Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new to the forum. Drive a 2017 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD Black Metallic Currant. Looking at installing a hitch. Should I go OEM or aftermarket? I won't be towing anything. Use will be solely for bike rack and cargo cage.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I put a Curt hitch on mine and am very pleased with it. It bolts up to existing holes in the frame and is easy to install.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm brand new to the forum. Drive a 2017 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD Black Metallic Currant. Looking at installing a hitch. Should I go OEM or aftermarket? I won't be towing anything. Use will be solely for bike rack and cargo cage.
There are lots of options and several other threads on the subject. Depends on how much of it you mind seeing. Some are more hidden than others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!! I was looking at that one. Fair priced and seems very simple to install! I see I would have to remove a plastic cover underneath to access the tow hook. Any issues arise from removing plastic cover at all?

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Use the 4.4 section Search this forum box to find previous hitch discussions, there are several with pics and suggestions for hitches, the most popular are the US made Curt and Torklift, as well as the Drawtite and Reese which are made in Mexico. The Torklift Ecohitch and one of the Drawtites are hidden hitches, only the receiver shows below the rear valance, not the cross tube, the plastic cover can be trimmed and reinstalled or left off, it doesn't really serve any purpose, the '13-'14 models didn't have it, it was new for the '15 model year. You may have to trim a notch in the valance(fake skid plate) for the receiver tube on some hitches, this is specifically mentioned for the Torklift installation.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I assume the installation is the same for the 2017. I'm thinking it's a simple installation you can do yourself even if you use a different brand of hitch. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
The only reason to go OEM Toyota is for a V-6 with tow prep hauling the max load of 3500# and 300# tongue weight. For your situation any name brand bolt on will be more than you need. I would shop by price and keep the 150# tongue weight in mind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have ordered the Curt hitch! 2" receiver. Thanks for all the input!!! I'll post photos once installed and bike rack on. ?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a DrawTite 2" (HiddenHitch and DrawTite is the same company I think) class II (or III?). Looks good for now. I use it to tow a 8x4 trailer.

http://www.draw-tite.com/support/catalogs/HorizonGlobal-2017-Catalog.pdf
Part #75235

I wanted the Toyota OEM hitch but was way too expansive. OEM seems more solid/durable and has more ground clearance but for my needs, it's fine. Curt seems to be fine also.

Here's a picture of my car with the hitch (RAV4 Hybrid XLE 2017).

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem, I have exactly the same model, I want to place only the bike I do not want to tow anything and I do not know what to buy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts