Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any difficulty adding a receiver hitch on the RAV4 Hybrids? I have a bicycle rack that slides into a 2 inch receiver hitch.

·
Premium Member
7,005 Posts
Lots of hitches added to the HV as well as gas models, use the advanced search in the site nav menu, 3 dots top right. The only difference on the HV is for the trailer wiring harness 12V power wire installation due the HV battery being in the rear, the same hitch and mounting is used on the HV as the gas model.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone had any difficulty adding a receiver hitch on the RAV4 Hybrids? I have a bicycle rack that slides into a 2 inch receiver hitch.
The dealer installed hitch wiring for both camper and utility trailer. I choose to keep the wiring in the storage area with the spare tire rather than attached to the hitch. It's out of the weather until I need it and a cheaper installation.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had a Curt 2” receiver hitch installed last week. $280 for hitch plus installation. They install both Drawtite and Curt for about the same price. The install looks great and I have no problem with clearance on a steep driveway with a sharp angle change.

I have a Thule Helium Aero bike hitch rack. Works fine but I will be adding a riser/extension combination to put more distance between rack post and car trunk and allow hatch door to open. The bike rack post tilts out but not far enough for the trunk door to clear.
I’m looking at the Wilco extension with 2” rise.
(Other brands of extension + riser are Roadmaster Hi-Lo [ 2”,4”,6”,8”,10”rise options] and Kuat.)
I do not intend to tow with the extension on.
I considered a swing arm but they are pricey.

Tongue weight on Curt is 600 lbs. My rack is 19 lbs and two bikes are ~40 lbs. An extension will add about 10 lbs.

Tongue weight on Drawtite is 675 lbs. Has the same clearance as the Curt. Curt is made in US. Drawtite is made in Mexico.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a Curt 2” receiver hitch installed last week. $280 for hitch plus installation. They install both Drawtite and Curt for about the same price. The install looks great and I have no problem with clearance on a steep driveway with a sharp angle change.

@anniemfuse Did the dealer install the receiver hitch or someone else? One dealer quoted me $695 for a receiver hitch installed. That seems really high. At the same time, I'm afraid UHaul will mess up by beautiful new car somehow - lol. TIA

·
Registered
736 Posts
@anniemfuse Did the dealer install the receiver hitch or someone else? One dealer quoted me $695 for a receiver hitch installed. That seems really high. At the same time, I'm afraid UHaul will mess up by beautiful new car somehow - lol. TIA
I had my Curt hitch installed at U-Haul (in Canada) and because the installation is fairly straightforward (4 bolts), U-Haul shouldn't have any issues with screwing up the install. With U-Haul, if you pay $5 extra, you'll get lifetime warranty on the hitch which includes protection from accidents, theft, corrosion, etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
U-Haul in bay area charges $40 - $45 for installation + tax.
You can choose either $150 Curt p/n 13416 or $180 Draw-Tite Max-Frame p/n 76201 with $5 unlimited lifetime warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts