Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently purchased 2008 RAV4 limited, have some questions

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased 2008 RAV4 limited. It came with only one key. That key doesnot have any dot or G.

Just find out today that this car does not even comes with a remote system. Is that right?, I thought it must have come a remote system. Need help, anybody knows about it?

Thank you

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
They were all keyless, if that's what you mean by "remote system".

If you do not have the dot or G, you can further confirm using that by checking if you have a blinking red light near the radio when car is off..
If there is no blinking light, you definitely do not have a transponder on the car.

That makes it super easy to make a duplicate. Just buy a blank Toyota key from ebay and get it cut. Just make sure the key has the circuit for locking/unlocking the car.
As far as I know, you can program that key either using the lock/unlock buttons or the TEchstream software.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
you most likely have a valet key or a non remote copy of the master key...yes it has keyless remote entry and you will need to buy the correct key/remote combo...they sell them on amazon and ebay for 30 bucks or so...you will need a locksmith or dealer to program them unless you get the software and do it yourself...hit google up and you will learn plenty...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys. This is what I thought, it must have key less entry system. But I contacted dealer I bought from and they said that it does not have that key less entry system. I think maybe the seller removed the system or so. And yes it has that blinking red light.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
Thank you guys. This is what I thought, it must have key less entry system. But I contacted dealer I bought from and they said that it does not have that key less entry system. I think maybe the seller removed the system or so. And yes it has that blinking red light.
The dealer is wrong. All 2008 RAV4 Limited models came with 2 remote keys, and 1 valet key. The keys each have an immobilizer chip inside. That chip is what turns off the flashing Security light and allows the engine to start.

·
Registered
137 Posts
my 07 Base has door lock/unlock with two fob keys and a valet key.
Cant imagine an 08 limited with less features than an 07 base. I would go with the other guys and guess you have a valet key.
you can order the fob keys from amazon/ebay and get them cut, then only problem is programming the fob into the car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you want to see if you still have the automated door locks, simply place the key you have in the drivers door and unlock (lock) it twice. If all doors unlock (lock) then you still have the system. The mod of removing the remote door locks is only done by people who lost their remotes and do not want to spend the money on new keys.....and when they do it, it is only the lost key which is removed from the system not the system itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts