·
Registered
2020 XSE Silver/Black Hybrid
87 Posts
Got links by any chance?

·
Registered
203 Posts
OK, so I just bought the LasFit 921 bulbs for the reverse lights, which is what I really wanted -- I needed more light when backing out of my garage in the dark and rain. I'm very happy with them. I decided to try a pair of LasFit 7440 bulbs for the turn signal lights -- just one pair, to try them out. I decided to put them in the rear, and try them out before getting a second pair for the front. And indeed, now that I've got them, I have one big question about using them in the front: In the rear, the turn signals are only going to signal for short periods of time, whereas the front turn signals stay on all of the time that the lights are on, except for when they're just in DRL mode. Thus, those front signals could be on for hours. At 2400 lumens, that sounds really sketchy to me -- what are your thoughts? Has anyone been using them on the fronts for a significant amount of time? I sure like the idea of having the brighter signals on the back, for like when I'm stopped in a traffic lane, trying to make a turn. Anything to help catch the attention of all of the drivers coming up behind me. I'm a bit less worried about the front signals, and far more worried about the LED bulbs melting the housings, or the wiring, or whatever. So, again, if you have any thoughts about using these up front, I'd love to hear them!

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 Hybrid XLE + Cold Weather, Ruby Flare Pearl
91 Posts
OK, so I just bought the LasFit 921 bulbs for the reverse lights, which is what I really wanted -- I needed more light when backing out of my garage in the dark and rain. I'm very happy with them. I decided to try a pair of LasFit 7440 bulbs for the turn signal lights -- just one pair, to try them out. I decided to put them in the rear, and try them out before getting a second pair for the front. And indeed, now that I've got them, I have one big question about using them in the front: In the rear, the turn signals are only going to signal for short periods of time, whereas the front turn signals stay on all of the time that the lights are on, except for when they're just in DRL mode. Thus, those front signals could be on for hours. At 2400 lumens, that sounds really sketchy to me -- what are your thoughts? Has anyone been using them on the fronts for a significant amount of time? I sure like the idea of having the brighter signals on the back, for like when I'm stopped in a traffic lane, trying to make a turn. Anything to help catch the attention of all of the drivers coming up behind me. I'm a bit less worried about the front signals, and far more worried about the LED bulbs melting the housings, or the wiring, or whatever. So, again, if you have any thoughts about using these up front, I'd love to hear them!
Just to confirm, you have the “Type A” headlights in the manual? (LE Hybrid, Gas models) For DRLs I would think you want the 7443/7444 with the switchbacks, instead of the 7440s.

2400LM is not going to be a problem for the lenses etc., other than blinding oncoming traffic. The 24W of heat generated is comparable to a traditional bulb and should be fine, and the current draw will be comparable as well (hence the lack of hyper flash).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just to confirm, you have the “Type A” headlights in the manual? (LE Hybrid, Gas models) For DRLs I would think you want the 7443/7444 with the switchbacks, instead of the 7440s.

2400LM is not going to be a problem for the lenses etc., other than blinding oncoming traffic. The 24W of heat generated is comparable to a traditional bulb and should be fine, and the current draw will be comparable as well (hence the lack of hyper flash).

Gnochi, thanks for your help. I know enough about this to be dangerous -- pretty much just what has been mentioned in this thread.

First of all, I have a gasoline Limited model, and my owner's manual really doesn't say anything about the "headlights" -- but it shows that the front and rear turn signal lights are "Type C" lights. It shows that the front turn signals are "7444NA" (28/8 watts), and the rear turn signals are "WY21W" (21 watts). The description for the lights I purchased, and installed in the rears are "LASFIT 7440 7441 W21W WY21W LED Turn Signal Lights." So, that sounds correct. I just re-read the messages in the thread, and the general gist has been that the front signal lights "don't do switchbacks," but I'll admit to not knowing what "switchbacks" refers to at all. I did some looking on Amazon, and found some bulbs "with switchbacks" that changed from amber for signalling and white for "parking light," or whatever you call it when they are on along with the low or high beams. I certainly don't want lights that would change colors like that -- the existing ones are amber all the time, just getting brighter when actually signalling, or "off" when in DRL mode, and flashing when signalling. So, that's the end result I'm looking for, at the least.

I'm glad to hear that they don't generate much heat -- I have been thinking in terms of flashlights with over 1000 lumens that you virtually can't touch after a minute or two, so apparently that must be more about the battery and power and such within a flashlight, as opposed to the actual LED bulbs, themselves.

Again, thanks for your help and advice!

·
Registered
91 Posts
The anti-switchbacks thing is because there are two different polarity sets (CK and not-CK), which I had admittedly not considered. That’s fine for incandescent but problematic for LEDs lacking proper rectification. That said, if you don’t pick switchbacks, I don’t believe you’ll get the Parking Light / DRL option to illuminate at all. Worth a shot either way though.

I know some of the Morimoto options are both CK and non-CK capable.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Gnochi, Thanks again for your thoughts. I would be entirely OK with the parking lights being on while in DRL mode -- i.e., whenever the lights are on, whether it be brights, low beams, or in DRL mode. I sure wouldn't want to lose the parking lights entirely. I always want to err on the side of having more lights on, so other drivers can see me better. I'll be doing some more research, and perhaps we'll hear from some of the folks who have gone one route or the other here. But indeed, it's entirely possible to just try something, and if it doesn't achieve the desired results, go ahead and try something else. LasFit, at the least, always mentions how their lights are returnable. So, I'll probably spend a few days looking around, and then just go for something.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

·
Registered
203 Posts
One last bit before I pack it in for the evening......

Indeed, I have found videos of 7440 bulbs just flashing in the front location -- no parking lights at all. And, at least from LasFit, it looks like what they've got in the way of 7444/7443 is entirely white/amber alternating. I could give that a shot, though it's not exactly what I've had in mind. I'll have to think about it. There seem to be quite a few "didn't last very long" reviews of the 7444/7443 to be found, as well. I really wanted the reverse lights and the rear signal bulbs, so I've got those. I might just cut my losses right there, and live with the front "as is."

·
Registered
282 Posts
Here's a question, IF one were to install LED's amber signals in the rear only and keep the OEM halogen's in the front, would you still need a pair of bulbs with load resistors/built-in resistors?

My understanding is that when you replace all 4 that's when the hyperflash may/may not occur. :unsure:

·
Registered
91 Posts
With the old flasher relays, that’s how it worked. As far as I can tell for our cars, we get hyperflash if we don’t have CAN-capable LEDs or resistors in any turn signal lamp socket.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have the LasFit CANBUS 7440 bulbs in the rear signals, which have been working just fine. I have been waffling about updating the front signals, given how there have been a lot of negative reviews of them. At least, the "switchback" 7443/7444 bulbs seem to have lots of negative reviews. Apparently they tend to work for most folks, but don't tend to last very long. At this point, I think I'm just going to leave the front end alone. I wanted LED reverse lights, because I wanted more light, and I figured I'd try the 7440's for the rear signals, as I'm mostly worried about people not realizing that I'm stopped and trying to make a turn, and thus plowing into me. But I don't really have the same kind of concern for the front end. I'll probably keep an eye on things, but for now, it appears that 7443/7444 switchback bulbs on the front end is more trouble than they're worth.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts