and your red RAV looks great. I wouldn't have considered the red until I saw yours.

Anyone seen a green one?

edit - Also wayne, those prices are strictly for the 4cylinders. The dealers here don't have V6 pricing yet and I'm guessing they won't until March but I'm assuming +$2000 to the prices listed.

·
Registered
654 Posts
milagro said:
Do you feel that fourbanger is good enough to go over the Pali/H3 day in/out?...Anyone seen a green one?
Howzit, milagro. Old island girl here, grew up in Hawaii Kai. I've driven the 4-cyl and I think it's got the umph to get over Pali/H3, although I haven't test driven it on anything at that grade. When I was there in October, we rented a 2005 Corolla AT (not sport model) and it handled that hill pretty well. Granted I haven't done a comparison of hp/torque/wt ratio to know if I should even compare the two but I think that Corolla had less HP than the 4-cyl.

I actually drove the light green and I really like it. It's a toss up for me between that and the red. I'll take either, with the Pacific Blue as my second/third choice. The light green in person is much lighter than what is on Toyota's website. It's almost like a silverish light green, very classy looking. I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture because that was the first one the dealer sold.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
puttputt said:
The light green in person is much lighter than what is on Toyota's website. It's almost like a silverish light green, very classy looking. I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture because that was the first one the dealer sold.
Yeah that sounds like the color for me...what color was the interior? we're leaning towards the ash leather..

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to know...I plan on waiting until I see the color in person before making a decision.

Waiting on that V6 too..

·
Registered
654 Posts
milagro said:
Do you feel that fourbanger is good enough to go over the Pali/H3 day in/out?
Milagro, we took the 4-cyl Sport out in some hills today. They weren't as steep as Pali. It did okay and only felt it "hesitate" once when we were going from flat right into a very steep incline. I still think the 4-cyl will do fine but you may still want to consider the V6 if your driving Pali everyday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts