Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
"faux skid plate" with emphasis on the faux. Skid plates are steel plates guarding engine, transmission and differential on more extreme vehicles . These are cosmetic and streamlining, embellishing the idea of an off road adventure.

Update: Installed the Curt 2" receiver hitch. As others have stated, it takes about 30 minutes with one person. I considered cutting the plastic cover on the driver's side rear, but decided to leave it off for now. Very happy with the hitch and ease of installation.

Tools required.
17mm, 19 mm and 10 mm sockets
Small blade screwdriver.
I used a 1/2" drive 24" breaker bar.
Ramps and a creeper.

Next project LED interior and fog lights.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Update: Installed the Curt 2" receiver hitch. As others have stated, it takes about 30 minutes with one person. I considered cutting the plastic cover on the driver's side rear, but decided to leave it off for now. Very happy with the hitch and ease of installation.
on their web site Curt only lists a receiver for the "non-electric" models. are you saying the hitch they have listed fits fine on the hybrid?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
on their web site Curt only lists a receiver for the "non-electric" models. are you saying the hitch they have listed fits fine on the hybrid?
Yes. The CURT 13149 Black Class 3 Trailer Hitch fit perfectly. There is a plastic cover in the drivers side rear that must be removed. If you plan on replacing it then it must be trimmed with the inside rear corner cut out. I left it off and may do it at some point in the future.

·
Registered
104 Posts
"faux skid plate" with emphasis on the faux. Skid plates are steel plates guarding engine, transmission and differential on more extreme vehicles . These are cosmetic and streamlining, embellishing the idea of an off road adventure.

Tools required.
17mm, 19 mm and 10 mm sockets
Small blade screwdriver.
I used a 1/2" drive 24" breaker bar.
Ramps and a creeper.

Next project LED interior and fog lights.
Two questions:

1. Earlier posts suggest there is no need to cut the valance/"skidplate" when installing a Curt 2". Is that correct, or is the plastic cover you mention something elese? (I just got a Curt 2")

2. Do you think the job is doable with out the ramps. I don't think I used ramps when I installed on my Element.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Two questions:

1. Earlier posts suggest there is no need to cut the valance/"skidplate" when installing a Curt 2". Is that correct, or is the plastic cover you mention something elese? (I just got a Curt 2")

2. Do you think the job is doable with out the ramps. I don't think I used ramps when I installed on my Element.
It's not the valance. There is a small rectangular cover in the drivers side rear. No way to install the hitch unless that comes out. As others, I did not reinstall it, but I still might.

I don't think you could do it without ramps. It would be very tight. Maybe you could make some on the cheep with a 2x6 or harbor freight has them for $40.

·
Registered
2015 Rav4 XLE AWD
213 Posts
I installed my EcoHitch without ramps because I wanted to leave the 2015 Rav4 in the garage in case it rained. No doubt it would have been easier if I had backed it up on the ramps.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 17450 miles

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's not the valance. There is a small rectangular cover in the drivers side rear. No way to install the hitch unless that comes out. As others, I did not reinstall it, but I still might.

I don't think you could do it without ramps. It would be very tight. Maybe you could make some on the cheep with a 2x6 or harbor freight has them for $40.
Thanks for the info. I can easily make ramps from scrap 2x12. Not a problem buying real ones but then I have to store them, I can just discard the wooden ones. I assume the screwdriver you list in the tools is to release the exhaust hanger?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts