Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that the Recirc button sometimes comes on automatically after I start the engine on my Limited I4. The Auto function is off (I don't use it).

For example, the last few days have been mild. I set the temp to 18 (basically, no heat). On starting the engine, the recirculate button is lit up. If I then move the temp to say, 21, the light goes out and goes back to fresh air.

I cannot see any logic in this. Especially when Auto is not turned on. The manual seems very vague regarding this. Anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hehe I'm glad i'm not alone on this either. The last couple of days my Recirc has come on by itself as well when I started up my Rav. :?

P

·
0 Posts
ok, im glad Im not the only one. Most mornings the recirc air button is engaged.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting...

Okay, I too am glad that I'm not the only one. I could understand this if the Auto function is turned on, but when its not on Auto, nothing should be coming on by itself. At least that is how I look at it. In my Highlander, I just set it to 18 in the summer and have fresh air going with fan on low. In the RAV, I must remeber to turn on the fresh air. I wonder what the logic is behind this and why it is different than the climate control in the Highlander (which also has the Auto function)?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still don't see why the recirc button comes on by itself when AUTO IS TURNED OFF. I totally understand if you are using the Auto setting. When not in Auto mode though, NOTHING on the HVAC system should come on by itself I would think.

Not a huge deal really, but I can see it being a pain the the *** in the summer when you just want normal ventilation with no conditioning of the air. Just fan on low with fresh air.

The manual does mention that Recirc may come on by itself, but in Auto mode.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I agree it shouldn't be doing anything by itself unless it's in Auto mode, but unfortunately the problem with some auto climate control systems is that they think they're smarter than the driver. That's probably true in some cases but there are still those of us who know what kind of temperature and air flow we want.

P

·
0 Posts
flyingn said:
then push the recirc button off and up the fan speed. :)
Yup, over and over and over and over.....

Really, if it's not on auto mode the recirculate has no business coming on, no matter what. Personally, I think it's unintended and should be considered a bug in the system.

John

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
packpackpack said:
Really, if it's not on auto mode the recirculate has no business coming on, no matter what. Personally, I think it's unintended and should be considered a bug in the system.

John
Its not a bug, my other Toyota does the same thing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
how come in the ltd we cant adjust the incoming temp w/o having the fan on. we dont have the knob type temp control so we can adjust the temp w/o turning on the fan. :evil:

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
if ya read my other post on this you would have found out that we can adjust the temp. I found this out one day while driving it on a warm afternoon after my wife drove it in the cool morning. She shut it off while the temp setting was at 80 or so. While drivig it I felt hot air coming out of th events and turned on the system to see she had the temp set for 80. I lowered it to 68 and shut it off. After that cool air came thru the vents with the system off

·
Registered
179 Posts
I’ve fought with the same Recirculate behavior on my ’02 Camry.
This time of year, it constantly wants to reset the fresh air to recirculate, even with the system “off.”
Seems like if the outside air is warmer than the inside desired temperature setting, it “thinks” that it is helping you by keeping the warm outside air out. However, it doesn’t seem to realize the case where outside air = 80f, inside setting=70f, inside actual =90f, blowing outside air into the cabin is actually better than recirculating.
Anyway, get used to pressing that button every time you start the car, during warm weather, if you want fresh air and you don’t leave it on “auto.” (If you have it set to “auto” it may start out in Recirculate mode but only for a minute or so.) Even with it on “auto” it Recirculates at bad times – same example temps as above, if we were on “auto,” wouldn’t it be better to cool the 80f outside air than to recirculate the 90f-110f degree inside air thru the a/c?...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jabba,

Great post! I think that describes it exactly. Interesting that your '02 Camry has this "feature". My '02 Highlander does not turn on Recirc when set to manual. I find that strange since the Camry and Highlander are very similar in features and finish.

I still think its a stupid feature. When you set the HVAC to "Manual", nothing should come on automatically. I'm sure I'll get used to hitting the recirc button each time I start it, but what a dumb "feature".

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thank you for your post everyone. I just found out the "issue" couple days ago. You explained to me that's normal.

Can anyone tell me where the interior tempreture sensor is? I'm wondering does it matter where the sensor located.

Thanks.

TSQ

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
It is behind the dash to the left and slightly below the 3 round hvac knobs.

tsq2006 said:
Thank you for your post everyone. I just found out the "issue" couple days ago. You explained to me that's normal.

Can anyone tell me where the interior tempreture sensor is? I'm wondering does it matter where the sensor located.

Thanks.

TSQ

1 - 20 of 60 Posts