Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving my '97 Rav4 for 7 years now and I need suggestions on mods and upgrades to make it a little more capable. I'm interested in moderate trails, camping, and overlanding. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
406 Posts
They need more ground clearance, so a suspension lift and bigger tyres. A sump guard is a good idea, but not available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've already got an extra ground wire to the chassis, is that enough?

As for a lift, I was looking into an old man emu suspension kit since I need to swap my suspension anyways. I'm in the market for a new vehicle but I wanted to use the Rav as a weekend camper vehicle, since I won't be too upset if it gets scratched up.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Actually, there is one. It's on the back side of the engine, and if I'm remembering correctly, sheathed in plastic that fills up with water (thus increasing corrosion; they all also get brittle with age too). In most any case, manufacturers generally install very small ground wires -- being made of copper, they must be relatively expensive for them. So the minimum needed is the maximum installed, apparently.

·
Registered
406 Posts
There might be a gnd to the chassis, well there is or it wouldn't work; but the isn't one from the battery direct to the engine.
I thought this was unusual and a potential weak point so added one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts