Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking for advice on the best receiver hitch for a 16 Rav4 Hybrid Limited. Any info on ground clearance, ease of install and appearance would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. I did search, but who knows why it came up empty.

I see you opted for the 2013-2016 TOYOTA RAV4 ECOHITCH. It's cheap compared to the Toyota part, but still pricey compared to the others. Was it a clearance or an aesthetic difference that made this one desirable?

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
I use the Curt 2" hitch from my previous Rav4, only use it once in a while, so I just install it when I need it, I don't feel I need to carry around that extra 40 some pounds of extra weight full time, and the Curt has more capacity than the Rav4 is capable of, so no need for the Ecohitch..... and the Curt is truly hidden when it's not installed! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased a Reese hitch today for my RAV4 from Amazon. Reese Towpower 97234 Class III Custom-Fit Hitch with 2" Square Receiver opening. $112.00

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I guess the install is pretty easy then. 8) Thanks. I didn't really follow the part on the cutting. Is that cutting the rear valance for fitment of the hitch or was that a cover associated with transitioning the wiring to the exterior?

I'm very interested to know how you like the Reese.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Cutting of the rear valance is required for the Ecohitch, not the others. There's also a cover on the driver's side that needs to be removed or modified by trimming to install any hitch (see reply #30 in the link), I modified it on the 2015, others just leave it off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have not installed it yet, but I don't think you have to cut anything. It bolts on with 4 bolts and the receiver is below the rear trim. I just saw the previous post. Sorry, mine is not a hybrid.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amazon is giving me an error message that the Reese will not fit my 16 Rav4 hybrid limited. All the hitches seemed to fit both hybrid and gas models.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
I have not installed it yet, but I don't think you have to cut anything. It bolts on with 4 bolts and the receiver is below the rear trim. I just saw the previous post. Sorry, mine is not a hybrid.

This is the Hybrid forum, but all 2016s need to have the rear valance cut for clearance of the receiver tube to install the Ecohitch due to the " faux skid plate", not so for the other hitches as I stated. The 2015 and 2016 have the plastic cover that needs to be removed or trimmed to install any hitch.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Amazon is giving me an error message that the Reese will not fit my 16 Rav4 hybrid limited. All the hitches seemed to fit both hybrid and gas models.

Amazon isn't real quick to update their database unfortunately, if it fits a 2015, it will fit the 2016.

·
Registered
551 Posts
This is the Hybrid forum, but all 2016s need to have the rear valance cut for clearance of the receiver tube to install the Ecohitch due to the " faux skid plate", not so for the other hitches as I stated. The 2015 and 2016 have the plastic cover that needs to be removed or trimmed to install any hitch.
HI Quickdtoo, do you have any pics of a hitch installed? I wouldn't mind seeing what you are referring to as the plastic cover that needs to be removed or trimmed.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
I don't have the Ecohitch as I stated before.

Cutting of the rear valance is required for the Ecohitch, not the others. There's also a cover on the driver's side that needs to be removed or modified by trimming to install any hitch (see reply #30 in the link), I modified it on the 2015, others just leave it off.

I use the Curt 2" hitch from my previous Rav4, only use it once in a while, so I just install it when I need it, I don't feel I need to carry around that extra 40 some pounds of extra weight full time, and the Curt has more capacity than the Rav4 is capable of, so no need for the Ecohitch..... and the Curt is truly hidden when it's not installed! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cape Cod, where are you located?

I just picked up a new 2016 RAV4 from Falmouth Toyota, and am looking at the CURT 2" receiver, or the REESE. Falmouth Toyota has an XLE on display in the show room with the CURT one installed, and a bike rack on it, if you want to look at it in person to see how it looks.

I did a bunch of research online, and although these aren't the "highest" of the choices, but they are well above the vehicle's clearance, and at the best price point in my opinion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Waldo, I'm in Sandwich. We got my wife's car at Falmouth Toyota. I just ordered a Curt hitch at amazon. It should be here friday. I have a set of ramps and air tools. Install sounds easy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts