Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello

I just bought a 1996 Rav 4 GX 2 door (77000 miles)

can anyone give me some orientation and basic maintanence tips?

Since i am a new car owner (not owned one before), I want someone to please give me some recomendations as to what to look for, what sort of maintenance "check up" I should do to have it last as long as it can.

I know i will have to replace the timing belt and water pump soon.

The car is in great condition, and runs good.

it had the oil sump replaced because of rust, Can anyone tell me if i should expect more parts to be replaced because of rust.

Thanks for any helpful comments.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
chacalon,
Unless you have receipts to prove otherwise (ie, the previous owner did this), change all of the fluids...oil, tranny, diff, radiator, brake, PS etc.
On a 1996 vehicle, you're prolly looking at some brake work, maybe suspension work, but generally, these RAVs seem pretty robust. If they use salt on the roads, also check the condition of your exhaust...
Was the oil sump perforated? I'd be really suprised if you had to replace it if it was...but, stranger things have happened. If so, check stuff like your hard brake lines, those might be close to going as well...

Bogatyr

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bogatyr

Thanks for the info ....

The sump was replaced but it was covered by a 3 month warranty so i didnt pay a thing for the new one. The sump seemed to have been patched up a couple of times already.

I think the exhaust will need replacing soon, looks rusty, but it might hold for a while longer.

Many Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts