Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks-

130,000 on the Rav and the front end is getting a bit wobbly. Can you chime in on good quality replacement bits? With manufacturers going overseas, I don't know if the names Bilstein or Monroe really stand for anything anymore. There's a name out there "Detroit Axle" that screams "China" to me. I'll probably do the job myself, so whatever I save in labor, I'm willing to spend in good quality parts.

Oh- while I'm in there- are there any other wear and tear bits that should be replaced?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Bilsten, KYB and Toyota are the best brand. I would not touch the Detroit Axle with a ten foot pole. You can get KYB Strut Plus which is the entire assembly (strut/ spring/ strut mount/ bumper, strut bellow) without using a spring compressor.

If you are not going with the strut assemly like the KYB Strut Plus you should buy the strut bellow. Monroe 908831 or Febest THSB-ACA30F but not the KYB which is a universal boot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have used Monroe on my other cars (Kia, Ford) and hated them, even new. Replaced them with KYB shocks and those were perfect, I even used their Strut Plus models on my Mercury Sable.
IMO Sachs are the same quality as KYB (they are OE on Kia and Hyundai).
Now, I will hazard to say that Bilstein are the OE for Toyota branded shocks. But they are not monotubes, they are twin-tube (B4).

Unfortunately, none of the replacement shocks avaliable for this car are monotubes. It's strange, on my previous cars I had the option to choose between twin-tube and monotube. All the three manufacturers from above make great monotubes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We are about to change our passenger Strut also as it's leaking oil :( We will be trying Gabriel Ultra ReadyMount for both front left and right.

I was thinking of replacing just the strut assembly but the dealership quoted $230 for one :( I usually try to buy Toyota stuff if the price is almost near but that's too expensive for a 14 year old car. plus the boots, and the other parts that needs to be replaced.

Hopefully the Gabriel Ultra ReadyMount will be good to us LOL.. reviews are conflicting.

will update after we got it installed LOL

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
We are about to change our passenger Strut also as it's leaking oil :( We will be trying Gabriel Ultra ReadyMount for both front left and right.

I was thinking of replacing just the strut assembly but the dealership quoted $230 for one :( I usually try to buy Toyota stuff if the price is almost near but that's too expensive for a 14 year old car. plus the boots, and the other parts that needs to be replaced.

Hopefully the Gabriel Ultra ReadyMount will be good to us LOL.. reviews are conflicting.

will update after we got it installed LOL
The Toyota struts are expensive no doubt about that. The Toyota rear shocks are not. You can get KYB struts for just $78 and the Monroe 908831 boot /insulator for $14 at Partsavatar. The Grabriel is mediocre and worst than Monroes. If you want to diy the KYB strut plus is the complete assembly. They are not cheap in Canada but lower in price at Rockauto but so expensive to ship due to size and weight.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks DL175 You are correct, we were looking at the KYB strut plus at rockauto but expensive to ship :( didn't see the KYB Struts on partsavatar when we are searching as it was not showing coz out of stock LOL we needed a right side (passenger side).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts